UK Politics

kalifire

6 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

All parties agree that young people matter and are the future so giving 16/17 year olds the vote should have happened years ago. Most are intelligent enough to know what to do voting wise though moist just won't bother.

Prisoners - life term should not get the vote and those convicted of any crimes that are deemed serious, like rape, adbuction and more should not but jailed for nit paying bills should be allowed to vote.

Yeah I think this is my stance. I always tend to think of anyone in prison for drug offenses - theoretically, they could be in prison for something that a different leader might decriminalise, and so I think should be allowed a vote. But yeah more serious crimes, I think you do give up a lot of your rights, including voting.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I wasn't clear enough. I know people go to prison for non payment but I don't think they should. Cherie Blair raised this  the other day especially for women. The new prisons minister, James Timpson, has said similar in the past. The prisons are full so its a good time to change the punishments.

11 hours ago, steviewevie said:

People's Front Of Judea latest...

This is absolute bullshit. I was sad about Leanne Muhammed losing, but Jody McIntyre, and his and Galloways thugs deserve nothing. If the Greens had stood down and endorsed him I would be out campaigning against them in Bristol. Similarly James Giles.

I don't know details about the two other independents, but every person I know who voted Green was glad about Jess Phillips winning.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SheffJeff said:

Purely replying cos I found it an interesting article and this links to it.

Well they did tell you their no.1 priority was wealth creation - they just never said who they were creating it for.

On 7/5/2024 at 3:16 PM, lazyred said:

True.  I'd be happy with the Scottish system perhaps with a recall mechanism to get rid of regional MPs. Either that or ranking individuals in a single seat

doesn't work as it relies on msp's marking their own work, and they worry they'll be next on trial. huge expenses fraud and no no recall.

On 7/5/2024 at 12:45 PM, fraybentos1 said:

I'm not talking about their policy faults, I'm talking about you repeatedly saying they were never gonna win Bristol central and then they did

they said they'd win in Bristol at the last three elections, and they didn't, i was taking the piss outta their big lies,as a party they're bigger liars than farage

4 hours ago, Neil said:

they said they'd win in Bristol at the last three elections, and they didn't, i was taking the piss outta their big lies,as a party they're bigger liars than farage

IMG_2112.jpeg

5 hours ago, Neil said:

they said they'd win in Bristol at the last three elections, and they didn't

I don't think that can be described as lying 🤣

5 hours ago, Neil said:

as a party they're bigger liars than farage

hmmm, any proof or examples of this? or just plucking it out of thin air as you usually do?

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Love how they call them 'wind farm pylons' to try and separate them from all the other pylons that already exist.

The headline is lovely and misleading as always and I am so please the Right Wing media is attacking the Greens - normally means they are worried by them. Anyone who wants to know more on it should read all the documents connected, of which there are loads, and not just this one.

8 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Love how they call them 'wind farm pylons' to try and separate them from all the other pylons that already exist.

The headline is lovely and misleading as always and I am so please the Right Wing media is attacking the Greens - normally means they are worried by them. Anyone who wants to know more on it should read all the documents connected, of which there are loads, and not just this one.

shows the two sides of Green party...the nimbyism that helps them win in rural tory seats against the radical net zero policies that helps them win in places like Bristol.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

shows the two sides of Green party...the nimbyism that helps them win in rural tory seats against the radical net zero policies that helps them win in places like Bristol.

There is a NIMBY who just does not want something where they are and a NIMBY who wants an alternative that there are plans and budgets for that are supported by many in the energy industry.

Greens love making perfect the enemy of good. 

23 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Anyone who wants to know more on it should read all the documents connected, of which there are loads, and not just this one

very cryptic as always. Greens are just nimbys. This country desperately needs to start building stuff and the greens oppose everything and anything. 

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

There is a NIMBY who just does not want something where they are and a NIMBY who wants an alternative that there are plans and budgets for that are supported by many in the energy industry.

And where is the alternative he is proposing? Offshore if I'm reading that right. So he's a NIMBY 

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

which is going to be a problem for labour in all those seats it has won too...yes to wind farms and solar farms and pylons and more houses...just not here thanks.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so they should do this sh*t now whist they can...just have to have the pylons go round the Green seats so it doesn't spoil their view.

Our local ex Tory MP (yey) campaigned against pylons and turbines and it won her some support.

I do wonder how the UK is going to sort the future cos everybody wants electicity but nobody wants to see the stuff that delivers the electricity.

There are many ways to do it - the exisitng ways which are mostly what National Grid are pushing being those hated by most or new ways of offshore grid stations and burying cables. The latter has problems of it's own as the machinery to do it is massive and will rip apart our countryside.

All the issues have been known about for a long time - but nobody in power has bothered to do anything about them.