UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

We have a floating barge that they all think was fit for housing asylum seekers.

Use that to house the rioters, surround it by mines and barbed wire. They will be fine.

Rename it the Bibby Karma

• Upvote 1

I'm just gonna say, that for all the little niggles that (understandably) happen in this thread because of the emotive nature of politics, I'm really glad that basically everyone's united in having a positive human reaction to each other after what happened yesterday. Seeing the rejection of the far right and stevie/nobody liking each others' posts criticising them is really positive. A reminder that for whatever disagreements we'll have, we'll make an effort towards rejecting that sort of hate.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'm just gonna say, that for all the little niggles that (understandably) happen in this thread because of the emotive nature of politics, I'm really glad that basically everyone's united in having a positive human reaction to each other after what happened yesterday. Seeing the rejection of the far right and stevie/nobody liking each others' posts criticising them is really positive. A reminder that for whatever disagreements we'll have, we'll make an effort towards rejecting that sort of hate.

🤮

I thought the response was good and also Sunak got it right as well, there must be an an element of freedom now being able to say what you believe and not think about Tory members or potential voters.

The key thing is not to make this political as these thugs are not doing this because of politics.

All good for Keir Starmer to condemn these far right thugs etc. but he needs to actually start defending asylum seekers and muslims and other minorities. The narrative needs to change. These people need to feel ashamed for thinking this sh*t, let alone shouting about it.

There was something slightly surreal about being away at a wedding in rural Wales all weekend where it was all smiles and fun and then I turn on my phone and the top stories on the news was just proper awful.

Not any better today either. f**k were those idiots in Rotherham doing?

On 8/3/2024 at 6:17 PM, pink_triangle said:

The sad thing is I think of the candidates Cleverly is probably one of the decent ones and sad to see him take this line which he probably doesn’t believe, but sounds good to the members.

that geezer is so wrongly named 😛  

Its sickening but I cant help but feel that there is an element of chickens coming home to roost. This is what happens when you capitulate to the other side’s rhetoric for so long. I daresay the approach on israel-palestine war has also exacerbated things, particularly the way politicians have been all too happy to dehumanise palestinians and by extension muslims.

Its also how Labour paints itself into a corner economically.

Now is the time, at the start of 5 years of govt, to start being honest, standing up and making the case for real left wing politics- ’winning the argument’ on migration, asylum seekers, redistributing wealth.

IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

I mean...yes politicians and media have some blame...but they focus group this sh*t and probably see people's concerns and so try and address those concerns...it's the lack of control people don't like, why Take Back Control was such a successful slogan for Leave with that slogan meaning borders for a lot of people. What hasn't helped has been the slow response to process asylum claims which has meant hotels filling up across the country at great cost and great annoyance to many, some of this may be due to austerity cuts and/or covid, but also possibly deliberate because of Rwanda scheme and to help Tories in an election because they wouldn't be soft like Labour. And so you see Labour trying to counter it by smashing the gangs and clearing the backlog.

With Israel/Gaza that could be feeding into it a bit, every weekend the pro Palestine marches, and some politicians labelling them hate marches etc.

So, actually it could be argued that people have legitimate concerns, but we just had an election, Reform were on the ballot, Tories were still pushing their Rwanda scheme, but Labour won. People can protest, that is fine...but they're not, they're going out targeting minorities or mosques or hotels used for asylum seekers or shops to get some gear...that isn't protest.

Also, no one talks about the crime that caused this, and that there was possibly a failure in social and mental health services, and also that Andrew Tate style misogyny might be a factor.

Edited by steviewevie

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest Activity

• “the last really big legendary American acts they haven’t had” and “the two biggest American gets the festival can feasibly achieve” are clearly two totally different things. Hence my questioning.   The Eagles would pull a massive crowd, that ain’t why they’re not playing.   The idea of The Weeknd not having the same level of stardom as Gaga is laughable, and I’m a massive Gaga fan.   And let’s not even start on where AC/DC come from…
    • Kendrick doing Superbowl halftime show next year, if he drops a new album next year do we think he could headline again ? 
    • The post said they haven’t spoken to Taylor since the cancellation… do t k ow how Emily would be confident they’ve got her on board if they haven’t spoken to her.
    • Come back into work which has been maniacally busy so the first chance I've gotten.   My 5th End of the Road - and by some distance the best. The music programming was absolutely stellar - I was exhausted, the most bands I've ever seen there. I've complained in recent times that the festival has felt a little worn down and shabby; not so this year. The energy was amazing, it felt like a rebirth of sorts. Maybe it's just cos so many acts cancelled each day at Primavera Porto that not even the cancellations fazed me, and I felt the festival navigated them superbly.   The Good:   I mean this could go on forever!   Vibes, audience, energy artists, all on point We arrive in campervan on Friday morning. Arrived, set up, cans, then MRCY and Sextile really got out energy up Hot Wax were good fun CMAT - wow! Was telling everyone we saw her open the Garden Stage a few years ago was super funny to hear her then recount events from that. Smashed it. Superstar Was gutted Mdou Moctar cancelled but it solved a 3 way clash, that meant I could enjoy Gurriers and Sprints. The future is Irish. Both killed it, Sprints particularly felt very special After a few hours of being shouted at, I had to miss Lankum. Not a huge fan of IDLES as Ive said (I'm so petty, but I'm like lolo you can't even bring yourself to say Free Palestine in English) but they smashed that. Very enjoyable, even as a neutral Heartworms were great but slightly ruined the amount of talkers who were squatting for Sextile and Sprints   Waking on Saturday morning and finding out the ??? was Julia Jacklin. We basically ran in our PJs. What a surprise, fantastic set.  Sanam were a bit of a mind melt but my wife loved it and got a t shirt We were confused walking into Palehound thinking we had the wrong stage but once accustomed it to being a one person show, they crushed it I was a bit disappointed by how little actual vocals Master Peace did, but we were down the front and having a blast and my mates told me to stop being a pedant and enjoy myself Jockstrap were a blast My mates weren't into Billy Woods but I loved it, so proper hip hop Slowdive were absolutely majestic   Saturday took its toll (in bad) so Sunday began with Florence Adoomi. I actually went on holiday to Ghana last October and a driver we had for the day basically spent the whole trip giving a me a lecture on the history of High Life & Hip Life so this was a proper blast  I planned to leave Slift halfway through to go to NoL. 5 minutes in I was going nowhere. Honestly, I'm still stuck in the wormhole they put us in. What an experience. Luckily EOTR being what it is, we basically got to the front for NoL's second half without even having to push. Saw them at Porto last year and have loved them since, but they're really elevating the stage show now, the lighting looked like a movie Water From Your Eyes - saw them at Porto where I went for a bit and stayed the whole time cos it was mesmeric. This wasn;t quite as good but it's still an exhilarating experience  Lambrini Girls is a subtley free zone and I'm here for it   Otherwise, loved pints "only" being £6.5, good food, and getting to share this wonderful festival with my wife for the first time was amazing   Bad: caveat - I had the best time, this is just nitpicking   Food was a bit pricey imo. Jerk Hut was so so so good but I felt a bit jipped by the volume Main stage sound remains crystal clear but just a little too low Had a couple of weird experiences where slightly older men would be talking loudly over the music then be disrespectful to the artist if people told them to be quite. Stuff like "who cares, they're sh*t" etc. Only happened a couple of times, and always 50+ men, but weird none the less People making big piles of bags in the Big Top then getting agg if people walked near. My brother in christ, it is pitch black in here, have some common sense People making a giant queue for the craft bar instead of standing at it like a bar Them not putting having a GF lager on the main bar as they seemed to advertise before the fest meaning my missus had to drink cider The music being so good I didn't have enough time to arse around in the woods Was unable to get into neither Casisdead nor English Teacher Accepting I was exhausted 30 minutes in Jon Talabot, which I was so gassed for, and going to bed to save my Sunday. Arriving on Friday so I had internet access and was sadly the person to break the news to a guy at the water point in the campervan field that Mdou Moctar had cancelled   Ugly:   I'll leave this up for a bit then take it down but a friend of a friend tagging along with us and then pulling a whitey and collapsing right down the front for Floating Points. Thankfully he was fine, a doctor in the crowd started attending him but he woke up immediately like "why are there fingers in my mouth!!!!" but we had to miss Floating Points which was just getting good and he hadn't told us he was doing anything, so when he collapsed at my feet I legit thought he was dead which was a pretty crumby ending all told  
    • Will Rachel Reeves still be chancellor by next election? BET NOW!
  • Featured Products

• Hot Topics

• Latest Tourdates