UK Politics

kalifire

Politicians get 100% of their fuel bills paid for by the tax payer. An MP's salary is now over £91,000 a year.

Just one example of other peolpe's lives, many more are available:

"

Laura Marcus, 68, lives with her husband John, 73, who has Parkinson's disease.

She could not sleep after hearing about the changes to fuel payments, which she described as "a terrible blow".

"I've been doing my budgeting from now until the end of the year, as [like] a lot of people on very low incomes, we have to juggle every single penny. I assumed this money would be coming in, it's like having it ripped out of your purse," she says.

The couple both worked for 50 years, but for much of that time they were self-employed, so now live on a relatively small pension, plus an attendance allowance because of John's condition.

They live in Leek in the Peak District, which Laura says can be particularly wet and cold, but cannot turn down the heating because of her husband's illness.

"I just don't know what to do. I've been cancelling everything I can think of, every subscription, charity, payment, but I can't make up the shortfall," she says. "The only thing I can cut now is food. We will have to have beans on toast two or three times a week instead of a proper meal."

Morgan Vine, head of policy at Independent Age, says the charity is particularly concerned about pensioners who will narrowly miss out on the payment.

“The chancellor’s announcement to end the winter fuel payment for those not receiving pension credit risks driving hundreds of thousands of older people into further financial hardship," she says.

"That’s hundreds of thousands more older people having to skip meals and not use their heating, living with extreme anxiety about how they will make ends meet.""

Is it not about time that MP's led by example and paid their own way and are not funded by the tax payer as 'we have no money'?

56 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you mean they can claim it on expenses for their accommodation in London if they're not London MPs?

MP's do not have to have a 2nd property. They can, like you and me and everyone else, commute to work on a daily basis.

As they choose to have the 2nd property then they then choose which on the taxpayer pays 100% of energy bills on.

No a single other occupation in the UK has such payments made to employees and as this is at the tax payers expense and MP's are high earner then perhaps they ought to lead by example and stop taking the payment - or perhaps just take between £100 and £300 which those getting EFA allowance are told to be grateful for.

As there is no money and savings have to be made are you saying you are happy for MP's not to give up a single penny whilst expecting others to suffer cuts?

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

MP's do not have to have a 2nd property. They can, like you and me and everyone else, commute to work on a daily basis.

As they choose to have the 2nd property then they then choose which on the taxpayer pays 100% of energy bills on.

No a single other occupation in the UK has such payments made to employees and as this is at the tax payers expense and MP's are high earner then perhaps they ought to lead by example and stop taking the payment - or perhaps just take between £100 and £300 which those getting EFA allowance are told to be grateful for.

As there is no money and savings have to be made are you saying you are happy for MP's not to give up a single penny whilst expecting others to suffer cuts?

so a MP in Glasgow can commute to westminster every day?

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so a MP in Glasgow can commute to westminster every day?

Yes, if they leave at 5am they can or parliament could go back to some attending remotely which worked perfectrly well.

Many people all over the UK commute long distances and if they choose to stay away during the week they foot the bill themselves.

Are you saying that MP's should not lead by example and have cuts to their own expenses? I have asked already but you seem to want to not answer that part.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Yes, if they leave at 5am they can or parliament could go back to some attending remotely which worked perfectrly well.

Many people all over the UK commute long distances and if they choose to stay away during the week they foot the bill themselves.

Are you saying that MP's should not lead by example and have cuts to their own expenses? I have asked already but you seem to want to not answer that part.

not answering because it is a stupid, childish question.

Oh dear.................... petentially

A Treasury minister is being investigated by Parliament's standards watchdog over a failure to register rental income on a London property.

Tulip Siddiq, Economic Secretary to the Treasury and Labour MP for Hampstead and Highgate, north London, is under investigation for the late registration of interests, according to the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner's website.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: "Tulip will cooperate fully with the Parliamentary Commissioner on Standards on this matter."

Ms Siddiq is the first MP of the new Parliament to be placed under investigation by the Standards Commissioner.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

not answering because it is a stupid, childish question.

Asking whether you think MP's should lead by example and take some of the cuts is 'stupid and childish'? Wow.

Says so much about a person willing to say that.

57 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Yes, if they leave at 5am they can 

You've said some dumb things here in your time but commuting daily from glasgow to london might be the worst yet.

No doubt some reply coming my way about how I am selectively quoting you

4 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Nah the state pension it totally unsustainable and will either not exist in 40 years or the retirement age will be about 80. I'm working on the assumption I will get 0. Nothing I can do will change that

Watch out or this will be become a self fulfilling prophesy. I'm guessing you are young enough to think that you'll happily work into your 70's and that redundancy and ill health  won't affect you. Even if it is means tested, the state pension will remain a core part of most peoples old age income.

35 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Watch out or this will be become a self fulfilling prophesy. I'm guessing you are young enough to think that you'll happily work into your 70's and that redundancy and ill health  won't affect you. Even if it is means tested, the state pension will remain a core part of most peoples old age income.

let's be honest, it's going to be dystopic mayhem in a decade or two. No one will be thinking pensions, it will all be about SURVIVAL!

Protesters at Downing Street hurling abuse and attacking a statue of Churchill.............................. protest organised by Laurence Fox and attended by folks who likely loved the statues during the pandemic.

I am sure Farage will be happy about it all.

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

what time do they need to leave if they live in the highlands, Scottish islands or Northern Ireland?

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

what time do they need to leave if they live in the highlands, Scottish islands or Northern Ireland?

and what time is last train, parliament often sits pretty late?

I guess they could claim those dead expensive train tickets on expenses.

There’s been a ‘protest’ at the Potter hotel between Aldershot, Farnborough and Fleet - @Neil will know it - with people vowing to “protect our kids from the immigrants”. Genuinely saw someone blaming the winter fuel allowance…

4 hours ago, lazyred said:

happily work into your 70's

not happily at all, but realistic that with an ageing population the retirement age will keep increasing

i have a good workplace pension and a private one too to try and control my own fate, however I can see with my own eyes that retiring at 60 like many boomers/ silent generation did is largely a thing of the past