UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

people smuggling

Wasn't there a container full of suffocated Vietnamese found a few years ago before small boats became the main method?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50194118

Just heard Lee Anderson praising the copper who kicked the person in the head saying what they did was absolutely fine.

Seems Reform are in favour of police brutality then.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Just heard Lee Anderson praising the copper who kicked the person in the head saying what they did was absolutely fine.

Seems Reform are in favour of police brutality then.

Lee Anderson seems to say the first thing that pops into his thick skull ... not sure he follows any party line 

40 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'll probably get cancelled for this but...

The biggest nationality out of all the channel crossings this year is Vietnam. Can you really be classed as a refugee coming from there? They aren't feeling war. They can't all be being persecuted.

every case should be judged individually , thats the importance of clearing backlogs .... id imagine they want to come here because family members are also here . Someone I know works closely with refugees and recently quite a few arrived from various South American countries , we need to get it out our heads that these people are of some threat to us when migration has economic benefits , we also need to be making moves to house them which it seems is starting to happen 

10 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I guess so but I was reading this 

Failed asylum seekers to be sent back to Vietnam - BBC News

and it doesn't seem that was in this instance

Yeah I guess coming across on small boats doesn't fit with human trafficking because they know they get picked up as soon as boat lands and then start the asylum process...but then again because the backlog and a broken system many can just disappear once in. 

These people probably just leave Vietnam hoping they can make money in Europe and send home, and pay people smugglers to help them do it, and then get put on these boats because the whole back of lorry and container method has got too hard cause of new scanning technologies etc

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ed will explain it to you

Maybe I'm being picky here, but  as I understand it, an "electricity company" would generate, distribute or sell electricity. Is GBE going to do any of these?

12 minutes ago, LJS said:

Maybe I'm being picky here, but  as I understand it, an "electricity company" would generate, distribute or sell electricity. Is GBE going to do any of these?

it's going to help generate, distribute and sell electricity.

or something.

and yes, maybe a bit picky.

There was a bloke from just stop oil on politics live today. What really strikes me about the organisation is how terrible the people they put on tv to communicate the message is.

To me one of the big issues is at times they look like a load of middle class activists disrupting the lives of normal people . The bloke was talking about how disgraceful it was sending someone from Cambridge University to jail, that is a line of argument that will get no sympathy.

On 7/19/2024 at 8:54 AM, Nobody Interesting said:

There are very few countries that send people to prison for peaceful protest.

The likes of Iran, Belarus, Russia, China and the UK are included in them.

Looking forward to folk on here justifying it when these guys get jailed

image.png.e57122506ce99f93c2cfb8a5a40d3f5f.png

not sure what Vincent Van Broth  would make of it.

Would he be consomméd with rage?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

If only someone had told her..

Edited by LJS

she has to win.

You know I was born in US, but..but British/Australian parents, and brought over here when I was about one, so never had a US passport but my Dad later became an American citizen. So, maybe I could still become a US citizen, infact I think I can...might do it just so I can be that one vote that wins it for Kamala.

Actually, could I vote? Or do I need to go live there? Could get complicated.

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well yeah, bit of honesty about this during the campaign might have helped. Big unknown is what is Reeves going to do about it.

Agreed in an ideal world, but do all parties sign up to this honesty? If not are the ones that do punished or rewarded?