UK Politics

kalifire

37 minutes ago, lazyred said:

This is a geniune question. How is the power transmitted without cables? Is it just there are lots of offshore/near shore facilities nearer where the power is needed so the cable runs are shorter?

The main reason we need all the new pylons on land is to carry the power from off shore to the existing National Grid centres. From those the network of cables etc carries it to the end user. The last prt needs upgrading but not as much as the main centres and ability to get the power to them - so build the new ones offshore negates the need for most of the new somewhat hated pylons.

That is the simple way to desribe it - the full details are somewhere out there on the NG website I think

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

There's still a lot of resentment amongst older generations of Scots towards Swinney personally for the ferries scandal.

Wouldn't say this is true. Obv a lot of unhappiness about ferries from island communities but wouldn't say this is something levelled at Swinney personally. 

44 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

They're also absolutely broke, they'd already had all the corruption stuff under Sturgeon, and now their Westminster funding for total MPs has gone down from ~£1.6m to ~300k.

Yep totally. And it showed in their campaign big time.

45 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

And this is with Lib Dems not even focusing any campaigning up there.

Lib Dems did their usual and focussed on realistic seats. They won every one they could have. Not sure where they can target next tbh, they're pretty non-existent in Glasgow and the borders

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The green guy is saying we need more affordable pylons?

LOLing but in a way, yes.

Built off shore new additions to the grid will be far cheaper and negate the need for so many new pylons................. making it all more affordable.

55 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

They've got a massive rebuilding job to do. There's still a lot of resentment amongst older generations of Scots towards Swinney personally for the ferries scandal. Then the younger supporters who are socially liberal detest their backwards thinking homophobic deputy leader. They're also absolutely broke, they'd already had all the corruption stuff under Sturgeon, and now their Westminster funding for total MPs has gone down from ~£1.6m to ~300k.

Add in the Tories holding all 5 of their Scottish seats (or did they lose 1 gain 1?), and SNP didn't make gains against anyone. And this is with Lib Dems not even focusing any campaigning up there. Having reclaimed the South West, I'd expect the Lib Dems to look at their former long-established Scottish seats as future targets.

Douglas Ross lost, so they must have won somewhere! ( hilarious since he did a chicken run)

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Wouldn't say this is true. Obv a lot of unhappiness about ferries from island communities but wouldn't say this is something levelled at Swinney personally. 

Yep totally. And it showed in their campaign big time.

Lib Dems did their usual and focussed on realistic seats. They won every one they could have. Not sure where they can target next tbh, they're pretty non-existent in Glasgow and the borders

It happened last time Swinney was leader and he took a lot of direct personal flak for it at the time? My gran, uncle, and their friends always cited it as a failure of the SNP generally and Swinney personally.

I mean, the Lib Dems won 62/80(?) target seats across the entire country. It's going to be very very hard for them to make many more gains, but I'd have thought their 7-9k votes in various Scottish seats they held back in the 90s/00s would be ones they'll target over the next 10 years.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Douglas Ross lost, so they must have won somewhere! ( hilarious since he did a chicken run)

I know the 3 border seats were holds, and the Guardian map of the 2 Aberdeenshire seats are showing as holds, but maybe this is some weird thing about the boundary changes and where Ross' was/became.

3 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I've yet to see you criticise any Labour party candidate to the same level of scrutiny... almost like you have a weird agenda

oh wait maybe Corbyn and Abbott but that's it... 

labour candidate didn't have the same amount of press coverage. local tory candidates where killed-off by the "tory press" for betting .

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The green guy is saying we need more affordable pylons?

wonder if the green guy has a way of getting the steel for those pylons?

11 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Built off shore new additions to the grid will be far cheaper and negate the need for so many new pylons................. making it all more affordable.

are the emissions for building those being off-shored??

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I like their opposition to nuclear

have you turned everything off yet to experience green party energy policy, hey, you can be a leader in green thinking, just turn it all off.  If you post we'll know you don't really believe the green party.

Labour now planning to go further than lifting the ban on onshore wind and class it as nationally significant infrastructure

This would mean Ed Miliband would decide on approving large windfarms, rather than local councils

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Labour now planning to go further than lifting the ban on onshore wind and class it as nationally significant infrastructure

This would mean Ed Miliband would decide on approving large windfarms, rather than local councils

Going to stick them all over Waveney Valley

A few points been made about Scotland.  The Tories had 6 seats and now have 5 so they lost one  - Hilariously Douglas Ross managed to lose to the SNP.

As to the question of whether independence is off the agenda - I'm sue it is but both Labour & Tories have made clear it would be off the agenda whatever the election result.  Interestingly opinion polls appear to suggest that support for Independence has remained fairly stable despite the fall in support for the SNP.

The SNP clearly had a disastrous election  - even worse than many were predicting  - although considering all that has happened in the past couple of years  - not really surprising.

The good news is that the Tories got their lowest General Election vote share ever in Scotland and came 5th in both Edinburgh & Glasgow. And the combined vote share of Tory & reform in Scotland was about half what it was in England - just confirming what we all know... us Scots are wonderful people. 🙂

5 minutes ago, LJS said:

A few points been made about Scotland.  The Tories had 6 seats and now have 5 so they lost one  - Hilariously Douglas Ross managed to lose to the SNP.

As to the question of whether independence is off the agenda - I'm sue it is but both Labour & Tories have made clear it would be off the agenda whatever the election result.  Interestingly opinion polls appear to suggest that support for Independence has remained fairly stable despite the fall in support for the SNP.

The SNP clearly had a disastrous election  - even worse than many were predicting  - although considering all that has happened in the past couple of years  - not really surprising.

The good news is that the Tories got their lowest General Election vote share ever in Scotland and came 5th in both Edinburgh & Glasgow. And the combined vote share of Tory & reform in Scotland was about half what it was in England - just confirming what we all know... us Scots are wonderful people. 🙂

I imagine if Labour prove to be sh*t it will be very much on the agenda again.

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Both have costs - environmental and financial. 

Offshore still needs to come on shore and be stored etc.  

We're currently fighting this where I live, but the reality is it has to go somewhere! 

https://www.minstermarshes.com/

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

We're currently fighting this where I live, but the reality is it has to go somewhere! 

capacity too...we're about to replace all the other fuels with electricty. Pylons and cables everywhere!

1 hour ago, LJS said:

Ah, I'd thought they'd have 5. Fair enough. Did boundary changes favour or screw them?

51 minutes ago, stuie said:

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

capacity too...we're about to replace all the other fuels with electricty. Pylons and cables everywhere!

It's almost like we have known we have a problem to fix for a long time and sat back and done nothing about it and now need to sort it fast but have no idea where, what and how to do just that.

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It's almost like we have known we have a problem to fix for a long time and sat back and done nothing about it and now need to sort it fast but have no idea where, what and how to do just that.

Well Thatcher started it by closing the coal mines.