UK Politics

kalifire

5 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The same MP's that will come back for 10 days then break again for conference season...... poor loves.

Imagine if teachers had as long on holiday as MP's 😉

"Recess provides an opportunity for MPs to pay extra attention to their constituency and spend more time speaking to those they represent. They will run advice surgeries for constituents to help to solve their problems and attend local events." 

(obviously doesn't apply in Clacton) 

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/parliament-when-resume-how-long-summer-recess-2023-last-next-pmqs-2582528

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

"Recess provides an opportunity for MPs to pay extra attention to their constituency and spend more time speaking to those they represent. They will run advice surgeries for constituents to help to solve their problems and attend local events." 

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/parliament-when-resume-how-long-summer-recess-2023-last-next-pmqs-2582528

Doesn't apply in most places sadly. I know what they are supposed to do but few ever bother and take recesses as a good time for a break whilst leaving their office staff to deal with matters.

11 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Conference season is work, even if it's not parliamentary work.

That's what they want us to think.

Have you ever seen behind the scenes at conferences?

Tis a sight to behold. Booze galore, pamper parlours, wine tasting, discos and so much more fun and frolics all hidden under the guise of 'networking'.

43 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Doesn't apply in most places sadly. I know what they are supposed to do but few ever bother and take recesses as a good time for a break whilst leaving their office staff to deal with matters.

I mean...is that actually true? My MP is certainly working.

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

In fairness many have school age kids so I am not going to begrudge them taking a holiday.

3 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

That's what they want us to think.

Have you ever seen behind the scenes at conferences?

Tis a sight to behold. Booze galore, pamper parlours, wine tasting, discos and so much more fun and frolics all hidden under the guise of 'networking'.

I said that I'd be happy to see alcohol and cocaine cut from their expenses.

21 hours ago, clarkete said:

didn't a recent-ish govt stop teachers going to the union conference?

I guess the point is if Labour are going to give unions what they are asking for in terms of pay rises then if they keep coming back for more it all starts to look a bit late 70s...especially with rail renationalisation now being a thing...and also in that there will probably have to be both spending cuts and tax rises in the autumn.

I'm all for public sector pay rises and working with unions etc etc...but if there are still visible strikes despite what cash is available being thrown at this stuff then Tories are bound to make hay with it.

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess the point is if Labour are going to give unions what they are asking for in terms of pay rises then if they keep coming back for more it all starts to look a bit late 70s...especially with rail renationalisation now being a thing...and also in that there will probably have to be both spending cuts and tax rises in the autumn.

I'm all for public sector pay rises and working with unions etc etc...but if there are still visible strikes despite what cash is available being thrown at this stuff then Tories are bound to make hay with it.

Risky before the budget too when taxes are apparently going up to fill the "Tory black hole" They can now simply say its to pay for this stuff and there never was a black hole.

Unions always screw labour with wage rises for nationalised industries.one of the reasons why nationalisation doesn't deliver the hoped for benefits.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Any links to these stories or rumours?

Both were very widely covered at the time, tbh just searching for cleverly and scandal finds plenty about him... 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/james-cleverly-north-east-constituency-stockton-north-b1122296.html

https://time.com/6550867/home-secretary-james-cleverly-date-rape-joke-apology/

Edited by clarkete