UK Politics

kalifire

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

What proportion of the electorate are watching the news in the school holidays now the election has finished? I think that’s political bubble thinking.

even then the news is starmer looking all macho against the trots

(still think it was unnecessary and could well backfire)

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Scrapping small denomination coins is shown historically to add to inflation as all companies round prices up to the nearest new 5/10p level.

Unlikely to have much effect in the long run, I suspect most items priced now at say £2.99 would be reduced to £2.95 rather than be increased to £3.05. The reality is that 1p and 2p are basically worthless at this point, it does make sense to scrap them, and I say this as an advocate of cash. The old copper 1p and 2p (pre 1992) are probably worth more than their face value in metal now, may well be worth hanging on to those.

37 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

He isn’t a great politician, but Sunak comes across a decent person. I know not being a complete twat is a low bar, but it’s one Truss and Boris couldnt reach.

Well it's early days of a new government and he isn't going to go hell for leather on attacks when he just lost power by a landslide...but yes by all accounts he's a nice guy, works hard, good to work with etc, and probably could have been a better PM if hadn't felt he had to appease the right with all the stop the boats nonsense.

Quite often politicians seem much more reasonable when removed from the party politics arena.

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

What proportion of the electorate are watching the news in the school holidays now the election has finished? I think that’s political bubble thinking.

Enough to make a difference - and then add the 'headline readers'.

It all sows seeds in peoples heads.

13 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Unlikely to have much effect in the long run, I suspect most items priced now at say £2.99 would be reduced to £2.95 rather than be increased to £3.05. The reality is that 1p and 2p are basically worthless at this point, it does make sense to scrap them, and I say this as an advocate of cash. The old copper 1p and 2p (pre 1992) are probably worth more than their face value in metal now, may well be worth hanging on to those.

As I said, history shows they round UP hence it being inflationary.

21 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Wish the press would take them through some of what the echr does and ask them line by line if they would like to change these things ? !!! 

It's all about what please party members so going to be a lot of this stuff. I think both main parties need to give party members less of a say, they aren't real people.

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Enough to make a difference - and then add the 'headline readers'.

It all sows seeds in peoples heads.

Sows seeds that Starmer acts tough against disloyal lefties with a public who want to keep the cap anyway.

It's the seeds in MPs heads that Starmer needs to worry about.

Merged - Alvoram

Edited by Alvoram

I can't find the one with subtitles but near the end they talk about immigration and third countires and Starner says he has to have lots of hard conversations with his party and it will be difficult to get it past them - or somethign like that.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/keir-starmer-walk-chat-italian-153113279.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZWNvc2lhLm9yZy8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFv6ryEJsMc_bke4F376I5zHjwVZLTMY8CJanC3JYBxb4qq3HRrhEjBeRbxlxcPPsS1mOtA8aZ8nKH2tFh33NLnQ7jNnUGkDBnnewk-DracTZo77fW5VicQWplVF-_4Fd8sAC6IxvOYJPJpF891kaL2wf6mD07bRaqyMaCR_o7ET

He sometimes sounds more Tory than a Tory!

This is good.......

But, why does the Crown Estate 'own' it all and why when the CE yesterday announced record profits of £1.1 billion did the amount the tax payer have them went up by lots? The taxpayer should not have to pay to lease land from them AND then pay them annual money so they can buy new helicoptors.

""

The government is set to use British seabed owned by the Royal Family to help build windfarms which it hopes will power 20 million homes.

It is the first major plan to be announced by Great British Energy, the government's new company aimed at increasing renewable energy which will receive £8.3bn in state funding over the next five years.

Energy Secretary Ed Miliband claimed the initiative would "lead to lower bills" for households.

But the Conservatives said GB Energy is "nothing but a gimmick that will end up costing families".

The deal with the Crown Estate means that the monarchy's land and property business will lease the land on which windfarms can be developed and built.

The Crown Estate owns the majority of the seabed which stretches up to 12 nautical miles from the mainland.""

13 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I can't find the one with subtitles but near the end they talk about immigration and third countires and Starner says he has to have lots of hard conversations with his party and it will be difficult to get it past them - or somethign like that.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/keir-starmer-walk-chat-italian-153113279.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZWNvc2lhLm9yZy8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFv6ryEJsMc_bke4F376I5zHjwVZLTMY8CJanC3JYBxb4qq3HRrhEjBeRbxlxcPPsS1mOtA8aZ8nKH2tFh33NLnQ7jNnUGkDBnnewk-DracTZo77fW5VicQWplVF-_4Fd8sAC6IxvOYJPJpF891kaL2wf6mD07bRaqyMaCR_o7ET

He sometimes sounds more Tory than a Tory!

he certainly isn't pro immigration and open borders.

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

he certainly isn't pro immigration and open borders.

Labour are talking tough now partly to cover for them granting asylum to the majority of the people who arrived illegally. However they got here if they can't be sent home then they are refugees. They are processing the ones they can return first but the rest will be allowed to stay. 

The problem is that allowing asylum claims will attract more people. Before the next election they need a refugee/return deal with the EU or something to deter the boats. 

3 hours ago, lazyred said:

Labour are talking tough now partly to cover for them granting asylum to the majority of the people who arrived illegally. However they got here if they can't be sent home then they are refugees. They are processing the ones they can return first but the rest will be allowed to stay. 

The problem is that allowing asylum claims will attract more people. Before the next election they need a refugee/return deal with the EU or something to deter the boats. 

I notice they changed the term from illegal migration to irregular migration.

I wonder if they'll bring in ID cards?

17 minutes ago, lazyred said:

People arrive illegally because there are no legal routes, and refugees are allowed to seek routes to come to this country. The UK, like all Western countries, has signed up to take a number of refugees.

Stopping the boats involves creating safe/legal routes, and processing claims quicker.

All of the media gabble about how many are being put up in hotels for years is because the Tories stopped processing claims. The UK already takes far fewer asylum seekers than France.

30 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

People arrive illegally because there are no legal routes, and refugees are allowed to seek routes to come to this country. The UK, like all Western countries, has signed up to take a number of refugees.

Stopping the boats involves creating safe/legal routes, and processing claims quicker.

All of the media gabble about how many are being put up in hotels for years is because the Tories stopped processing claims. The UK already takes far fewer asylum seekers than France.

I agree with all that, as far as I'm concerned they are refugees and eligible for asylum. I'll describe it as irregular migration instead of illegal from now on. I still think its a problem for Labour if they can't do a deal with the EU to share out the arrivals.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, lazyred said:

I agree with all that, as far as I'm concerned they are refugees and eligible for asylum. I'll describe it as irregular migration instead of illegal from now on. I still think its a problem for Labour if they can't do a deal with the EU to share out the arrivals.

The thing is, despite the media conflating them, asylum seeking isn't even migration in the same sense. People don't risk a dangerous sea crossing on small boats for our benefits system or under-the-table jobs. The majority of people who should be deported under current laws arrived legally on a visa, and are then staying/working after their temporary visa/studies/holiday ends.

And while I think the media/right-wing panic about migration generally is morally, socially, and economically wrong, I don't have any problems with having some crackdown on actual illegal migration. I just think we should be fulfilling at minimum our international commitments regarding refugees, and legal migration would actually help fill gaps in our care sector. Arresting the narrative back to more accurately defining the 3 separately, and managing the issues separately is something I don't really have any hope will happen, but does need to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

The thing is, despite the media conflating them, asylum seeking isn't even migration in the same sense. People don't risk a dangerous sea crossing on small boats for our benefits system or under-the-table jobs. The majority of people who should be deported under current laws arrived legally on a visa, and are then staying/working after their temporary visa/studies/holiday ends.

And while I think the media/right-wing panic about migration generally is morally, socially, and economically wrong, I don't have any problems with having some crackdown on actual illegal migration. I just think we should be fulfilling at minimum our international commitments regarding refugees, and legal migration would actually help fill gaps in our care sector. Arresting the narrative back to more accurately defining the 3 separately, and managing the issues separately is something I don't really have any hope will happen, but does need to.

So many of these folks arriving are well qualified with numerous who are now NHS staff having arrived over the years 'illegally'.

As most countries are desparate for skilled workers I do wonder how long it will be before EU countries and the UK are squabbling over who has the most of these skilled workers.

I say grab them while we can, get them working and paying tax to help the UK grow again.

Well it didn't take the scammers long!! I had to point it out to the wife who read it as British several times before realising.

The link on the advert is to greatbritainenergy......... bastards.

Claim Your FREE GOV.UK Insulation Grant Now 👉

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'll probably get cancelled for this but...

The biggest nationality out of all the channel crossings this year is Vietnam. Can you really be classed as a refugee coming from there? They aren't feeling war. They can't all be being persecuted.

people smuggling

Wasn't there a container full of suffocated Vietnamese found a few years ago before small boats became the main method?

I was in Dublin at the weekend and there was a masive protest against asylum seekers. I wouldn't be suprised to see a major European country breaks ranks soon.