UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, Spuddhism said:

Apparently up to 35 far right demonstrations are planned for tomorrow, across the UK. It's a shame there's nothing on TV to distract them from attending, like Teletubbies, or The Jim Davidson Show. 

Liverpool did a great job of outnumbering the c**ts … let’s hope that can be done elsewhere . Sunderland bringing in police reinforcements from elsewhere though so not boding well for more tomoro 😞 

If I remember correctly, the 2011 riots spread out from Tottenham during a heat wave, then quickly stopped when it started raining. We just need a break in the heatwave to quell the uprising. I know the rioting groups started from different positions, but I still think your average British rioter doesn’t like bad weather, hence why we have never had a proper rebellion.

1 hour ago, Cherry Tree said:

If I remember correctly, the 2011 riots spread out from Tottenham during a heat wave

historically, there's a strong correlation between riots and good weather.

lets hope they set light to fake tommy.

bristol police have gone"full police powers", to undo fifty years of community policing. didn't go so well when they tried it for the "kill the bill" protests.

we've had some rain in Manchester, so we're doing our bit.

I think there's a bunch of stuff going to happen today, and stand up to racism lot are organising counter protests. There is something in Manchester which I am thinking I could go along to, but it is in town so don't think that is targeting a mosque or somewhere holding asylum seekers so maybe just a protest as opposed to actual trouble, and it says meet at 9am which seems a bit early for a riot, and I'm a bit scared and don't want to get punched in the face by a big ugly skinhead. 

Stop the far right events in your area this weekend (standuptoracism.org.uk)

Seem to remember the Rodney King riots were during a heat wave too. The poll tax riots were March so it doesnt always work.

Edited by lost

13 minutes ago, lost said:

Seem to remember the Rodney King riots were during a heat wave too. The poll tax riots were March so it doesnt always work.

poll tax one started as an organised protest and then kicked off later, it wasn't like sporadic riots happening all over the shop like we're seeing now or that grew out of those Tottenham ones a few years ago. Not sure about the 81 riots, some of that was in the summer..but not sure about a heatwave.

Anyway, I'm sure a load of rain would help, but don't think it's just the weather! 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I'm a bit scared and don't want to get punched in the face by a big ugly skinhead. 

You'd be fine during the day. The police will do a good job of keeping the two groups apart. And it is a uplifting to march with other folks who share your anti racist stance, to do so peacefully, and to get to voice your opposition.

As the day draws into evening it'll have the potential to turn ugly, and that's the time to head off and leave it to the police to deal with the knuckle draggers.

The EDL are pretty good at throwing bricks at their own, so if they don't get prescribed (they will) hopefully political darwinism will play out eventually 🙂

Edit: corrected mispelling

Edited by Spuddhism
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spuddhism said:

You'd be fine during the day. The police will do a good job of keeping the two groups apart. And it is a uplifting to march with other folks who share your anti racist stance, to do so peacefully, and to get to voice your opposition.

As the day draws into evening it'll have the potential to turn ugly, and that's the time to head off and leave it to the police to deal with the knuckle draggers.

The EDL are pretty good at throwing bricks at their own, so if they don't get prescribed (they will) hopefully political darwinism will play out eventually 🙂

Edit: corrected mispelling

BTW, the EDL don't officially exist anymore, so apologies for my lazy shorthand. I still think there's some group out there organising all of this - I mean, potentially 35 different demonstrations on the same day? - but it isn't a group that can be termed the English Defence League, tho that's how I think of these meat heads. So I'm kinda wrong about the imminent prescription, tho I do feel in my gut that something is coming to stamp this sh*t out (well, publicly at least). 

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

IMG_20240803_120121.jpg

You made it ? From what I can see Manchester did an amazing job and the racists were well and truely outnumbered and gave up pretty quickly . Nice one if you attended . Fingers crossed similar happens elsewhere 

26 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

You made it ? From what I can see Manchester did an amazing job and the racists were well and truely outnumbered and gave up pretty quickly . Nice one if you attended . Fingers crossed similar happens elsewhere 

yeah, I was a bit late..too many other things to do like walk the dog and eat breakfast and have a coffee and watch some olympics, but yes cycled up town and that pic was the front of anti racist march that met with pro palestinian protesters so stayed with that lot and listened to speakers saying how bad the genocide was in Gaza over and over, then went and looked at the racists and there were loads of police and not that many protesters as far as I could see, hard to tell really cause saturday afternoon up town and loads of people around. Some black woman asked me what it was all about so I had to explain, kind of awkward. There was also a protest about dodgy Venezuela election results, which was nice. The overwhelming sense I got was most people weren't bothered and were just up town to go shopping, eat, drink or party. Went back to my anti racist comrades and listened to some more speeches about how bad the genocide in Gaza was, and then cycled home again. Passed a Sikh party where they were going for it, loads of orange everywhere. That's what I want, lots of that sort of stuff...not pissed up EDL with their union jacks and vapes.

• Like 3

this has been bubbling away for a while and has now finally boiled over, and all the racists out there with their "legitimate concerns" are having their moment...how long this moment last is down to the government, but also the wider society. If we keep stigmatising migrants and refugees and muslims and black or brown people this will keep happening.

Also...no one seems to want to mention that is nearly always male violence against women...and in this case a young man killing young girls at a very female event. And on the streets it's mostly men rioting. As always. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

The sad thing is I think of the candidates Cleverly is probably one of the decent ones and sad to see him take this line which he probably doesn’t believe, but sounds good to the members.

Bit weird to bring up him ‘taking the knee’ in a photo three or four years ago? I know their response would be Labour keep talking about things we did around the same time.

Someone on my Facebook shared a post about their biggest protest yet tomorrow outside the hotel mentioned earlier. Said they’ve been peacefully protesting for two years - the organisation is named ‘Rushmoor First’ - and now Keir Starmer has deliberately stoked them with his ‘appalling press conference’ and ‘Marxist agenda’.

Those mental gymnastics…

I finally caved in and joined X / Twitter about 2 months ago to follow the election and be able to open a link or two if someone sent me one. 

A tiny splash of nice warm social commenters, comedians and some journalists I like. Emily Eavis and a band or two were followed and about once per day I would check those I followed for updates.  Was okay and I felt quite grown up being on there! 

However I’ve just been absolutely sucked in by the evil violent videos being shared today of the racist thugs on the streets today. 

Yes I want to know what is going on in the news, but I find myself unable to stop the doom scroll for wanting to see more and more. 

X now well and firmly deleted to protect my delicate self. 

How do you all moderate yourselves or keep yourself calm when you have instant and constant contact with horrible situations? 

I’m feeling so affected by seeing it.