UK Politics

kalifire

11 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

I struggle with Ashworth; he seems a bit out of his depth in comparison to the rest. Not sure he will get a prime job if anything at all. 

I'm not sure he seems out of his depth in terms of competency, I just think he comes across as very nasty and interested in picking fights. Starmer does seem to trust him and he's got a senior role in both the campaign team and whips. I think he's probably best off left there where he's mostly out of the public eye and media attention.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'm not sure he seems out of his depth in terms of competency, I just think he comes across as very nasty and interested in picking fights. Starmer does seem to trust him and he's got a senior role in both the campaign team and whips. I think he's probably best off left there where he's mostly out of the public eye and media attention.

paymaster general or 'without portfolio' or some such isn't he?  Think you're probably right, they will have him doing late night Peston in a more informal setting rather than Trevor Phillips or Kuenssberg once this is all over. 

5 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

paymaster general or 'without portfolio' or some such isn't he?  Think you're probably right, they will have him doing late night Peston in a more informal setting rather than Trevor Phillips or Kuenssberg once this is all over. 

Yeah, he gets moved around every minor reshuffle but he's always in the shadow cabinet in a seemingly innocuous position, but one that enables Starmer to have him in senior and fairly small meetings. I think he's got a lot more direct responsibility to Starmer than he's allowed in the media - probably partially because he's a bad media performer.

6 minutes ago, lazyred said:

I can't decide if these are disgruntled lefties or a clever Tory stunt

i think they are Corbynista's but yes more polished attack stuff than the Tories have.

Edited by lost

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

that pesky Sam Coates keeps going after where Labour could actually raise taxes.

He does have a point - if they don't rule it out then they might raise them in those places not ruled out like VAT and it is easy to rule it out everywhere if that was their plan and then the matter is closed.

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

He does have a point - if they don't rule it out then they might raise them in those places not ruled out like VAT and it is easy to rule it out everywhere if that was their plan and then the matter is closed.

so they just rule out everything and then we have austerity.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so they just rule out everything and then we have austerity.

That's a bit of a leap from ruling out tax rises totally to austerity....................................

but hey ho.

All I am saying is that if they have no plans to increase taxes full stop then say so and it shuts the media up. When they don't the media will run with it and front pages of the Hate etc will follow.