UK Politics

kalifire

I watched the 'debate' last night.

Well if they are the best we have......................... oh dear.

Sunak just spoke louder and louder and over everyone repeating the same old same old and ignored the past.

Stamer missed numerous opportunities to shut the £2k tax down before he finally, and not well, responded to it. Also if you are going to agree to a debate then don't just keep saying 'it's in the manifesto' in reply as it comes across to normal folk that you cannot answer the question.

Still, I am sure the next debate will be better. Not

So am I to understand that all pensions are now tax avoiding (even though HMRC quite clearly say they are not) and if you have one you support the Tories cos they are invested in the stock market and Tories investors make profits from it.

Blimey!

In other news, did you know that all social housing in the UK is possible because councils invest money in the stock market and similar schemes and in doing so they avoid tax and in doing so they help Tories get rich. So if you live in social housing you are helping someone avoid tax and making the Tories richer.

and yes, that too is a stupid comment to make even though technically it is true.

Good morning all.

18 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I watched the 'debate' last night.

Well if they are the best we have......................... oh dear.

Sunak just spoke louder and louder and over everyone repeating the same old same old and ignored the past.

Stamer missed numerous opportunities to shut the £2k tax down before he finally, and not well, responded to it. Also if you are going to agree to a debate then don't just keep saying 'it's in the manifesto' in reply as it comes across to normal folk that you cannot answer the question.

Still, I am sure the next debate will be better. Not

I wonder if someone told Starmer during the break about this tax thing.

12 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

So am I to understand that all pensions are now tax avoiding (even though HMRC quite clearly say they are not) and if you have one you support the Tories cos they are invested in the stock market and Tories investors make profits from it.

Yeah unfortunately that is Neil's mad view on things. He's suspiciously quiet when asked if he ever 'avoided' tax when running efests through claiming business expenses. (obv this isnt actually tax avoidance just using his logic against him)

Also my work pension won't even be invested in the stock market lol

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah unfortunately that is Neil's mad view on things. He's suspiciously quiet when asked if he ever 'avoided' tax when running efests through claiming business expenses. (obv this isnt actually tax avoidance just using his logic against him)

Also my work pension won't even be invested in the stock market lol

Technically anyone who has ever bought or sold anything from a car boot sale or jumble sale etc has also avoided tax if we really want to go all in.

Pretty sure every single person alive has, in some way, avoided tax without even knowing it.

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Technically anyone who has ever bought or sold anything from a car boot sale or jumble sale etc has also avoided tax if we really want to go all in.

Pretty sure every single person alive has, in some way, avoided tax without even knowing it.

Yeah totally, but on a wider point about workplace pensions, you don't really get a choice- it's tax efficient yes but for the vast majority of people, you need a big pension pot or you'll be pretty destitute in retirement & no guarantee the state pension will still be there in 2070 or whatever

12 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah totally, but on a wider point about workplace pensions, you don't really get a choice- it's tax efficient yes but for the vast majority of people, you need a big pension pot or you'll be pretty destitute in retirement & no guarantee the state pension will still be there in 2070 or whatever

and not all pensions were contributory in the 'good old days' so no tax avoidance at all. My wifes was 0% Nat West Bank and I just had to pay 1.5% Widow/ers contribution but the main pension was 0% - and mandatory.

So no tax avoided and could not say no.

4 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

You don’t even know what type of pension I have 😂

i know that better than you know what pensions my family have.

48 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

penny starts her campaign for leader, forgetting that Farage will be in for it. if he gets to be an mp.

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

its a repeat of the "labour's tax bombshell" campaign from years ago, can't remember which election that was, think Michael Howard might have been tory leader

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

its a repeat of the "labour's tax bombshell" campaign from years ago, can't remember which election that was, think Michael Howard might have been tory leader

They've probably used it many times, or versions of it...but the one that always gets highlighted  was when used in 1992, Major vs Kinnock. Labour were ahead in the polls, and then lost the election.

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

i know that better than you know what pensions my family have.

You don't know though.

And I made an educated guess based on the fact almost everyone has a workplace pension and few opt out. Also you're the only one dumb enough to think you've done something smart by not saving for your retirement. 

Now you brag about getting an inheritance and not working even thought you used to claim inheritance was the root of all evil.

Don't blame me for your mistakes 🙂

15 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Also you're the only one dumb enough to think you've done something smart by not saving for your retirement. 

I've been able to enjoy my money with full fitness, something i wouldn't have been able to do if i'd saved it for retirement, so from that angle it was very very smart.

and also, i'm very well provisioned for my retirement as good or better than plenty of pensions.

16 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

And I made an educated guess based on the fact almost everyone has a workplace pension and few opt out.

I didn't even realise you could opt out to be honest - I was signed up automatically to this tax avoidance scheme ( 🙂 ) where I pay in 5% and my employer pays in 5%