UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

they still pay more tax, just that NI and Income tax are separated

also, you surely don't think someone on 50k in 2024 is a high earner? It's a bit above average for a full time salary 

maybe in London...average wage across UK 30-35k.

36 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

In June 2024, according to the ONS, average weekly earnings are £687. The NI rise kicks in for earnings over £967 a week.

So average earnings are 40.7% below when the NI rise would kick in - so hardly 'a bit above average'.

and the increase only applies to earnings over £50,284 and that amounts to just £60 for every £1000 of extra income.

IMHO that really is not much to pay and when you get to the really high earners over £125k then they really really should be paying more and this will make sure they do...................

and at least someone out there, perhaps Lib Dems excepted, is actually talking about how the UK needs investment and how to get it rather than just pinning all hopes on growth.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and the increase only applies to earnings over £50,284 and that amounts to just £60 for every £1000 of extra income.

IMHO that really is not much to pay and when you get to the really high earners over £125k then they really really should be paying more and this will make sure they do...................

and at least someone out there, perhaps Lib Dems excepted, is actually talking about how the UK needs investment and how to get it rather than just pinning all hopes on growth.

still think would be fairer to stick that on income tax.

Agree about your last point, although Lib Dems have ruled out income tax or NI rises too and are going for CGT, which Labour may well do too.

10 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

But a 20 something in London with a student loan who's take home is £2900ish and average rent is £2200 will be paying it too. £60 might let them have a night out.

Edited by lost

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

rent controls might help with that rent?

It was just an example to show someone on that sort of salary in London isn't rich. The young person in question is probably in a shared house and not trying to live off £700 a month after housing. Apparently for a single person, the average cost of living in London is £4200 so your looking at £80k plus to be average.

10 minutes ago, lost said:

It was just an example to show someone on that sort of salary in London isn't rich. The young person in question is probably in a shared house and not trying to live off £700 a month after housing. Apparently for a single person, the average cost of living in London is £4200 so your looking at £80k plus to be average.

Average London rent for a room is 1000. If its  hard to live on 50k how hard is for the majority on less than that

Edited by lazyred
misread your comment

11 minutes ago, lost said:

so should our UK taxation policy by decided by what goes on in London?

31 minutes ago, lost said:

But a 20 something in London with a student loan who's take home is £2900ish and average rent is £2200 will be paying it too. £60 might let them have a night out.

A night out is more than loads get and certainly more than a sick person stuck on a 2 year waiting list gets.

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

still think would be fairer to stick that on income tax.

Agree about your last point, although Lib Dems have ruled out income tax or NI rises too and are going for CGT, which Labour may well do too.

Increasing income tax so people earning over £50,294 by 6% will cost individuals exactly the same as doing it on NI.

It makes no difference to the individual and what they will pay.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Increasing income tax so people earning over £50,294 by 6% will cost individuals exactly the same as doing it on NI.

It makes no difference to the individual and what they will pay.

no but means that it isn't just earners who pay this...but people with other sources of income etc forever.

3 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Average London rent for a room is 1000. If its  hard to live on 50k how hard is for the majority on less than that

Well thats why alot of people don't work isn't it. There is no incentive in being told the best you can aspire to a room in a shared house and you should be grateful.

To me "rich" means living in a mansion, flying business class, staying in 5* star hotels etc..

Starmer's doing Labour's manifesto announcement in Manchester tomorrow. Might go and chuck some milkshake on him, get myself some clicks.  I could fulfill my lifetime ambition of being a twitter legend.

Apparently they are going to have NHS is for sale in it.

17 minutes ago, lost said:

Well thats why alot of people don't work isn't it. There is no incentive in being told the best you can aspire to a room in a shared house and you should be grateful.

To me "rich" means living in a mansion, flying business class, staying in 5* star hotels etc..

This is the problem, everyone thinks they are average and tax the rich should mean richer than me. To get more from the super rich CGT and dividend tax should increase to income tax levels or we should introduce a wealth tax

12 minutes ago, lazyred said:

This is the problem, everyone thinks they are average and tax the rich should mean richer than me. To get more from the super rich CGT and dividend tax should increase to income tax levels or we should introduce a wealth tax

I'm skeptical how much these policies will raise. For example I know $100k in ringgit in a malaysian bank account will buy me 5 years residencey in Kuala Lumpur where I can dispose of any assets whilst paying 0% capital gains.

Same with young people. Why stay and pay 50% + taxes inc student loans towards this boomerocracy and live in a shared house in a sh*tty city with sh*tty weather when there are loads of jobs you can do from a laptop lying on a beach in Bali paying no tax at all.

I think we sometimes over estimate how "special" our contry is and what people are prepared to pay for the privilege of living here.