UK Politics

kalifire

I don't know about this MP who was talking about taking back this hotel in Tamworth. She probably regrets saying that now, but she will be just voicing the concerns of her constituents, and I expect many other MPs are hearing similar concerns.

I think it is perfectly legitimate to have concerns about hotels nearby being used to house asylum seekers, as it is legitimate to have concerns about uncontrolled migration, or high levels of legal migration. All these things should be discussed and debated.

What is not legitimate is racism. What is not legitimate is all the rioting and violence aimed at asylum seekers or muslims or other minorities, and that should be out rightly condemned by anyone in power or with any responsibility. Anyone promoting it should face the law.

I think the government has mostly called this correctly so far. I wish they would go harder on calling out the racism and islamophobia.

The responses of next Tory candidates have been mixed. I actually think Priti Patel has been pretty good on it, at least criticising her mate Farage.

Stephen Flynn has been very good, as has Hamza Yousaf.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Taking just 5 words out the middle of one sentence and that one out the middle of a long statement is to deliberatly select words to manipulate the whole of what was actually said.
Did you actually take the time to listen to all of what was said?

As for Ashworth, he said what was in the quote followed by "That's the Tory policy"

Those last words were removed and the rest used to say that it was what the Labour policy was and means they atre anti Muslim and immigration.

You really cannot change a context more than removing 'That's the Tory policy' and then saying it is the Labour policy.

Unless you are going to use ALL of what was said rather than just little parts or remove the very words that give the context then there is little poi t in discussing as you obviously have your agenda in choosing to manipulate in this way.

I'm not going to comment on detail on the new minor MP but it's fair to emphasise the selective context of that clip. 

However I've watched plenty of 5-20 minute videos and interviews where Ashworth has derided the Bangladeshi communities in his constituency to feel comfortable calling him a racist c**t and to be glad his constituency voted him out. As I said above, he wasn't removed just because of Gaza as a "single issue reaction" as he likes to call it. He has repeatedly made derogatory comments about Muslims and subcontinental immigrant families without shame. He should have been kicked out of the Labour party and I was as happy about him losing his seat as I was about Rees-Mogg.

another demo happening  in Bristol on Wednesday night - they plan to march down Stapleton road, which is like the orange order marching down the falls road, could get very messy.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

another demo happening  in Bristol on Wednesday night - they plan to march down Stapleton road, which is like the orange order marching down the falls road, could get very messy.

one in Aldershot as well - with a counter protest planned. I saw a Facebook post telling people to avoid town from 5pm. Am wondering if there’s as much misinformation coming from the ‘Left’…

54 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

one in Aldershot as well - with a counter protest planned. I saw a Facebook post telling people to avoid town from 5pm. Am wondering if there’s as much misinformation coming from the ‘Left’…

doubt it, the right wing protests are being announced in the normal places.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Elon Musk's daughter

good to see someone calling him out, otherwise his fans are like the trumpers

5 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'm not going to comment on detail on the new minor MP but it's fair to emphasise the selective context of that clip. 

However I've watched plenty of 5-20 minute videos and interviews where Ashworth has derided the Bangladeshi communities in his constituency to feel comfortable calling him a racist c**t and to be glad his constituency voted him out. As I said above, he wasn't removed just because of Gaza as a "single issue reaction" as he likes to call it. He has repeatedly made derogatory comments about Muslims and subcontinental immigrant families without shame. He should have been kicked out of the Labour party and I was as happy about him losing his seat as I was about Rees-Mogg.

My comments were about, and only about, the post that was shared. A post that removed 4 words at the end and then used the rest to say this was Labour's policy. It was not and the 4 words gave the full context.

That was all it was about, not what I think of the man - regardless of what I think of anyone when I see something that is simply untrue because words have been left out or just part of and sentence used to make it mean something else I point it out. I do it with all parties and will not ignore it just cos I support a party.

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

There is misinformation coming from all sides - it is very important to point it out.

If misinformation is accepted from one side cos you are on that side then you are helping to kill the truth and bury it.

If it is untrue it needs to be pointed out else one day nobody will know what the truth is.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

There is misinformation coming from all sides

What misinformation has come from the anti racist side? Not trying to challenge your comment, I just haven't seen any so I'm either being duped or I'm just blind to it. 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Is Starmer or musk gonna win ? Seems like a battle now 

I think Starmer has more sense than Streeting and isn't going to waste his time trying to appease a right-wing billionaire being noisy on twitter.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think Starmer has more sense than Streeting and isn't going to waste his time trying to appease a right-wing billionaire being noisy on twitter.

Yeah fair point Starmer isn’t actually replying to him directly but he is clearly calling him out on stuff . Can’t remember what streeting said though 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think could see something co-ordinated with other european countries...but what?

A ban just upsets the freedom of speech brigade . But this sh*t is nasty and lives potentially at risk from his and other misinformation on his platform . I’ve not managed to get any accounts banned for months on there despite clear hate content and breech of rules . I wonder if they actually have mods now ? Or if they employ some other moderation standards that differ in some way to published ones 

13 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Yeah fair point Starmer isn’t actually replying to him directly but he is clearly calling him out on stuff . Can’t remember what streeting said though 

With Streeting I'm referring to different billionaires, but he's such a slimy bootlicker.