UK Politics

kalifire

13 hours ago, steviewevie said:

or you aren't listening.

Oh I am listening.....

Truss was going to deliver, deliver
Sunak had a plan and was sticking to it
Starmer says we need growth............................. but so far has not offered any definitive plan.

27 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Oh I am listening.....

Truss was going to deliver, deliver
Sunak had a plan and was sticking to it
Starmer says we need growth............................. but so far has not offered any definitive plan.

Truss idea was borrow to cut taxes which never had a chance cause the markets said no 

Starmer's is to liberalise planning regulations to build houses and renewables and investment funds and industrial strategies that may or may not work.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Truss idea was borrow to cut taxes which never had a chance cause the markets said no 

Starmer's is to liberalise planning regulations to build houses and renewables and investment funds and industrial strategies that may or may not work.

Labour want to build 1.5 million homes.
The last lot built around 1.2 million in the same period - there was little or no growth.
Not sure how another 300k homes will change that.

The last lot for a while built heaps of offshore wind.
There was little or no growth.
Not sure how doing more will change that.

Growth building requires far more than just 2 measures and also requires UK companies getting the contracts or the growth mostly goes overseas - yet most wind is to overseas companies and all nuclear is too.

Don't get me wrong - I want them to succeed - I just see and hear nothing that makes me think anything is going to change anytime soon (being the next 5 years).
The old methods have failed for a long time now, because the system they support no longer works as hoped.
Unless you fix the foundations then the building will not be strong and stable.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Labour want to build 1.5 million homes.
The last lot built around 1.2 million in the same period - there was little or no growth.
Not sure how another 300k homes will change that.

The last lot for a while built heaps of offshore wind.
There was little or no growth.
Not sure how doing more will change that.

Growth building requires far more than just 2 measures and also requires UK companies getting the contracts or the growth mostly goes overseas - yet most wind is to overseas companies and all nuclear is too.

Don't get me wrong - I want them to succeed - I just see and hear nothing that makes me think anything is going to change anytime soon (being the next 5 years).
The old methods have failed for a long time now, because the system they support no longer works as hoped.
Unless you fix the foundations then the building will not be strong and stable.

That is part of it, along with the wealth fund and GB Energy. Yes it may not work, but that is the plan and it's disingenuous to say they haven't got one. None of this is easy.

Edited by steviewevie

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

That is part of it, along with the wealth fund and GB Energy. Yes it may not work, but that is the plan and it's disingenuous to say they haven't got one. None of this is easy.

The UK has no money to put in a wealth fund though.

and GB Energy is not going to add anything to GDP for a long long time.

No it is not easy, but surely just doing what has been done for a long time and expecting better results is a bit 'daft'?

8 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The UK has no money to put in a wealth fund though.

and GB Energy is not going to add anything to GDP for a long long time.

No it is not easy, but surely just doing what has been done for a long time and expecting better results is a bit 'daft'?

They borrow to invest.

In hindsight Labour should have not agreed to not reverse the recent NI cuts, they were done purely as an electoral trap which is just sh*t governing but hey ho that's democracy. So, maybe they should take the hit now and reverse them, use bullshit line they didn't know it was this bad and blame the last government, that would go a long way to fixing that 20bn hole. Then they can do more clever things with the tax system to make simpler and fairer etc before next election.

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

In hindsight Labour should have not agreed to not reverse the recent NI cuts, they were done purely as an electoral trap which is just sh*t governing but hey ho that's democracy. So, maybe they should take the hit now and reverse them, use bullshit line they didn't know it was this bad and blame the last government, that would go a long way to fixing that 20bn hole. Then they can do more clever things with the tax system to make simpler and fairer etc before next election.

Absolutely they should not have agreed to keep the NI cut especially as the polls showed huge public support for reversing the cuts - but they did not and it showed really poor judgement.

Leaks to the media are suggesting the £20bn shortfall is going to be dealt with by delaying road and hospital building projects.
Which avoids them raising taxes but IMHO sho0ws poor judgement as growth in the UK requires construction, so delayng construction projects is not going to bring the growth their plans need!

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Absolutely they should not have agreed to keep the NI cut especially as the polls showed huge public support for reversing the cuts - but they did not and it showed really poor judgement.

Leaks to the media are suggesting the £20bn shortfall is going to be dealt with by delaying road and hospital building projects.
Which avoids them raising taxes but IMHO sho0ws poor judgement as growth in the UK requires construction, so delayng construction projects is not going to bring the growth their plans need!

They won't be making decisions like that yet I don't think, will come in autumn statement.

Some suggesting tax rises too.

Flat 30% on pension tax relief

Capitial gains tax brought inline with income tax

Some of the inheritence tax exemptions being abolished such as passing your house onto your children.

38 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Reeves is making  a statement on Monday and the leaks are that this is what she will be saying.

She's going to say it's well and truly f**ked and it's all the fault of the last government and now she has to sort it out and you ain't going to like it.

But budget (fiscal statement) probably won't be till autumn.

21 minutes ago, lost said:

Some suggesting tax rises too.

Flat 30% on pension tax relief

Capitial gains tax brought inline with income tax

Some of the inheritence tax exemptions being abolished such as passing your house onto your children.

All good...but will it raise enough?

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

They won't be making decisions like that yet I don't think, will come in autumn statement.

I'm sure the decisions are more or less made since they have known about the problem since before the election. Its only when they announce them that is in doubt.

Edited by LJS

3 minutes ago, LJS said:

I'm sure the decisions are more or less made since they have known about the problem since before the election. Its only when they annonce them that is in doubt.

I guess they could cancel some stuff...but tax and spend stuff needs OBR etc

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

She's going to say it's well and truly f**ked and it's all the fault of the last government and now she has to sort it out and you ain't going to like it.

But budget (fiscal statement) probably won't be till autumn.

Budget will be October but they will have to take action and make announcements long before that.