UK Politics

kalifire

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Surely it does it just gets spent differently and puts more in people’s pockets than energy companies and shareholders 

Yeah I was referring more to the large tariffs on panels keeping the technology out of reach to many.

21 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Seems to be at least a change to the renewables on wind at least . Interesting to see what comes over the hill . Seems absolutely sensible to have them on buildings that already exist rather than farmland . Although I guess that kind of scale is much cheaper and quicker to do 

Several years ago I had a discussion with my right leaning brother who hates solar panels and thinks they are the devils work - he asked where they were all going to be put.

I simply said "on roofs"

He ended the conversation.

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I advise anyone who listens to a word that comes out of Streeting's mouth to google two things:

firstly "cass report yale critique"

secondly: "right wing licksplittle c**t"

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2024 at 9:17 AM, MilkyJoe said:

We can't be having cheap energy that doesn't generate money for the government no matter how green it is...

If it's made in China it's not green and the greens want to turn off our best source of clean energy, cos, prejudices. They might as well be Tories.

Edited by Neil

6 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I advise anyone who listens to a word that comes out of Streeting's mouth to google two things:

I guess what Streeting is saying that there should be a pause until more evidence, or at least until more consensus.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I guess what Streeting is saying that there should be a pause until more evidence, or at least until more consensus.

I'm very confident that what he's saying is "I'm a bootlicker for billionaires, and I'm still a right-wing licksplittle c**t"

Edited by kaosmark2

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Thought we were supposed to do less conspiratorial vitriol now.

I mean, I don't think it's conspiratorial. He will meet people who spend their entire time online attacking a marginalised group, just because they're a billionaire, meanwhile he refuses to listen to trans people. His recommendations go far far beyond what the Cass Report (which has now been discredited by legal and medical researchers at Yale, even though most of us knew it was BS at time of release).

https://law.yale.edu/sites/default/files/documents/integrity-project_cass-response.pdf

You can also see a bunch of criticism/fears from a prominent UK rights lawyer:

https://x.com/JolyonMaugham

And these decisions have led to a rise in teen suicides which the NHS tried to suppress:

https://goodlawproject.org/rise-of-deaths-young-trans-people/

And Dr Rosena Allin-Khan, a literal practicing doctor and Labour MP, and one of the only Labour MPs who had a massively increased vote count in the election, has clashed with his support for the private health sector:

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/labour-reshuffle-keir-starmer-yes-men-2592540?ico=best_of_opinion

I'm not linking to weird minor sources here. I'm linking to Yale University, the (founder of ) Good Law Project, and the Independent.

If he stops showing vitriol for people in this country, I'll stop showing him vitriol. But so far he's shown himself to be politically to the right of Theresa May on queer rights, and on social care.

9 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I mean, I don't think it's conspiratorial. He will meet people who spend their entire time online attacking a marginalised group, just because they're a billionaire, meanwhile he refuses to listen to trans people. His recommendations go far far beyond what the Cass Report (which has now been discredited by legal and medical researchers at Yale, even though most of us knew it was BS at time of release).

https://law.yale.edu/sites/default/files/documents/integrity-project_cass-response.pdf

And these decisions have led to a rise in teen suicides which the NHS tried to suppress:

And Dr Rosena Allin-Khan, a literal practicing doctor and Labour MP, and one of the only Labour MPs who had a massively increased vote count in the election, has clashed with his support for the private health sector:

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/labour-reshuffle-keir-starmer-yes-men-2592540?ico=best_of_opinion

I'm not linking to weird minor sources here. I'm linking to Yale University, the (founder of ) Good Law Project, and the Independent.

If he stops showing vitriol for people in this country, I'll stop showing him vitriol. But so far he's shown himself to be politically to the right of Theresa May on queer rights, and on social care.

Ok, well he is just following the findings of the Cass report. Yes other academics disagree, but some might argue they are ideological and their evidence is flakey.

Just now, steviewevie said:

Ok, well he is just following the findings of the Cass report. Yes other academics disagree, but some might argue they are ideological and their evidence is flakey.

No, he's going beyond the Cass report. Even that didn't recommend an actual ban. This is more extreme.

But, and I want to make clear, the Cass Report's complaint about "insufficient evidence" was that there hadn't been "double-blind trials" conducted on trans healthcare. Do you understand what a double-blind trial means? It means that neither the patient or doctor can be aware of whether they're getting actual treatment or a placebo. But guess what, humans are smart enough to realise that if their skin changes, their voice deepens, and they grow body hair, that they're on testosterone, and that if their skin softens, and they grow breasts, they're on oestrogen. As are their doctors. And certainly, surgeons performing gender reassignment surgery are aware if they're doing it.

This isn't a "both sides are citing different evidence" issue. This is one side stacking up an entire weight of mass evidence, and the other side going "no, we don't like that evidence". It's akin to climate deniers going "but there's been temperature shifts before, show that without human activity it would've risen less". 

Streeting isn't both-sides-ing this issue. He has taken the stance of attacks. He's aligned with Braverman, Putin and the right-wing end of the Republican Party. He's to the right of Badenoch, Hunt, Bush, hell, he's to the right of f**king Modi. He's not being reasonable here.

and by vitriol I mean the silly sh*t like calling Streeting transphobic (or hating queers which is kind of wtf) or from the other side anyone supporting trans rights hating women or if they're a labour MP they support genocide or if they are for a ceasefire they're antisemitic. So much stupid sh*t gets thrown around, everyone shouting at each other or worse, whilst some people are actually just trying to find a way through and sort it out .

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

No, he's going beyond the Cass report. Even that didn't recommend an actual ban. This is more extreme.

But, and I want to make clear, the Cass Report's complaint about "insufficient evidence" was that there hadn't been "double-blind trials" conducted on trans healthcare. Do you understand what a double-blind trial means? It means that neither the patient or doctor can be aware of whether they're getting actual treatment or a placebo. But guess what, humans are smart enough to realise that if their skin changes, their voice deepens, and they grow body hair, that they're on testosterone, and that if their skin softens, and they grow breasts, they're on oestrogen. As are their doctors. And certainly, surgeons performing gender reassignment surgery are aware if they're doing it.

This isn't a "both sides are citing different evidence" issue. This is one side stacking up an entire weight of mass evidence, and the other side going "no, we don't like that evidence". It's akin to climate deniers going "but there's been temperature shifts before, show that without human activity it would've risen less". 

Streeting isn't both-sides-ing this issue. He has taken the stance of attacks. He's aligned with Braverman, Putin and the right-wing end of the Republican Party. He's to the right of Badenoch, Hunt, Bush, hell, he's to the right of f**king Modi. He's not being reasonable here.

whatever

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

The campaign against the Cass review has started again I see. Stonewall et al tried to trash it before publication and had to back down. None of the criticisms have stood up. The Scottish Govt review of the Cass report has just reported and supports its conclusions.

The Cass review looked at properly conducted scientific papers and concluded  there is no evidence to support puberty blockers for gender dysphoria in children. It asked for a proper study which I believe is being set up. Why are you afraid of collecting the evidence before recommending a treatment?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and by vitriol I mean the silly sh*t like calling Streeting transphobic (or hating queers which is kind of wtf) or from the other side anyone supporting trans rights hating women or if they're a labour MP they support genocide or if they are for a ceasefire they're antisemitic. So much stupid sh*t gets thrown around, everyone shouting at each other or worse, whilst some people are actually just trying to find a way through and sort it out .

Streeting's actions and words have been transphobic. He's also said that Alan Sugar should be allowed to call his workers "a chain of puffs coming through the boardroom".

The stuff about genocide/antisemitic and using those lines has largely got extreme.

I do, in the vast majority of cases, think that Labour MPs are trying to do positive things for people, and trying to find a sensible balance. Streeting is one of a very few exceptions.

3 minutes ago, lazyred said:

The campaign against the Cass review has started again I see. Stonewall et al tried to trash it before publication and had to back down. None of the criticisms have stood up. The Scottish Govt review of the Cass report has just reported and supports its conclusions.

The Cass review looked at properly conducted scientific papers and concluded  there is no evidence to support puberty blockers for gender dysphoria in children. It asked for a proper study which I believe is being set up. Why are you afraid of collecting the evidence before recommending a treatment?

Trans kids are committing suicide while unreasonable demands for double blind trials (which couldn't happen) are being made:

10 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

35 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

7 minutes ago, lazyred said:

aren't the Yale researchers part of the group that was mentioned in Cass as providing insufficient evidence.

All Streeting is calling for is wait for more evidence that blocking hormones during adolescence doesn't lead to all sorts of physiological and psychological problems for that person in the future.

23 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Trans kids are committing suicide while unreasonable demands for double blind trials (which couldn't happen) are being made:

Final Cass Report Summary page 33 section 86:

86. It has been suggested that hormone
treatment reduces the elevated risk of death
by suicide in this population, but the evidence
found did not support this conclusion

Hilary Cass is the former president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. Her critics are well known trans activists. Who to believe?

43 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

But, and I want to make clear, the Cass Report's complaint about "insufficient evidence" was that there hadn't been "double-blind trials" conducted on trans healthcare.

Not true, read the report.