UK Politics

kalifire

6 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Unsurprisingly for me, I was basically next to the Green party.

The thing is, I do believe in practical governance, and collective responsibility. Whatever nice things I want are meaningless if you can't get the political will to implement them. But this Labour manifesto is so light on policy or impact. And every time a Labour cabinet member speaks to the press it shows they're terrified of offering nice things.

Nice things like getting kids out of poverty, or not letting the world burn, or getting sewage out of the drinking supply. Y'know, nothing as important as fiscal rules.

Yep, well written and for me a very accurate summary.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Yep, well written and for me a very accurate summary.

so do you green supporters back the greens in bristol, evicting the homeless from their alternative housing?

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

so do you green supporters back the greens in bristol, evicting the homeless from their alternative housing?

The only thing I can think you are on about is the removal of people living in caravans from an area of the Downs. If that is the thing you are on about then they are not 'homeless' like you say and still live in their alternative housing just on a different site. The legal order used was obtained under the previous administration, run I think by Labour.

If you are referring to somewhere else then a link would be good.

Woo-hoo! Just got my postal vote. Time to hold my nose & vote for Lib-dems (swore I never would again after the coalition).

Just need to get rid of the awful Alex Chalk - bit worried he might win again as there's no Reform on our ballot!

just don't think these sort of stunts help their cause. I guess they think any publicity is worth it. But, it makes the whole green lot look like a bunch of smelly hippy protesters which obviously they're not, well not all of them, some are nerdy 6th formers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

But, it makes the whole green lot look like a bunch of smelly hippy protesters

As an old smelly hippy protestor from the days of the stonehenge free festival, Just Stop Oil can f**k off with their stupid childish stunts.

I'm nostalgic for the days of activist heroes like Greenpeace who put their lives at risk putting themselves between the whales and the whaling ships on the high seas fighting for what they believed in. Is this what counts as 'activism' these days ffs?

Don't see any of these Just Stop Oil protestors heading to the oil fields of the middle east to 'keep it in the ground'.

6 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

I'm nostalgic for the days of activist heroes like Greenpeace who put their lives at risk putting themselves between the whales and the whaling ships on the high seas fighting for what they believed in. Is this what counts as 'activism' these days ffs?

Don't see any of these Just Stop Oil protestors heading to the oil fields of the middle east to 'keep it in the ground'.

their strategy is to get noticed..and stunts like this certainly succeed in doing that.

I just question if it actually helps.

13 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

so protest only counts if you put your life at risk?

Greenpeace worked globally and had huge resources they could, and did, call on.

Just stop oil are small and hardly have any funding and have no real connection, apart from what they want, with other similar groups all over the world.

If all those groups joined up and had the funding then I am pretty sure different tactics could, and likely would, be used.

So at the moment you really cannot compare them to Greenpeace.

Just now, LJS said:

so protest only counts if you put your life at risk?

Really, that's what you took from my comment?

But hey, I'll bite. Just Stop Oil constantly tell us that climate change is a LIFE OR DEATH situation. I don't disagree. Like them, and presumably you, I'm depressed with the state of current politics and our government's inability to deal with the self-imposed catastrophes coming down the road. But thinking that hitting soft cultural targets for social media likes is going to push the argument forward is an insufferable waste of everyone's time when there are plenty more appropriate targets and actions to be considered.

3 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

But hey, I'll bite. Just Stop Oil constantly tell us that climate change is a LIFE OR DEATH situation. I don't disagree. Like them, and presumably you, I'm depressed with the state of current politics and our government's inability to deal with the self-imposed catastrophes coming down the road. But thinking that hitting soft cultural targets for social media likes is going to push the argument forward is an insufferable waste of everyone's time when there are plenty more appropriate targets and actions to be considered.

Well it certainly seems to be wasting the time of our political leaders who have been remarkably prompt and forthright in their almost co-ordinated condemnation of a fairly trivial act of protest which puts not one life at risk & causes no permanent damage to anything.

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Just stop oil are small and hardly have any funding and have no real connection, apart from what they want, with other similar groups all over the world.

If all those groups joined up and had the funding then I am pretty sure different tactics could, and likely would, be used.

No excuse in the days of the internet/social media for claiming that you have an inability to form connections with other protest groups around the globe.

Like stevie says above, the strategy is to get attention at all costs, which just reeks of toddler tantrums, hence my comment about the more adult like activism of the past.

2 minutes ago, LJS said:

Well it certainly seems to be wasting the time of our political leaders who have been remarkably prompt and forthright in their almost co-ordinated condemnation of a fairly trivial act of protest which puts not one life at risk & causes no permanent damage to anything.

Do you think that this strategy is working for them and likely to attract the groundswell of support that presumably they want? Nobody Interesting doesn't seem to think so given he's pointing out how isolated and short of funds they are.

They've been pulling these stunts for a few years now and I don't see any evidence that it's making the slightest bit of difference, happy to be shown wrong if I've missed evidence to the contrary.

22 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Could almost have the opposite effect...seeing anti green stuff on rise here and abroad...and this sort of stuff probably feeds into it.

2 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Do you think that this strategy is working for them and likely to attract the groundswell of support that presumably they want? Nobody Interesting doesn't seem to think so given he's pointing out how isolated and short of funds they are.

They've been pulling these stunts for a few years now and I don't see any evidence that it's making the slightest bit of difference, happy to be shown wrong if I've missed evidence to the contrary.

Very few protests make any difference - i have been to marches and rallies in support of the miners, against Thatcher, against nuclear weapons, Against the Iraq war, pro Scottish Independence, anti-Brexit and probably a few more that I have forgotten. None of them have made the slightest difference. I don't imagine the Neolithic Flour Bombers will make any difference either. 

I can certainly understand the frustration of people who feel angry and frustrated at the general level of apathy towards the climate crisis.