UK Politics

kalifire

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Plus, their manifesto was pretty good

lots of nice words, labour will probably promise world peace. 😛 

9 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

It's essentially just another income tax now.

but poorly applied, the rich are avoiding a lot of NI compared to the proportion of income the average joe pays in NI.would be fairer if it was an income tax.

On 2/21/2024 at 12:51 PM, Nobody Interesting said:

Some of the rich would likely want to simply get rid of poor people once and for all - and I don't mean by making then rich

greens were happy to be funded by tax-avoided textiles money.

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

On the general point about moving right to win, when Labour don't do this then they lose. I don't really see much difference in policy between Starmer and Milliband. I see these people as mainstream soft left Labour.

And I remember being underwhelmed in 2015 too.

I've been digging out the old manifesto and there's loads of bloody comments from Farage about the manifesto back then; can't believe that this country has been dominated by this bloke's obsessions for a decade. But I thought this comment from Clegg was quite funny (even if the bloke was a lying sack of shite who sold his party and the chance of PR down the river for a pile of beans):

"Ed Miliband's claim that Labour has no plans for additional borrowing is a bit like an alcoholic, who drinks a bottle of vodka every day, claiming they have no plans for additional vodka. It's a dangerous habit, it's a dangerous addiction and their plans actually involve £70bn of more borrowing than we know is necessary."

9 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

And I remember being underwhelmed in 2015 too.

I've been digging out the old manifesto and there's loads of bloody comments from Farage about the manifesto back then; can't believe that this country has been dominated by this bloke's obsessions for a decade. But I thought this comment from Clegg was quite funny (even if the bloke was a lying sack of shite who sold his party and the chance of PR down the river for a pile of beans):

"Ed Miliband's claim that Labour has no plans for additional borrowing is a bit like an alcoholic, who drinks a bottle of vodka every day, claiming they have no plans for additional vodka. It's a dangerous habit, it's a dangerous addiction and their plans actually involve £70bn of more borrowing than we know is necessary."

Which is the funny part? Did you post it yet?

2 hours ago, lazyred said:

On the general point about moving right to win, when Labour don't do this then they lose.  

Nonsense. Labour has won power from the Tories 3 times since the war. I don't think Clement Attlee or Harold Wilson could have been been described as "moving to the right."

The only one who moved to the the right and won was Tony Blair and the Tory Party was such a disaster then that the Wurzels could have defeated them. And even at that, he was elected on a more radical platform than Starmer.

Keir Starmer makes Beige look fluorescent!!

Edited by LJS

6 minutes ago, LJS said:

Nonsense. Labour has won power from the Tories 3 times since the war. I don't think Clement Attlee or Harold Wilson could have been been described as "moving to the right."

The only won who moved to the the right and won was Tony Blair and the Tory Party was such a disaster then that the Wurzels could have defeated them. And even at that, he was elected on a more radical platform than Starmer.

That was quite a while ago though. Last 45 years it's been Tories or Blair.

We're all Thatcher's children now.

Edited by steviewevie

1 hour ago, LJS said:

The only one who moved to the the right and won was Tony Blair and the Tory Party was such a disaster then that the Wurzels could have defeated them. And even at that, he was elected on a more radical platform than Starmer.

I think if we are being honest the sample size of labour wins is too small to make any significant judgement. You may want labour to be more left wing, but they are as left wing as the party you currently support. They are moving to the centre to try and build up an electoral coalition just as the SNP have done.

31 minutes ago, LJS said:

Coincidentally we are on the same wavelength as I have just come on to post about Sophy. Not only do I think I’m falling a bit in love with her, I think she is the best political interviewer around.

43 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think if we are being honest the sample size of labour wins is too small to make any significant judgement. You may want labour to be more left wing, but they are as left wing as the party you currently support. They are moving to the centre to try and build up an electoral coalition just as the SNP have done.

why is it every time I make a point about Labour, you bring up the SNP? I deliberately don't go on about them because I am conscious this is a UK election & folk from all over the UK are contributing. 

bet hey you brought it up. so...

the SNP not only believe in a tax system where folk who earn more pay more, but they have actually implemented it, unlike Labour.

The SNP recognise that leaving the EU was a mistake & actively campaign to re-join ... unlike Labour

The SNP recognise that immigration is essential & refuse to join in with the demonization of immigrants ... unlike Labour 

The SNP oppose the 2 child benefit cap ... unlike Labour

I could go on but I think I have made my point.

41 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Coincidentally we are on the same wavelength as I have just come on to post about Sophy. Not only do I think I’m falling a bit in love with her, I think she is the best political interviewer around.

Glad we agree on something PT 💗

6 hours ago, LJS said:

why is it every time I make a point about Labour, you bring up the SNP? I deliberately don't go on about them because I am conscious this is a UK election & folk from all over the UK are contributing. 

bet hey you brought it up. so...

the SNP not only believe in a tax system where folk who earn more pay more, but they have actually implemented it, unlike Labour.

The SNP recognise that leaving the EU was a mistake & actively campaign to re-join ... unlike Labour

The SNP recognise that immigration is essential & refuse to join in with the demonization of immigrants ... unlike Labour 

The SNP oppose the 2 child benefit cap ... unlike Labour

I could go on but I think I have made my point.

Glad we agree on something PT 💗

My answer would be to judge Labour when in power not when trying to win votes in a campaign. Just as SNP are keen to hold on to the Kate Forbes like socially conservatives voters, labour want to hold on to those red wall voters.

Unfortunately for both of us there are not enough people who share our political views for the parties we are supporting to win. The SNP came to power broadly following a new Labour approach and I maintain both are quite centre ground pragmatic parties.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

GDP growth back to zero, and unemployment ticking up. Doesn't exactly help Sunak and his the plan is working thing.

although apparently could mean interest rates are cut sooner rather than later, maybe during this election campaign. 

7 hours ago, LJS said:

If Labour ran an election campaign which included going back into the EU they would probably lose, who does that benefit?

7 hours ago, LJS said:

The SNP recognise that immigration is essential & refuse to join in with the demonization of immigrants

Scotland barely has any immigrants, you can see that living here. It's like 96% white here. The SNP can take this position because it is not a big issue up here because immigration is so low. I highly doubt if Dundee started experiencing as much immigration as say Luton that attitudes wouldn't change among the general public and as a knock on effect, with the populist SNP

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

although apparently could mean interest rates are cut sooner rather than later, maybe during this election campaign. 

Statement yesterday was wage growth is still too high (6%) but that now is concentrated in the public sector which obviously has massive issues for the incoming government if people expect the public sector to be expanded further whilst the private is shrinking.

8 minutes ago, lost said:

Statement yesterday was wage growth is still too high (6%) but that now is concentrated in the public sector which obviously has massive issues for the incoming government if people expect the public sector to be expanded further whilst the private is shrinking.

Minimum wage rise

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

GDP growth back to zero, and unemployment ticking up. Doesn't exactly help Sunak and his the plan is working thing.

and does not help Labour who are relying on growth to do anything................. and unemployment will be 'their fault' even though it isn't.