UK Politics

kalifire

Just got this recommendation in my YouTube feed, and haven't previously watched anything weapons or 'self-defence' related.

Hmmm. YouTube algorithm about to follow the X playbook and serve more hate related content to generate ad dollars? 🤔

SmartSelect_20240806_215624_YouTube.thumb.jpg.a47cc763afc56bffb0a1d2de17d3e455.jpg

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The funny thing is these people who idolise Farage would quickly be disappointed if he was to become PM. Easy promising everything when you know you will never have to deliver.

they'd enjoy other MP's blocking his plans

16 hours ago, Spuddhism said:

What misinformation has come from the anti racist side? Not trying to challenge your comment, I just haven't seen any so I'm either being duped or I'm just blind to it. 

Accusations of the rioters doing certain things which the police say were not true, saying all anti racism protests were peaceful, sadly some were not and in some cases it was not provoced. There was an extended section on Channel 4 news a coup,e of days ago about it.

Jeez. Tate is obviously a great source of accurate info!!!! Please read with all due sarcasm.

Andrew Tate was source of my questions over Southport suspect, Farage says

Nigel Farage has said he was referring to claims made by Andrew Tate and "other folk with big followings" when he questioned whether the Southport attack suspect was known to security services last week.

The Reform UK leader was accused of fuelling riots by spreading misinformation after he said there had been "reports" the suspect was being monitored in a video posted online.

He also questioned whether the "truth" was being withheld by police, who referred to the attack as a non-terror incident.

Grilled on his comments by LBC yesterday, the Reform UK leader pointed the finger at the police who he said could have done better to "dampen down speculation".

He said his comments about the security services had been referring to posts by "prominent folks with a big following", such as controversial influencer Tate.

He said: "There were some stories online from prominent folks with a big following, Andrew Tate etc, suggesting that the man had crossed the English Channel in a boat in October 2023."

Mr Farage was asked whether he had fallen for false claims online, adding: "I didn't believe any of it, I hadn't got a clue."

Declining to retract his video from last week, he said: "I don't believe we're being told the full truth yet about this person. I want to know."

25 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Accusations of the rioters doing certain things which the police say were not true, saying all anti racism protests were peaceful, sadly some were not and in some cases it was not provoced. There was an extended section on Channel 4 news a coup,e of days ago about it.

yeah, counter protesters have to be very careful, especially muslims, because if they're seen attacking anyone or reacting with violence when they outnumber the far right side that just plays into the whole two tier shite and things just escalate. But it's very difficult, right? People want to protect communities, protect mosques, protect hotels holding already vulnerable people. 

Edited by steviewevie

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, counter protesters have to be very careful, especially muslims, because if they're seen attacking anyone or reacting with violence when they outnumber the far right side that just plays into the whole two tier shite and things just escalate. But it's very difficult, right? People want to protect communities, protect mosques, protect hotels holding already vulnerable people. 

In any conflict the truth is always an early casualty.

What we are witnessing now is no different and will likely get worse as it carries on.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's difficult, for sure. If reports are correct, the anti racist crowd in Birmingham the other night went out because of reports of a planned far right gathering. They didn't simply go out to stove in the heads of any white person they could find. But the smart and right thing to do, politically and behaviourally, would be to take the high ground and counter protest peacefully, for sure. 

Edit: corrected spelling

Edited by Spuddhism

14 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

In any conflict the truth is always an early casualty.

You're quite right. I remember protesting the BNP in London in the 90s and the reports of numbers attending - put out by the organisers - appeared inflated, and the reports of our collective behaviour - put out by the police and media - were also untrue.

I recall there were definitely a small number of trouble makers in our ranks at the time, the anarchist brigade, but the overwhelming vibe was positive and non violent protest. 

Why is Elon Musk piling in with his opinion on what is happening here in the UK and attacking Starmer's leadership? I believe it is part of his pro-Trump agenda. He is using Twitter to aid Trump's campaign, I believe for his own financial gain as a Trumnp presidency would benefit him personally. By amplifying the chaos that starts immediately as a left-wing government takes power in a similar country, he is stoking the idea that similar unrest and 'inevitable civil war' would result if Harris wins in November. Of course most of his US followers do not realise just how unlikely civil war is over here, and to them it may seem like a genuine risk. He should be ignored.

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Why is Elon Musk piling in with his opinion on what is happening here in the UK and attacking Starmer's leadership? I believe it is part of his pro-Trump agenda. He is using Twitter to aid Trump's campaign, I believe for his own financial gain as a Trumnp presidency would benefit him personally. By amplifying the chaos that starts immediately as a left-wing government takes power in a similar country, he is stoking the idea that similar unrest and 'inevitable civil war' would result if Harris wins in November. Of course most of his US followers do not realise just how unlikely civil war is over here, and to them it may seem like a genuine risk. He should be ignored.

He has been literally advocating for white supremacy and fascism for several years. As you say, he should be ignored.

I wonder how everyone else feels about this idea: I think the counter-protests we've seen should be avoided.

It greatly increases the chance of violence and puts extra strain on the police forces trying to deal with it. 

It is wholly reactionary, totally allowing the right-wing racist "protesters" to control the conversation, and can be interpreted as vindicating their stance by showing how seriously they are taken.

Wouldn't it be better to ignore them and allow their 'protests' to run their course in a vacuum, with only the police present?

The opposition demonstrations can occur at another time, allowing for better planning and safety.

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The funny thing is these people who idolise Farage would quickly be disappointed if he was to become PM. Easy promising everything when you know you will never have to deliver.

I wonder how the residents of Clacton are feeling about it. So far he seems to be very much an absentee MP. Is he holding weekly surgeries?

10 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

He has been literally advocating for white supremacy and fascism for several years. As you say, he should be ignored.

quite hard to ignore when he is in charge of one of the most powerful and influential social media sites in the world.

7 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I wonder how everyone else feels about this idea: I think the counter-protests we've seen should be avoided.

It greatly increases the chance of violence and puts extra strain on the police forces trying to deal with it. 

It is wholly reactionary, totally allowing the right-wing racist "protesters" to control the conversation, and can be interpreted as vindicating their stance by showing how seriously they are taken.

Wouldn't it be better to ignore them and allow their 'protests' to run their course in a vacuum, with only the police present?

The opposition demonstrations can occur at another time, allowing for better planning and safety.

Given that counter protests have literally protected asylum seekers from racist violence, no.

Personally, I don't trust the police to do their job properly, everywhere at once, and counter protests, regardless of if it amplifies the violence, are protecting hotels, mosques, and most importantly people, from this violence.

13 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Don't know, hard to know what is best. Show that these thugs do not represent us, and also what if not enough police there or they have to deal with something else. But, yes, I do see your point...leave it alone to avoid escalation and give the police even more to deal with.

Also...who'd be police during all this? must be bloody awful. Think they've shown great restraint considering.

Edited by steviewevie