UK Politics

kalifire

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I guess the point is if Labour are going to give unions what they are asking for in terms of pay rises then if they keep coming back for more it all starts to look a bit late 70s...especially with rail renationalisation now being a thing...and also in that there will probably have to be both spending cuts and tax rises in the autumn.

I'm all for public sector pay rises and working with unions etc etc...but if there are still visible strikes despite what cash is available being thrown at this stuff then Tories are bound to make hay with it.

"This dispute is unrelated to the long ongoing pay disagreement, which is expected to be settled following a new offer from the government this week.

LNER runs the passenger service on the East Coast main line between London and Edinburgh.

Aslef has said there has been a breakdown in industrial relations, “bullying” by management, and “persistent breaking” of agreements by the company."

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-08-16/train-drivers-at-lner-to-stage-series-of-strikes-union-announces

21st century strikes are nowt like 1970s as most folks from then should attest. 

"The election of Margaret Thatcher as Conservative prime minister in May 1979, signalled the start of a period of major restrictions on trade union power. Five employment acts and one Trade Union Act were introduced between the start of Thatcher’s two terms and the end of John Major’s Conservative government in 1997. These laws restricted the right of picketing, prevented unions bringing their members out in support of other unions and introduced fines and asset seizures for unions that struck without a ballot"

https://theconversation.com/uk-strikes-six-milestones-in-the-history-of-industrial-action-in-britain-186364

Not that I can pretend I know that much about labour, but pretty sure that they also during those years got rid of the block vote and funding from unions is much less significant source than it was - in short, let's not get too carried away with an incompetent ex minister writing hit pieces in a paper with a poor reputation for accuracy.

Pip pip 😊

18 minutes ago, clarkete said:

"This dispute is unrelated to the long ongoing pay disagreement, which is expected to be settled following a new offer from the government this week.

LNER runs the passenger service on the East Coast main line between London and Edinburgh.

Aslef has said there has been a breakdown in industrial relations, “bullying” by management, and “persistent breaking” of agreements by the company."

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-08-16/train-drivers-at-lner-to-stage-series-of-strikes-union-announces

21st century strikes are nowt like 1970s as most folks from then should attest. 

"The election of Margaret Thatcher as Conservative prime minister in May 1979, signalled the start of a period of major restrictions on trade union power. Five employment acts and one Trade Union Act were introduced between the start of Thatcher’s two terms and the end of John Major’s Conservative government in 1997. These laws restricted the right of picketing, prevented unions bringing their members out in support of other unions and introduced fines and asset seizures for unions that struck without a ballot"

https://theconversation.com/uk-strikes-six-milestones-in-the-history-of-industrial-action-in-britain-186364

Not that I can pretend I know that much about labour, but pretty sure that they also during those years got rid of the block vote and funding from unions is much less significant source than it was - in short, let's not get too carried away with an incompetent ex minister writing hit pieces in a paper with a poor reputation for accuracy.

Pip pip 😊

Whether it's hit piece or not, it won't be a good look following an autumn budget when there are cuts and tax rises and a lot of money has been thrown at public sector pay yet trains on services from London to NE aren't running every weekend cause of more strikes.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Whether it's hit piece or not, it won't be a good look following an autumn budget when there are cuts and tax rises and a lot of money has been thrown at public sector pay yet trains on services from London to NE aren't running every weekend cause of more strikes.

He's just posturing for leadership isn't he? 

Tbh I think more people are worried about other things than lner atm and the budget and deficit will presumably affect folks far more directly?

Apparently Elon Musk has decided to delete Twitter/X in Brazil to avoid complying with an order to ban accounts linked to fake news during Jair Bolsonaro's time as President.

So we can see how far he'll escalate a whinge when it suits him. Wonder if that's a precedent for him threatening to delete the app in the UK if we try to hold him accountable for his idiotic ramblings during the riots the other week.

46 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Apparently Elon Musk has decided to delete Twitter/X in Brazil to avoid complying with an order to ban accounts linked to fake news during Jair Bolsonaro's time as President.

So we can see how far he'll escalate a whinge when it suits him. Wonder if that's a precedent for him threatening to delete the app in the UK if we try to hold him accountable for his idiotic ramblings during the riots the other week.

Amongst the coverage of the idiot from Lincoln this week this stood out to me. 

"The court was told he admitted receiving about £1,400 a month in payments for his account." 

I can't help but wonder how much those with huge coverage make, which of course would mean a big cut in revenue for the platform too. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5y3gre3y9yo#:~:text=Hold the line.",in payments for his account.

Its one of things he introduced with the blue tick, It lets you share advertising revenue. Apparently Mr Beast made $260k from a single tweet.

On 8/16/2024 at 10:12 PM, clarkete said:

Tbh I think more people are worried about other things than lner atm and the budget and deficit will presumably affect folks far more directly?

I mean, if you're trying to catch a train on that line at any point in this multitude of strike weekends, you would be pretty affected and annoyed.

20 minutes ago, lost said:

Its one of things he introduced with the blue tick, It lets you share advertising revenue. Apparently Mr Beast made $260k from a single tweet.

Well, blows my lifetime Twitter advertising revenue of £0 out of the water.

Even if I'm still not 100% sure who Mr Beast is. Or why he has a chocolate range I saw in Asda last summer.

I deleted my X, Instagram, and Facebook accounts this weekend. Going to see how I find life without them. Feels good so far. eFestivals and Reddit are the only platforms I'll be using for now (Reddit can be a cesspool, of course, but at least you have to seek out the bile rather than the algos pushing it on you).

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

Well, blows my lifetime Twitter advertising revenue of £0 out of the water.

Even if I'm still not 100% sure who Mr Beast is. Or why he has a chocolate range I saw in Asda last summer.

I knew nowt but I think "scandal hit"  would sum him up

25 minutes ago, Spuddhism said:

I deleted my X, Instagram, and Facebook accounts this weekend. Going to see how I find life without them. Feels good so far. eFestivals and Reddit are the only platforms I'll be using for now (Reddit can be a cesspool, of course, but at least you have to seek out the bile rather than the algos pushing it on you).

woah.

48 minutes ago, Spuddhism said:

I found that with FB if you lock everything down to total privacy and then only join groups and like pages if you REALLY want info from them, such as for music festivals, then it can be 'not too bad'.

As soon as you start to like stuff here and there and follow things you then start to get shown stuff you would never normally see or look for. So proactive viewing without using seems an OK method.

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I found that with FB if you lock everything down to total privacy and then only join groups and like pages if you REALLY want info from them, such as for music festivals, then it can be 'not too bad'.

As soon as you start to like stuff here and there and follow things you then start to get shown stuff you would never normally see or look for. So proactive viewing without using seems an OK method.

All sound advice. I've decided to go full cold turkey with it all, tho', to see what impact it has on my mood and focus. If it proves impractical I'll revisit your advice, so sincerely cheers for the feedback 👍