UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Ah, I'd thought they'd have 5. Fair enough. Did boundary changes favour or screw them?

I don't think boundary changes had anything to do do with it. I think Douglas Ross kicking out an ill (but recovering) candidate & replacing him with (checks notes)  Douglas Ross may not have been a great look.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

could we concrete over Gavin Williamson?

9 minutes ago, LJS said:

I don't think boundary changes had anything to do do with it. I think Douglas Ross kicking out an ill (but recovering) candidate & replacing him with (checks notes)  Douglas Ross may not have been a great look.

Yeah that makes sense, I was just curious. They had quite big impacts around here (probably helped get rid of Rees-Mogg), and I wondered if you knew of any impact up there.

How did this one fly under the radar?

So along with half the NEC and a load of erstwhile political lobbyists and Alistair Campbell’s nephew we now also have Sue Grey’s son MP.

Nice and representative. I wonder did Starmer just put a facebook status out saying ’anyone wanna be an MP?’

IMG_2113.jpeg

Getting rid of Northern Ireland would save the treasury north of 10bil a year.

Sinn Fein is now the largest party in both the westminster election and the assembly.

If I’m Hilary Benn, I’m calling that border poll tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Getting rid of Northern Ireland would save the treasury north of 10bil a year.

Sinn Fein is now the largest party in both the westminster election and the assembly.

If I’m Hilary Benn, I’m calling that border poll tomorrow.

Friday would be a good day to announce it

image.png.751818d168e989f81d550051da02bcc7.png

Edited by LJS
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

that big?

yep and thats apparently just to "stand still" to cover the aging population and north sea oil revenue as we move to net zero.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

yep and thats apparently just to "stand still" to cover the aging population and north sea oil revenue as we move to net zero.

If only there was a way to get more working age people earning and paying tax as well as having green energy that raises revenue as well............................................

Out with the old and in with the new mind set.

1 hour ago, lost said:

yeah well this was the conspiracy of silence thing that IFS was accusing all the main parties of. Have to see what Reeves does in the autumn, and some of it will depend on OBR forecasts but I expect there will be some tax rises somewhere. They will probably regret ruling out raising those main taxes.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah well this was the conspiracy of silence thing that IFS was accusing all the main parties of. Have to see what Reeves does in the autumn, and some of it will depend on OBR forecasts but I expect there will be some tax rises somewhere. They will probably regret ruling out raising those main taxes.

Some of the papers look like they've jumped on the state pension being means tested. You'd think that would save a fortune but be pretty unpopular.