UK Politics

kalifire

12 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

How do you all moderate yourselves or keep yourself calm when you have instant and constant contact with horrible situations? 

I’m feeling so affected by seeing it. 

You need to block anyone posting stuff like this, I mainly follow Glastonbury people and find it still can be a nice place to be. You also need to always make that at the top of your Twitter feed that you have selected Followers so you only see Tweets from people who you follow, the Twitter default is For You and that's where you will find the nasty stuff appearing. i have attached a screenshot below in case you feel like giving it another go. I am sure we can all recommend some nice peeps for you to follow if you do! 😊

Screenshot_20240803-212255.png

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

I finally caved in and joined X / Twitter about 2 months ago to follow the election and be able to open a link or two if someone sent me one. 

A tiny splash of nice warm social commenters, comedians and some journalists I like. Emily Eavis and a band or two were followed and about once per day I would check those I followed for updates.  Was okay and I felt quite grown up being on there! 

However I’ve just been absolutely sucked in by the evil violent videos being shared today of the racist thugs on the streets today. 

Yes I want to know what is going on in the news, but I find myself unable to stop the doom scroll for wanting to see more and more. 

X now well and firmly deleted to protect my delicate self. 

How do you all moderate yourselves or keep yourself calm when you have instant and constant contact with horrible situations? 

Just follow people you like and respect and try and ignore the bad sh*t, not easy recently of course...and I have been going for it last few days arguing with all sorts of racists. Basically just been talking their language, calling them racist c**ts and then clicking ignore conversation when need it to stop.

There are a lot of good people on twitter though, a lot of people posting stuff that is sometimes heavy but often funny, people like Ian Dunt and Marie Le Conte.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Just follow people you like and respect and try and ignore the bad sh*t, not easy recently of course...and I have been going for it last few days arguing with all sorts of racists. Basically just been talking their language, calling them racist c**ts and then clicking ignore conversation when need it to stop.

There are a lot of good people on twitter though, a lot of people posting stuff that is sometimes heavy but often funny, people like Ian Dunt and Marie Le Conte.

I would also say important to follow people you respect and disagree with to challenge your own views and avoid echo chamber thinking. I have to say I don’t go further than moderate right wingers in that respect.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would also say important to follow people you respect and disagree with to challenge your own views and avoid echo chamber thinking. I have to say I don’t go further than moderate right wingers in that respect.

I mostly follow main stream journalists ..all very centre left or centrist. Most right wing is probably Katy Balls...

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Wow

Arresting people who injure police or purposely damage buildings and places of worship is not the answer??? Those who attend rallies who feel strongly but don’t cause disorder are not being arrested. I really don’t understand her point.

2 hours ago, ian the worm said:

I finally caved in and joined X / Twitter about 2 months ago to follow the election and be able to open a link or two if someone sent me one. 

A tiny splash of nice warm social commenters, comedians and some journalists I like. Emily Eavis and a band or two were followed and about once per day I would check those I followed for updates.  Was okay and I felt quite grown up being on there! 

However I’ve just been absolutely sucked in by the evil violent videos being shared today of the racist thugs on the streets today. 

Yes I want to know what is going on in the news, but I find myself unable to stop the doom scroll for wanting to see more and more. 

Firstly, you've probably done the right thing in deleting it.

I would say, it's got a lot lot harder in the last 2ish years since Musk took over to keep your timeline clean, and healthy. I mostly follow bands, cricket journalists, and political journalists/MPs/candidates, and that helps.

Focusing on your "following" page, or even a curated list helps a lot with keeping things separate. The "For You" bit parachutes a lot of the twitter algorithm stuff in, with priority given to "verified users".

I also minimise my posting and doom-scrolling, and very pointedly have proper breaks, never ever looking at it when I'm at a festival, on holiday, out with friends, etc. etc.

28 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Arresting people who injure police or purposely damage buildings and places of worship is not the answer??? Those who attend rallies who feel strongly but don’t cause disorder are not being arrested. I really don’t understand her point.

Her point is that she agrees with them. Unsurprisingly both a lot of individual police are racist, and the police force have issues with institutional racism.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The only thing I'd say about this, is that while I agree that echo chamber thinking is a bad thing, delving too far the other way is usually pretty harmful. I find it pretty unnerving to read Nazi rhetoric when I see it, and if it isn't majorly unnerving, it can radicalise people.

I'd particularly say that the pandemic, and people spending more time online, and less time with deeper, in-person social interaction, has led to a lot of radicalisation and toxicity.

Not sure what happened to the video that was posted about the bloke getting arrested. To me it looked like someone trying to make a video for political purposes, didn’t watch it all but couldn’t get the full context of what was going on from the camera.  

My point remains lots of right wing people who have not created disorder have not been arrested. I think it’s dangerous to try and legitimise right wing thuggery as some kind of double standard in policing.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Not sure what happened to the video that was posted about the bloke getting arrested. To me it looked like someone trying to make a video for political purposes, didn’t watch it all but couldn’t get the full context of what was going on from the camera.  

My point remains lots of right wing people who have not created disorder have not been arrested. I think it’s dangerous to try and legitimise right wing thuggery as some kind of double standard in policing.

It got hidden because it was a far-right YT channel promoting racist ideologies and fake Tommy. Links like that are not welcome on efestivals.

Edited by kaosmark2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

It got hidden because it was a far-right YT channel promoting racist ideologies and fake Tommy. Links like that are not welcome on efestivals.

My bad for clicking on it, shows how careful you have to be and how easy it is to let your guard down on somewhere like here.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

My bad for clicking on it, shows how careful you have to be and how easy it is to let your guard down on somewhere like here.

Yeah. I saw a couple of yellow flags in the post and opened the YT channel in private mode to check it out. In most places I happily avoid/ignore but with the way things are online nowadays it's almost always worth checking out the source before seeing the step that anyone links you.

9 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Some good advice in the replies above but also no harm just deleting Twitter and avoiding exposure to one of the worst platforms for toxicity. When using X, as well as avoiding the algorithmic nastiness of For You, it's also helpful to steer clear of the search option and clicking on trending hashtags.

I don't follow any of this advice, tho, and get sucked in to occasionally reading random posts and comments that are abhorrent. To cope with the nasty stuff I just limit how much I'll read, and remind myself that a) this is a minority of albeit very aggressive, noisy individuals, and b) the vast majority of people just want to get on, live their lives peacefully and allow others to do the same. They're just not on X posting that, so it can seem skewed to one mindset. 

• Like 1

Yep, as people have already pointed out, twitter is a cess pool of toxicity and hate. It has it's uses but as others have said, stay clear of the 'for you' tab and just have it set to 'following'.

7 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I find David Gauke and Gavin Barwell can both be interesting, but sure they are considered left wing by Tory members.

yes, "sensible" tories. I don't follow them but they often end up in my timelines, and often hear those two on various podcasts.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

They're going to need to build some more prisons now.

We have a floating barge that they all think was fit for housing asylum seekers.

Use that to house the rioters, surround it by mines and barbed wire. They will be fine.

• Like 4