UK Politics

kalifire

So these things:

www.whogetsmyvote.org

Come around every election, and I think that for most people who would do them, they're usually pretty uninformative/useless.

However, I think this year's one really shows HOW light all the manifestos are on real policy. There's so little substance to the questions and they're all (as always) based off manifesto policies.

Edited by kaosmark2

7 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

So these things:

www.whogetsmyvote.org

Come around every election, and I think that for most people who would do them, they're usually pretty uninformative/useless.

However, I think this year's one really shows HOW light all the manifestos are on real policy. There's so little substance to the questions and they're all (as always) based off manifesto policies.

Greens narrowly beat Labour for me, but it's close. Also on the best for britain tactical vote site for where I live it says vote with your heart as I am in super safe labour land...so hell I could vote Green. But I'm voting Labour.

I actually had quite a few No Opinions on there, because you know...can't have everything.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Greens narrowly beat Labour for me, but it's close. Also on the best for britain tactical vote site for where I live it says vote with your heart as I am in super safe labour land...so hell I could vote Green. But I'm voting Labour.

I actually had quite a few No Opinions on there, because you know...can't have everything.

quite happy with my positioning on this too...centrist dad

image.thumb.png.8bbcd42ed8b4896a5b3328eda2d7320b.png

it did amuse me that they think Alba are more left wing and more progressive than the Labour Party
image.png.4bb1e2f349effc73292d00044ef3809b.png

2 minutes ago, LJS said:

it did amuse me that they think Alba are more left wing and more progressive than the Labour Party
image.png.4bb1e2f349effc73292d00044ef3809b.png

Its odd that there is so much margin between Labour and the tories given that much of the Labour manifesto consists of aping the tory position.

The ideological distance between the Labour manifesto and Green/Lib Dem manifestos is much greater than that between the Labour manifesto and the tory manifesto and yet..

might have to re-do mine...going through the answers I gave what now I think are incorrect answers...maybe I'm more right wing before my first cup of tea. I seemed to think Inheritance tax should be reduced back then.

I wonder if there's any research on correlation between lack of caffeine and political viewpoint (or that I can't understand english)

I also had No Opinion on the Rwanda scheme...that's going off the recent Romesh Ranganathan travel thing he did recently on Rwanda...looked really nice, much nicer than here. Would be tempted coming over on a small boat if meant I could get on one of those flights.

ONLY JOKING

kind of.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Its odd that there is so much margin between Labour and the tories given that much of the Labour manifesto consists of aping the tory position.

The ideological distance between the Labour manifesto and Green/Lib Dem manifestos is much greater than that between the Labour manifesto and the tory manifesto and yet..

Labour manifesto is actually quietly radical.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

radical

ˈradɪk(ə)l
adjective
(especially of change or action) relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough. 
The manifesto is many things, radical is not one of them. Safe and steady would be better words.

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

radical

ˈradɪk(ə)l
adjective
(especially of change or action) relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough. 
The manifesto is many things, radical is not one of them. Safe and steady would be better words.

It is radical, it just does it quietly.

58 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you got that slightly wrong  - Labour's manifesto is Radically Quiet

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LJS said:

you got that slightly wrong  - Labour's manifesto is Radically Quiet

That too.

SNP doing their manifesto thing at the moment. All sounds pretty good, would vote for them if I could.

Actually, I am an English supporter of Scottish independence, although if they're now going to start voting labour again maybe they can stay.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

when gaslighting isn’t getting you anywhere just switch to blatant scaremongering. 

So nice of the SNP to tell us English to spend more on the NHS. Wonder why they're not choosing to fund the same increase for Scotland from within Scotland.

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Unsurprisingly for me, I was basically next to the Green party.

The thing is, I do believe in practical governance, and collective responsibility. Whatever nice things I want are meaningless if you can't get the political will to implement them. But this Labour manifesto is so light on policy or impact. And every time a Labour cabinet member speaks to the press it shows they're terrified of offering nice things.

Nice things like getting kids out of poverty, or not letting the world burn, or getting sewage out of the drinking supply. Y'know, nothing as important as fiscal rules.

Edited by kaosmark2