UK Politics

kalifire

29 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Its sickening but I cant help but feel that there is an element of chickens coming home to roost. This is what happens when you capitulate to the other side’s rhetoric for so long. I daresay the approach on israel-palestine war has also exacerbated things, particularly the way politicians have been all too happy to dehumanise palestinians and by extension muslims.

Its also how Labour paints itself into a corner economically.

Now is the time, at the start of 5 years of govt, to start being honest, standing up and making the case for real left wing politics- ’winning the argument’ on migration, asylum seekers, redistributing wealth.

IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

People on here know how much I hate something being quoted that is not the whole  of what was said or written to manipulate the discussion and change the context of what was actually said.

This is exactly what these quotes do, for example the Ashworth quote cleverly misses off ""That’s the Tory policy."" from the end and then ignores the rest of what was said, all to just try and show something different and stoke division.

49 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Its sickening but I cant help but feel that there is an element of chickens coming home to roost. This is what happens when you capitulate to the other side’s rhetoric for so long. I daresay the approach on israel-palestine war has also exacerbated things, particularly the way politicians have been all too happy to dehumanise palestinians and by extension muslims.

Its also how Labour paints itself into a corner economically.

Now is the time, at the start of 5 years of govt, to start being honest, standing up and making the case for real left wing politics- ’winning the argument’ on migration, asylum seekers, redistributing wealth.

IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

and here is some of the context and other words used in the other statement that could easily change how the quote is being used. I have no idea what places you get your quotes and info from but they certainly are places that exclude context to suit their own purposes so perhaps an idea might be to check out what was really said before using on a public forum. I got the details by looking at Hansard.

"I therefore welcome today’s announcement that the border security, asylum and immigration Bill includes plans to end asylum hotel use."

On 8/2/2024 at 1:21 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

I hope not the Glastonbury accounts on there are great , how on earth they manage to clean it up again who knows ? musk is surely out to break it completely .... Id suggest Tim Davie might be doing the same with the BBC also 

This is out of sync as a reply given this came on Friday while I was away but I dunno. I genuinely am struggling to justify still having it given how sh*t of a job Musk is doing at running it and it just seems amok with the worst types of people or bots.

Presumably Glastonbury accounts will find somewhere else to flourish. Facebook and Reddit have similar community spaces, even if there's an irony that all of these places have that weird kind of parallel stuff given a lot of what's driven these riots is stuff I wouldn't have seen due to how my bubbles are oriented.

... admittedly my Facebook wall is mainly full of Simpsons memes so it would be a bit hidden behind those anyway.

Adding to the Twitter/X chat... For a long time it feels that my feed has been full of violence. Not necessarily anything political, but just people getting 'karma', 'what they deserve' or 'f**king around and finding out' - One clip I could ignore, but it seems to be numerous clips per day of people just fighting, even though I don't follow any of these kinds of accounts. It feels like it's designed to make people angry and combative, to fear going out on the streets etc. Anyone else?

3 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

People on here know how much I hate something being quoted that is not the whole  of what was said or written to manipulate the discussion and change the context of what was actually said.

This is exactly what these quotes do, for example the Ashworth quote cleverly misses off ""That’s the Tory policy."" from the end and then ignores the rest of what was said, all to just try and show something different and stoke division.

3 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and here is some of the context and other words used in the other statement that could easily change how the quote is being used. I have no idea what places you get your quotes and info from but they certainly are places that exclude context to suit their own purposes so perhaps an idea might be to check out what was really said before using on a public forum. I got the details by looking at Hansard.

"I therefore welcome today’s announcement that the border security, asylum and immigration Bill includes plans to end asylum hotel use."

Neither of these things qualify the rest of the quotes though do they? Both still clearly stink of anti migrant rhetoric.

Labour has sold migrants and particularly muslims down the river since 1997. It is institutionally islamophobic and must bear responsibility for its part in this. What ever happened to solidarity?

25 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

image.thumb.png.3005fb38c05b4c0de747e1a20843517c.png

Is it just me, or does the headline in today's Torygraph imply an equivalency between the behaviour of Far-Right and Muslims? 

Yes. And a LOT of places will be framing things in similarly disgusting ways.

13 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Neither of these things qualify the rest of the quotes though do they? Both still clearly stink of anti migrant rhetoric.

Labour has sold migrants and particularly muslims down the river since 1997. It is institutionally islamophobic and must bear responsibility for its part in this. What ever happened to solidarity?

That's not the only islamophobic and racist comment of Ashworth's this year either. He didn't just lose his seat because of Gaza, he lost it because his constituents know he will treat people differently based on the colour of their skin.

51 minutes ago, charlierc said:

This is out of sync as a reply given this came on Friday while I was away but I dunno. I genuinely am struggling to justify still having it given how sh*t of a job Musk is doing at running it and it just seems amok with the worst types of people or bots.

Presumably Glastonbury accounts will find somewhere else to flourish. Facebook and Reddit have similar community spaces, even if there's an irony that all of these places have that weird kind of parallel stuff given a lot of what's driven these riots is stuff I wouldn't have seen due to how my bubbles are oriented.

... admittedly my Facebook wall is mainly full of Simpsons memes so it would be a bit hidden behind those anyway.

Tommy Robinson is still posting away from his holiday home after being allowed back on X by Musk, and infact Musk replies and agrees with his posts...so what does UK govt do if Musk refuses to ban Robinson again?

29 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I blame Corbyn.

21 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Nonsense.

The hotels are full of migrants because the Tories blocked legal refugee routes, denied them the right to seek asylum and then found they couldn't remove them. Labour is allowing asylum claims and most of them will be accepted as genuine refugees, the rest will deported back to their safe original country. Hopefully they will be able to negotiate a deal to join the EU scheme and take a share of refugees which will reduce the dangerous sea crossings.

The numbers involved in the current trouble are tiny, a few hundred in each town some of whom are from outside the area. The counter demonstrations have been larger.

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Tommy Robinson is still posting away from his holiday home after being allowed back on X by Musk, and infact Musk replies and agrees with his posts...so what does UK govt do if Musk refuses to ban Robinson again?

Well I think the UK government is going to have summon Musk to explain himself.

If indeed that whiny douchebag doesn't consider himself above the law and refuse to attend.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I’ve tried various platforms and just can’t get the hang of them . Twitter I like in terms of usability because of the way you can comment and converse along with pictures . I don’t think anything really replicates that . Insta is just pictures only and I can’t get a grip  on that … and reditt from what I’ve seen is more text based . Also I’ve spent 10 years or so becoming friendly with many people on there so really don’t want to ditch it . But it is a cess pit and sometimes it’s hard to avoid rabbit holes of hell 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’ve tried various platforms and just can’t get the hang of them . Twitter I like in terms of usability because of the way you can comment and converse along with pictures . I don’t think anything really replicates that . Insta is just pictures only and I can’t get a grip  on that … and reditt from what I’ve seen is more text based . Also I’ve spent 10 years or so becoming friendly with many people on there so really don’t want to ditch it . But it is a cess pit and sometimes it’s hard to avoid rabbit holes of hell 

Of the twitter clones, I've found Bluesky the best in terms of both format and vibe, but the scale of migration has been fairly minimal.

45 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Nonsense.

The hotels are full of migrants because the Tories blocked legal refugee routes, denied them the right to seek asylum and then found they couldn't remove them. Labour is allowing asylum claims and most of them will be accepted as genuine refugees, the rest will deported back to their safe original country. Hopefully they will be able to negotiate a deal to join the EU scheme and take a share of refugees which will reduce the dangerous sea crossings.

The numbers involved in the current trouble are tiny, a few hundred in each town some of whom are from outside the area. The counter demonstrations have been larger.

Right, any right minded person agrees that its preferable that asylum seekers arent housed in hotels for ages, and that their cases were handled more swiftly for their own sakes.

Thats quite different to saying ’we want our hotels back’ isnt it?

7 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Right, any right minded person agrees that its preferable that asylum seekers arent housed in hotels for ages, and that their cases were handled more swiftly for their own sakes.

Thats quite different to saying ’we want our hotels back’ isnt it?

I'd also say, that while Labour are largely doing the right things policy wise, a lot of their rhetoric is problematic and inflammatory, and it's possible to acknowledge that what they're putting through parliament is good, while criticising their media performances.