UK Politics

kalifire

38 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Scotland barely has any immigrants, you can see that living here. It's like 96% white here. The SNP can take this position because it is not a big issue up here because immigration is so low. I highly doubt if Dundee started experiencing as much immigration as say Luton that attitudes wouldn't change among the general public and as a knock on effect, with the populist SNP

Oddly many areas that voted Leave have few immigrants. Newcastle and the surrounding area has very few, one of the lowest amounts in the UK but still voted to Leave. I know people up there who voted Leave and their opinions were pretty much based on what the media told them even though they had no experience of it.

17 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Oddly many areas that voted Leave have few immigrants. Newcastle and the surrounding area has very few, one of the lowest amounts in the UK but still voted to Leave. I know people up there who voted Leave and their opinions were pretty much based on what the media told them even though they had no experience of it.

I thought Newcastle voted remain?

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I thought Newcastle voted remain?

Just looked it up. Newcatle itself voted remain.. just. Most surrounding areas to leave

I think socio economic grouping was the biggest indicator, bascially the old labour types who still see a country like a union, a protective ring to try and keep living standards / wages high.

11 hours ago, LJS said:

Nonsense. Labour has won power from the Tories 3 times since the war. I don't think Clement Attlee or Harold Wilson could have been been described as "moving to the right."

The only one who moved to the the right and won was Tony Blair and the Tory Party was such a disaster then that the Wurzels could have defeated them. And even at that, he was elected on a more radical platform than Starmer.

Keir Starmer makes Beige look fluorescent!!

Different times but Attlee and Wilson were centre left as defined then. Wilson moved from the left towards the centre and won after 14 years of Tory rule by promising a modernised economy using new technology. Just like Blair and Starmer.

The other thing about Labour in 1997 is how little they promised. 5 pledges including no increase to income tax and stuff on crime, heatlh and education. This was to be paid for by windfall taxes on utilities and cutting NHS bureaucracy. All the stuff they are remembered for, good or bad, was not in the first manifesto.

I expect Labour to deliver more than they promise now, A big majority and a centre right split gives them a good chance of 3 terms.

3 minutes ago, lost said:

I think socio economic grouping was the biggest indicator, bascially the old labour types who still see a country like a union, a protective ring to try and keep living standards / wages high.

I agree Brexit was a protest against Globalization and immigration was a symbol of that. Politicians made promises they couldn't keep and didn't want to. The irony is the EU is very protectionist and since covid regional economic blocs are more important.

8 minutes ago, lost said:

Yes in some cases, but a lot of leave vote also came from affluent areas outside cities with lots of Tory voters.

30 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Different times but Attlee and Wilson were centre left as defined then. Wilson moved from the left towards the centre and won after 14 years of Tory rule by promising a modernised economy using new technology. Just like Blair and Starmer.

The other thing about Labour in 1997 is how little they promised. 5 pledges including no increase to income tax and stuff on crime, heatlh and education. This was to be paid for by windfall taxes on utilities and cutting NHS bureaucracy. All the stuff they are remembered for, good or bad, was not in the first manifesto.

I expect Labour to deliver more than they promise now, A big majority and a centre right split gives them a good chance of 3 terms.

Minimum wage was, that was a pretty big thing back then nah? 

Greens raising national Insurance rate to 8% on annual wages above £50,270. Doesn't seem alot nowadays, Wouldnt buy you much house wise around here.

Green manifesto is kind of sexy. Loads of spending, loads of tax rises, not sure it all adds up...I expect IFS will have something to say. I could actually vote for them, I have the luxury of living in a super safe labour seat so wouldn't make any difference.

Shame their leaders are like a couple of nerd 6th formers.

Lots of stuff I like in the Green manifesto launch. I wish Labour would risk the wealth tax. It wasn't as "green" as I expected. I'm sure it's all in the document but the headline stuff was about tax and public services.

25 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Lots of stuff I like in the Green manifesto launch. I wish Labour would risk the wealth tax. It wasn't as "green" as I expected. I'm sure it's all in the document but the headline stuff was about tax and public services.

no one gives a sh*t about the climate, especially when it's bloody freezing in June. They're going after the left vote, although those rural tory/green voters might baulk at having to pay all that extra tax.