UK Politics

kalifire

40 minutes ago, LJS said:

Wealth creation should be a means to an end, not an aim in  itself. And certainly should not be "the no. 1 priority" for Labour.

You're going to win, Keir, you can stop pretending to be a Tory.

Now if he said wealth creation for the poorest is his priority that would be good - but just a random statement to make more wealth is meaningless.

13 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Full time minimum wage is surely above 20k by now 

even if it is, £50k would still be dreamland.

15 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

If this is what happens when you try and 'be more Tory' then perhaps the electorate are sick to death of 'tory' and Labour might try being a bit 'mor Labour'.

i wouldnt get excited over one poll which was already way too high on the Labour share.

32 minutes ago, Neil said:

even if it is, £50k would still be dreamland.

It’s a fairly normal middle class salary. Teachers earn just shy of 50k when they top their band round here for example.

Also even if 50k is a lot to someone who earns little, doesn’t mean they should be paying more tax.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

It’s a fairly normal middle class salary. Teachers earn just shy of 50k when they top their band round here for example.

Also even if 50k is a lot to someone who earns little, doesn’t mean they should be paying more tax.

they already do...higher rate band

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Well if last night proved one thing it proved that if Sunak and Starmer are the best the UK can do then the UK will be stuck in amess for a long while yet.

I am not sure strength of inteview skills are an indicator of how well you can run a country. Labour could have someone like Streeting at the top who would give a stronger,more combative interview. I don’t think he would do as good a job i leadership as Starmer.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

It might be normal for lots of peeps but if you're someone earning much less a huge increase is a dream.

37 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I am not sure strength of inteview skills are an indicator of how well you can run a country. Labour could have someone like Streeting at the top who would give a stronger,more combative interview. I don’t think he would do as good a job i leadership as Starmer.

Starmer is someone with proven management skills and I'd think running a big branch of govt services is good training for running all of govt.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Getting to european tax levels around 40% of gdp means everyone needs to pay more.

Within that tax rates should be fairer. That includes lowering the high marginal tax rates as the tax allowance is withdrawn but also paying full NI on all earnings. 

Unearned income and wealth gains  should d be taxed the sane as earnings.

• Upvote 1