UK Politics

kalifire

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

If Ukraine had been in NATO and protected by nukes would Russia have invaded.

If Israel didn't have nukes would it still be there?

Ukraine gave up its nukes, and got attacked by a nuclear state.

55 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Probably this.

yes, we were that 'big state', able to take on the nasty states.

7 hours ago, steviewevie said:

what MP is going to let him in as leader? I can only see Patel or Braverman doing that, maybe, and don't think it will be either of them. Will be Badenoch or Cleverly or Mordaunt. Actually I guess a lot will depend on who is left?

More likely to be Cameron for a second go. Like he’s not f**ked us enough already. 

29 minutes ago, stuie said:

More likely to be Cameron for a second go. Like he’s not f**ked us enough already. 

hes not going to win them any elections.

13 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'm not under an obligation to reply to every point you make in a post if I only want to reply to one part of it

It would be rather nice though if you replied to at least a whole sentence in the context it was written rather than taking one small part out of context.

12 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Probably this.

Thank you for reading the whole post and responding accordingly. Makes a change for that to happen round here.

12 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

I think with the World in it's current state, I would rather have nukes rather than not at the moment.

It was not labelled MAD for no reason - and would still be MAD which of course is mad.

53 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The battle for future of the party has already began...Braverman wants Farage.

Well I did say there were those in the Tory party that wanted him and if it is his plan to try and lead them then that is what will likely happen like I said yesterday.

At least one of the 'main' parties is not scared to have this as a policy.

The Liberal Democrats will launch their manifesto with a £9bn pledge to fix the health and care system.

The policy, which will be revealed by party leader Sir Ed Davey on Monday, includes plans to recruit 8,000 more GPs, boost cancer survival rates and introduce free personal care for the elderly and the disabled.

The total cost would be an extra £9.4bn a year, to be funded in part by reforming capital gains tax. CGT is paid on profits from the sale of assets such as shares or property and is set lower than the rate of income tax.

It is often argued this disparity means wealthy people, who often earn more from assets than from income, are able to pay less tax.

The Lib Dem manifesto will also promise not to increase income tax, VAT or national insurance.

Speaking to Sky News, Sir Ed Davey said: "This is the healthcare election for the Liberal Democrats. 

"We've been listening to people around the country, and top of their concerns in so many areas is the health service. 

"So we have absolutely made the NHS and care at the heart of our manifesto."

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

The battle for future of the party has already began...Braverman wants Farage.

she wants reform to merge with the tories.

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The Liberal Democrats will launch their manifesto with a £9bn pledge to fix the health and care system.

The policy, which will be revealed by party leader Sir Ed Davey on Monday, includes plans to recruit 8,000 more GPs, boost cancer survival rates and introduce free personal care for the elderly and the disabled.

The total cost would be an extra £9.4bn a year, to be funded in part by reforming capital gains tax. CGT is paid on profits from the sale of assets such as shares or property and is set lower than the rate of income tax.

It is often argued this disparity means wealthy people, who often earn more from assets than from income, are able to pay less tax.

The Lib Dem manifesto will also promise not to increase income tax, VAT or national insurance.

Speaking to Sky News, Sir Ed Davey said: "This is the healthcare election for the Liberal Democrats. 

"We've been listening to people around the country, and top of their concerns in so many areas is the health service. 

where are they gonna find those 8,000 gps.

i changed doctors sergury recently. its stopped my nhs app from working so i cant request a repeat prescription. so i contacted new docs online this morning and they were back to me in ten minutes. i'm now waiting for another call.

amazing service, much better than my old docs.

11 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

are they gonna levy CGT on pension shares? should do as those peeps are often tax-avoided filthy rich on tax-payer money,

Edited by Neil

37 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Well I did say there were those in the Tory party that wanted him and if it is his plan to try and lead them then that is what will likely happen like I said yesterday.

If Braverman or Patel become leader then yes, maybe....but more likely it will be Badenoch/Mordaunt/Cleverly who won't want him anywhere near.

Maybe Labour will put up CGT, and/or inheritance tax...they haven't been explicitly ruled out, not sure how fits with the no tax rises for working people thing they keep going on about. Could fix council tax too. Possible that in the autumn Reeves will go what the f**k didn't know it was this bad, we're going to need more dosh let's tax wealth.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

9bn is a bargain it if provides free personal care. It looks like labour are going with a lifetime cap on care fees which pealises families with smaller inheritances. I'd like to see pensioners pay some NI to pay for social care but I don't expect it to happen.