UK Politics

kalifire

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

Well except for the record unemployment, the recession, slashing NHS funding thereby causing increased queues and closed wards, the increased crime rates, the poor state of many state schools due to underfunding, the selling of council houses but idiotically without any commitment to create further social housing, 

BBC News - The Thatcher years in statistics
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22070491

https://blogs.ubc.ca/imandywu/working-for-patients-thatcherisms-disguised-attack-on-the-nhs/

Despite all the above, the Tories kept winning elections. The left has never had a solution. All they did was blame Murdoch, dismiss the voters for  and denounce the one Labour leader who won an election. 

The 90's were pretty cool though. Culminating in 1999 when all the big films, fight club, office space, The matrix, American Beauty all effectivley having the same theme. When life is so stable it becomes boring, you go mad and do something to sabotage it.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the 80s...by late 70s the country was in a bit of state...and Thatcher did change things dramatically during her time in office, and there were many winners and many losers...but she won three terms, and changed the country..for better or worse depends on whether you won or lost I guess. I grew up in the 80s and still think that was the best decade for music, so thanks for that Maggie. Shame about SAW though.

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

As @Nobody Interesting has shared, the link I included earlier proves that wasn't the case.  It lowered from the record level she pushed it to, but was still  higher than before she came to power.

No Labour government has ever left office with unemployment lower than at the start of their term.

Plus the specific shift in jobs/unemployment mainly due to the move from industrial/manufacturing to service sector economy has spanned many different governments. It started with the 1976 IMF bailout where a stipulation was given that the UK shrink its industrial base. Onto Thatchers war with the unions, then India and China joining the WTO in the mid-90's, then the Eastern European countries joining the EU and finally the drive net zero.

Speaking of which reform are apparently going to offer a referendum on net zero. May go down well in the red wall?

Edited by lost

22 minutes ago, lost said:

Plus the specific shift in jobs/unemployment mainly due to the move from industrial/manufacturing to service sector economy has spanned many different governments. It started with the 1976 IMF bailout where a stipulation was given that the UK shrink its industrial base. Onto Thatchers war with the unions, then India and China joining the WTO in the mid-90's, then the Eastern European countries joining the EU and finally the drive net zero.

Speaking of which reform are apparently going to offer a referendum on net zero. May go down well in the red wall?

Yeah they hate net zero in red wall...you hear it all the time. Bloody net zero. This is a Galloway policy too. 

24 minutes ago, lost said:

Recent polling shows over 70% support for net zero with around 45% wanting to go faster.................... so bring on the lies and lets see what happenbs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Recent polling shows over 70% support for net zero with around 45% wanting to go faster.................... so bring on the lies and lets see what happenbs.

Used to hear similar over confidence amongst retainers..intact still do. I suggest maybe we don't have a referendum...

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

is that 45% polling the same polling that says greens will get MPs at the election.

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

wow what a shock, Neil talking out his arse again!

Never met someone so consistently wrong about everything. If Neil said it was sunny outside I'd take an umbrella.

from your graph unemployment had  ( from its worst) fallen by more than one third  by 1990. the ability to get a job was hugely changed, the available jobs paid better too.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So popular

at least everyone know his name who is the green party leader this week???

6 hours ago, lazyred said:

Despite all the above, the Tories kept winning elections. The left has never had a solution. All they did was blame Murdoch, dismiss the voters for  and denounce the one Labour leader who won an election. 

they also repeated their worst mistakes and fell  down the rabbit hole of their own myths.

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Regarding the 80s...by late 70s the country was in a bit of state...and Thatcher did change things dramatically during her time in office, and there were many winners and many losers...but she won three terms, and changed the country..for better or worse depends on whether you won or lost I guess. I grew up in the 80s and still think that was the best decade for music, so thanks for that Maggie. Shame about SAW though.

thatcher inherited a mess, made the mess a lot worse, and managed to improve some  things a little (, so that things were less grim some people still haven't noticed). 

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

Which things specifically?

as i see you've already noticed that unemployment had reduced from its worst, the result was that things felt less grim when she left office than they'd done during much of her time in office (unless in Scotland  I saw someone  claim. 😛)

9 hours ago, Neil said:

at least everyone know his name who is the green party leader this week???

7 hours ago, Neil said:

still wondering when we'll see the promised green surge!

Quite deranged behaviour how much you bring up things like the Greens totally unprompted because you have nothing interesting to say.

57 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Gillian Keegan outright lying about Labour, saying they’d stop the free childcare (they haven’t) on the BBC News just now…

I saw that and was quite impressed by how sally Nugent wasn't letting Keegan get away with the anti labour stuff 

Surprised this story did not get posted here last night. I do wonder how fast Labour will start to break into different groups and fight each other once (if) elected

Twenty Lancashire councillors have resigned their Labour memberships in protest over the party's leadership.

The councillors each sit on Pendle Borough Council, Nelson Town Council or Brierfield Town Council.

They claim Sir Keir Starmer's leadership no longer reflects their views and say they will now serve as independents.

The Labour Party said its focus was on winning the next general election.

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Prior to Brexit Ref the most remain was stood at around 55%

Prior to the Brexit ref the greens remain campaigning was of a calibre similar to corbyns as useful as a chcolate teapot.