UK Politics

kalifire

8 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's almost as if he's made loads of incriminating tweets and is a hate-filled scumbag but is getting parachuted across the country because he's a Starmer ally.

The hypocrisy of this one actually shocked me.

Don't know the context of that tweet.

I don't know much about him, but I don't have a problem with being pro Israel or a Zionist or whatever, but if that Shaheen can be blocked just for liking some tweets then that opens a massive minefield probably, and people like Akehurst should be investigated too.

In the end it's factional as you say.. Akehurst is loyal to Starner, Shaheen isn't.

Edited by steviewevie

15 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Ally’s of leadership have always been parachuted in to safe seats for parties across the political spectrum. People talk about PR being better but the list system also encourages favourable positions to those loyal to leadership.

I don’t know much about the guy. What does he stand for outside Middle East politics?

Under Corbyn, and for the first 3 years of Starmer, I consistently said that the favouring of allies and factionalism was in line with most previous leaders across both main parties. A bit worse than Ed Miliband, but probably in line with Brown, Blair, Cameron, or Major. The last 18 months have been a joke though. 

He doesn't really publicly stand for anything other than middle east politics and loyalty to Starmer, he's director of a company called "We believe in Israel", and when he was an Oxford Labour councillor he was known for shouting people down and accusing people of being "traitors".

I didn't bother going back to Bristol Labour meetings a while ago because of shouty abusive Corbynistas, and I wouldn't have been interested in going to Oxford ones because of the reputation of this shitbag.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

She said publicly last night she wanted to

I guess that might be as a result of the handling of her re-instatement.  She didn't seem like a well woman on the TV last night.

5 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Under Corbyn, and for the first 3 years of Starmer, I consistently said that the favouring of allies and factionalism was in line with most previous leaders across both main parties. A bit worse than Ed Miliband, but probably in line with Brown, Blair, Cameron, or Major. The last 18 months have been a joke though. 

He doesn't really publicly stand for anything other than middle east politics and loyalty to Starmer, he's director of a company called "We believe in Israel", and when he was an Oxford Labour councillor he was known for shouting people down and accusing people of being "traitors".

I didn't bother going back to Bristol Labour meetings a while ago because of shouty abusive Corbynistas, and I wouldn't have been interested in going to Oxford ones because of the reputation of this shitbag.

looked on his twitter feed, or whatever is left of it. It's all just Labour stuff, and support for Israel's new Labour party leader. Looked on his blog thing and it is all NEC meeting minutes which is actually quite interesting.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Might vote Lib Dems

I can't see why he thinks this will bring votes. 'Man of the People' maybe.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well apparently this is what Labour actually did want...but the leak to the Times f**ked it.

Yeah its a bit late to try and resurrect that deal if it existed. Starmer praised Diane Abbott earlier as well but it was all past tense. He ended by saying at this election we want the best candidates which sounds like they won't keep her. They'll end up offering her a peerage.

4 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Yeah its a bit late to try and resurrect that deal if it existed. Starmer praised Diane Abbott earlier as well but it was all past tense. He ended by saying at this election we want the best candidates which sounds like they won't keep her. They'll end up offering her a peerage.

Yeah, let her stand I reckon, and if she decides to stand so be it. They have to decide by next Tuesday, probably need to decide before then because this is taking up all the oxygen.

23 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

I can't see why he thinks this will bring votes. 'Man of the People' maybe.

No one knows who Ed Davey is, gets people talking about them I guess.

In slightly related news I thought the Lib Dems did a really funny Tik Tok the other day taking the piss out of Sunak playing football with a Peep Show voiceover.

4 hours ago, lazyred said:

Bad for who? Labour's main message is Don't be afraid we really have changed.

Activists will feel deflated and angry. Voters will think Oh, maybe they really have changed.

If you think that a single percent of Labour’s majority comes from anything other than the conservatives being a total binfire for the last few years and the UK being a two party system, you’re just not getting it.

I would be amazed if one single voter decides that yes axing Abbott is the final drop, now I will vote Labour.

Meanwhile many in her constituency will decide yes axing Abbott is the final drop, now I will not vote Labour.

And the news story is then about labour infighting instead of whatever sh*t policy Starmer wanted to peddle this week, and then U turn on.

Many people will know of Abbott...she was probably the most well known Corbynista after Corbyn himself...but she probably was more liked and at same time disliked than Corbyn...because of her being a black woman. I don't know how this all sits with the general public, I expect a lot of people will be sympathetic for her, a lot of people will think Labour are doing the right thing in getting rid, a lot of people will just think Labour are a joke, and a lot of people won't give a flying f**k. But Labour need to sort it out and move on. Just let her stand ffs. She's probably going to retire soonish anyway.