UK Politics

kalifire

5 minutes ago, LJS said:

Very few protests make any difference - i have been to marches and rallies in support of the miners, against Thatcher, against nuclear weapons, Against the Iraq war, pro Scottish Independence, anti-Brexit and probably a few more that I have forgotten. None of them have made the slightest difference. I don't imagine the Neolithic Flour Bombers will make any difference either. 

I can certainly understand the frustration of people who feel angry and frustrated at the general level of apathy towards the climate crisis. 

protests are rallies bit different to throwing orange stuff everywhere and f**king everyone off.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

protests are rallies bit different to throwing orange stuff everywhere and f**king everyone off.

they're not f**cking me off.

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

As an old smelly hippy protestor from the days of the stonehenge free festival, Just Stop Oil can f**k off with their stupid childish stunts.

How much did you achieve?

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

How far gone are you if ’throwing orange stuff everywhere’ or sittning on a road makes you this mad. Unbelievable.

I mean tories have watered down some of their green commitments, as have labour, and reform want to bin it altogether. Europe has a big anti net zero movement, and if Trump gets in...

So, maybe there does need to be more protest, but it doesn't look like a mass movement when a few students throw some orange powder, it just looks like a few students throwing orange powder.

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

No excuse in the days of the internet/social media for claiming that you have an inability to form connections with other protest groups around the globe.

Like stevie says above, the strategy is to get attention at all costs, which just reeks of toddler tantrums, hence my comment about the more adult like activism of the past.

They have connections but are separate groups - and have little or no funding so have no aboiolity to do what Green peace did so well.

18 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

How much did you achieve?

Rude.

Perhaps very little, but what's your point? My comparator was Greenpeace, whose heroics I remain in awe of and who certainly did achieve sh*t and arguably wouldn't have done so if they'd have spent their time throwing sea water on land at utterly-unrelated-whaler-things.

22 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

How far gone are you if ’throwing orange stuff everywhere’ or sittning on a road makes you this mad.

Not mad, just critical. Do you see a difference? Is it not useful to reflect on what strategies might work and what smacks of being infiltrated to undermine your central message?

I doubt it really bothers anyone on here directly, but it does play into a sh*tty narrative that politicians clearly are using to their advantage to appeal to the people who it does "bother." 

Not sure what the alternative is though. 

I doubt it really bothers anyone on here directly, but it does play into a sh*tty narrative that politicians clearly are using to their advantage to appeal to the people who it does "bother." 

Just now, cellar said:

They tried the alternative - a 4 day peaceful and non disruptive protest in and around Parliament Square.

No media attention, no nothing.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

They tried the alternative - a 4 day peaceful and non disruptive protest in and around Parliament Square.

No media attention, no nothing.

Yeah its pretty depressing isn't it? The only ones that will get media attention though are the ones that annoy people. People don't want to think they actually might have a point.

13 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and have little or no funding so have no aboiolity to do what Green peace did so well.

I'm confused by your argument, you do realise Greenpeace started as a small bunch of activists in a back office room? I thought their early money came from local benefits in Canada.

In the end governments have been set targets through the COP things. It isn't easy to transition away from fossil fuels over night, it takes investment, some disruption, some sacrifice and some will. The main target for us is net zero in 2050. The only thing that populations can do is vote, or protest, or revolt. They may want change to happen quicker, or they might not like the change. None of this is easy, and obviously telling people that if they don't do this the world will one day be f**ked isn't working because governments and parties keep telling their populations about the economic or security benefits of it, they hardly mention the climate. Maybe this will change as the climate becomes more extreme, but not sure we're quite there yet (although don't think we're far away). 

8 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

I'm confused by your argument, you do realise Greenpeace started as a small bunch of activists in a back office room? I thought their early money came from local benefits in Canada.

you see that recent Greenpeace and Putin doc on bbc?