UK Politics

kalifire

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Apparently this hasn't gone down very well with Green party members/voters...

There's a bunch of noisy people on twitter who are complaining about it because of Biden arming Israel, and saying it's ridiculous. It's just ideological purity nonsense from the noisy left.

I haven't checked with people directly yet, but I don't think of all the people I know who voted for her in Bristol, that anyone will give the slightest shits that she wrote a generic diplomatic tweet.

I think this is just an example of twitter noise.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

There's a bunch of noisy people on twitter who are complaining about it because of Biden arming Israel, and saying it's ridiculous. It's just ideological purity nonsense from the noisy left.

I haven't checked with people directly yet, but I don't think of all the people I know who voted for her in Bristol, that anyone will give the slightest shits that she wrote a generic diplomatic tweet.

I think this is just an example of twitter noise.

Its also members of the party, including failed MP candidates

Sounds like the Greens have some of the nuttier elements of the far left who ran away from Labour involved...

Well for many on the left Israel/Palestine is the issue, and the carnage in Gaza has only made this more profound. Biden, or genocide Joe as they cheerily call him, is tarnished with effectively supporting Netanyahu and Israel as they carry out endless atrocities and war crimes, and possibly genocide. Would any other president have been different? We might be about to find out. 

So it not that surprising that some have reacted like that to Denyer's tweet, but also shows the divisions within the Green party as they have to negotiate purity vs pragmatism...

46 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Sounds like the Greens have some of the nuttier elements of the far left who ran away from Labour involved...

Well reaching out for "disillusioned Labour voters" will attract the cranks.

We'll see how well they handle them. They did remove candidacy from and kick out a bunch of anti-semites before the election, but it's going to be a problem.

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

Owen Jones called Biden a monster who belongs in jail. It’s a complex debate and comments like that may get people to click like, but also contribute to this horrible atmosphere in politics.

20 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Owen Jones called Biden a monster who belongs in jail. It’s a complex debate and comments like that may get people to click like, but also contribute to this horrible atmosphere in politics.

he's going after anyone saying nice things about Biden...

On 7/19/2024 at 8:54 AM, Nobody Interesting said:

There are very few countries that send people to prison for peaceful protest.

The likes of Iran, Belarus, Russia, China and the UK are included in them.

the4y're not sent to prison for protesting. but for the disruption. if it suits you to lie about it, you are Nigel and i claim my five pounds

1 hour ago, Neil said:

the4y're not sent to prison for protesting. but for the disruption. if it suits you to lie about it, you are Nigel and i claim my five pounds

Looks like Yvette might be prepared to take a more enlightened view than you.
image.png.655bea1dcbf7dd3dcdb0aae639452295.png

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jul/22/yvette-cooper-could-abandon-law-that-criminalised-peaceful-protests

7 hours ago, LJS said:

it's an offence to block a motorway whether for protest or not - these people were going to court (which makes clear there was an offence, not for protesting), before they increased the penalties.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

it's an offence to block a motorway whether for protest or not - these people were going to court (which makes clear there was an offence, not for protesting), before they increased the penalties.

How do you feel about the sentences these guys got?

25 minutes ago, LJS said:

How do you feel about the sentences these guys got?

Wasnt it their 10th/11th offence and the main guy was already on a suspended sentence?

if it was a first time offence, its too harsh. If they are repeat offenders, then not sure what they expect...

11 hours ago, LJS said:

I hope she does - the UK cannot be angry and stand on a high pedastal about what the UAE did yesterday (jailin gpeoiple for peaceful protest) when the UK does just that itself............................. and the UK does it only against certain groups, farmers were not jailed for their very disruptive protersts were they!

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

If the UK builds solar, wind and toidal then the UK does not need nuclear. It really is that simple.

No nuclear takes away two things, a reason for delay as all others a re built faster and a reason for higher bills as currentl nuclear contracts are coming in higher than electric is now whereas the other stuff should be 15-20% of the cost now.

Nuclear really is not needed.