UK Politics

kalifire

5 minutes ago, Henrik said:

C'mon, that's a bit rich coming from someone who doesn't pay income tax haha

Can't they just legalise weed or something

you think I don't pay income tax?

Maybe that is it. Reeves will legalise weed to pay for our massive health and welfare spending requirements as well as everything else?

Just now, Henrik said:

No idea. That's why I asked. 

They are not raising income tax anyway. Not a chance. 

well, yes I pay income tax...quite a lot actually...and I don't want to pay more, but I think they should put it up anyway.

Reality is, like lots of places, we have a aging population which requires more spending on welfare and health care, and are spending way more than we get from tax and have almost reached a limit of how much we can keep borrowing to fill this difference. So, we can spend less which doesn't seem very popular, or we can get more from tax and borrowing...which is where the whole growth thing comes in. If that doesn't work then you have to put up taxes, they can go for wealth which would be popular because rich people are c**ts etc., but wealth taxes have not proved to be very successful when tried elsewhere. Maybe they will stick up CGT and inheritance tax, but not going to be enough. What's left is income tax, NI or VAT. Income tax is my preferred choice because more people pay it, pensioners etc., and more progressive than VAT.

If the economy starts growing strongly then we're good, but is that actually likely? 

This country needs a reality check. 

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This country needs a reality check. 

I think the issue is peoples idea of a what a country or nation is has changed. People are less likely to stick around to look after the oldies and now simply see the world as a global village where you simply go somewhere to get what you want, it might be to keep more of your money or get more benefits or even better weather.

Judging by the papers today the non-dom tax has backfired and its going to end up costing us money.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

I think the issue is peoples idea of a what a country or nation is has changed. People are less likely to stick around to look after the oldies and now simply see the world as a global village where you simply go somewhere to get what you want, it might be to keep more of your money or get more benefits or even better weather.

Judging by the papers today the non-dom tax has backfired and its going to end up costing us money.

well, whether they stick around or not, someone needs to pay for the pensions and health. Yes non doms might f**k off...but you're average joe won't be.

also, that non dom tax thing has come in early enough for Reeves to tweak so looks like isn't a net loss, but also looks like she's going to try and up the borrowing helped by some fiddly growth forecasts...and if they don't happen they'll stick up income tax and I'll be able to celebrate paying more cause I love being taxed.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

someone needs to pay for the pensions and health.

And we got to war with Putin someone needs to sign up and fight which has traditionally happned. I think the same thing will happen, most people will be on the first plane out of here.

Is that why they cut NI, to stop everyone leaving?

If they put up income tax some rich people might leave, but most won't...of course they won't.

What they should do is continue to bring down NI, stick up income tax and unfreeze the thresholds. Spread the cost but make it progressive...all with a common purpose of restoring public services to what they should be for an advanced country.

Keep it simple.

What people will do is scream and shout and vote tory who won't cut the taxes because they know that they need to go up too.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

What instead of paying more income tax?

I'm saying being more transitory is making us less connected to the nation state, being that fight to defend it or contribute more.

9 minutes ago, lost said:

I'm saying being more transitory is making us less connected to the nation state, being that fight to defend it or contribute more.

yeah, well I don't know...seems the nation state is still quite popular...brexit, nationalism etc. Yes people don't want to fight for the country, because people have more knowledge that fighting in wars isn't so heroic but actually not very nice..but if that war became existential that might change....see Ukraine, middle east etc. 

Whether people want to contribute more to pay for public services and welfare etc is where someone needs to be honest with our situation, instead of just constant misleading promises to win votes.

1 hour ago, Henrik said:

haha

bless you 

Well I'm not capable of paying for a healthcare service or a road or a benefits system or an energy grid or trains. They're still things I want.

Obviously on a personal scale I'd rather have money in my account. But also, y'know, I don't brag about having enough.

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Well I'm not capable of paying for a healthcare service or a road or a benefits system or an energy grid or trains. They're still things I want.

Obviously on a personal scale I'd rather have money in my account. But also, y'know, I don't brag about having enough.

This is a very odd post. Not sure what you are trying to say. 

I assume you're not very well. I hope things get better for you. 

27 minutes ago, Henrik said:

This is a very odd post. Not sure what you are trying to say. 

I assume you're not very well. I hope things get better for you. 

I'm saying that paying taxes funds things that are important to society that individuals aren't capable of funding themselves. I think I was pretty clear on that.

I assume the realise you couldn't realise that is because you're either incredibly selfish and don't understand basic empathy, or you're incredibly stupid. I hope you learn kindness eventually.

Edited by kaosmark2

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'm saying that paying taxes funds things that are important to society that individuals aren't capable of funding themselves. I think I was pretty clear on that.

I assume the realise you couldn't realise that is because you're either incredibly selfish and don't understand basic empathy, or you're incredibly stupid.

We obviously need to pay taxes. I'm happy to pay my fair share.

Not sure why you have decided to attack me. 

5 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Not sure why you have decided to attack me. 

Personally I'd say comments like:

"C'mon, that's a bit rich coming from someone who doesn't pay income tax haha"

or

"I assume you're not well"

are more aggressive than anything I said.

I think you know you're being sh*tty and condescending and that's why you keep throwing "haha" or "lol" around to try and make it seem like a "bit of banter" when it's just rude.