UK Politics

kalifire

4 hours ago, Neil said:

yes, that, a year or two back the council tried to move some on who were parked up near me, and the people on the street got a petition together telling the council to let them stay, this is about Clifton money working to pressure the greens.

(they made a big play about not being the plaything of big money and the first thing they do is to favour big money; pressure that president_marv resisted.)

I don't think it's great, but also, as Nobody says, the order was obtained under the old council.

Wrt Marvin, he used excess powers to overrule the only unanimous vote Bristol council has ever done (re the arena), which just so happened to then lead to selling off council property to a Malaysian development company he then did consultancy work for.... Absolute coincidence and I'm sure nothing to do with big money or anything dodgy in the slightest.

He also sided with the skinheads over BLM, stole Bristol's drainage fund to "expense" personal flights to fly around the world talking about solving the climate, and perpetuated a load of safety failings and mates' rates mooring fees for various businesses around the Harbourside.

In all honesty, while I'll be voting Green this election, I'm still reluctant to call myself a "green supporter". I feel that Labour is my natural home and that I've been as abandoned by the party under Starmer as I was under Corbyn.

I just think that the local councillors in Bristol Labour are being petty and tribal about getting backlash for supporting Marvin, when frankly they deserve it. Bear in mind that he's publicly clashed with Dan Norris, who is the region's Labour metro mayor, and has now taken a cushy honorary professor role at Bristol Uni, where they're literally said they're giving it to him for his contact/connections list made on his "climate conferences".

The Greens may well f**k up, I'm not feeling particularly partisan here, but Labour f**ked up enough that it's right for someone else to get a chance, and I'd much prefer the Greens get said chance than someone else. I'm aware of how much they messed up in Brighton with the Green-led council and Caroline Lucas having public arguments, failings on the bins/recycling, etc. If they do screw up in Bristol (with a minority in a committee btw, they're just the largest party), then it'll be hard for them to shake an incompetency tag for at least a generation, but I'm fine giving them that chance right now.

11 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Do we have a word for the opposite of virtue signalling?

The tendency of certain politicians to leap on the opportunity to stick the boot in to ordinary folks doing something daft but basically harmless to curry favour with the worst people.

Look! I’m a hysterically angry and hateful middle aged english bloke too, vote for me!

Rage responding?

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Wrt Marvin, he used excess powers to overrule the only unanimous vote Bristol council has ever done (re the arena), which just so happened to then lead to selling off council property to a Malaysian development company he then did consultancy work for.... Absolute coincidence and I'm sure nothing to do with big money or anything dodgy in the slightest.

2we all know marv was corrupt as f**k which is why we voted to abolish him.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

2 weeks to go. Predictions?

I don't think Labour will do as well and tories do as badly as some of the polls are suggesting. Labour to win by about 100 seats. Lib Dems pick up about 50 seats. Reform a few, Greens a few.

Labour majority of 197
Tories 2nd
Lib Dems 54
SNP 27
Greens 3
Reform 2

9 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I don't think it's great, but also, as Nobody says, the order was obtained under the old council.

He also sided with the skinheads over BLM, stole Bristol's drainage fund to "expense" personal flights to fly around the world talking about solving the climate, and perpetuated a load of safety failings and mates' rates mooring fees for various businesses around the Harbourside.

In all honesty, while I'll be voting Green this election, I'm still reluctant to call myself a "green supporter". I feel that Labour is my natural home and that I've been as abandoned by the party under Starmer as I was under Corbyn.

I just think that the local councillors in Bristol Labour are being petty and tribal about getting backlash for supporting Marvin, when frankly they deserve it. Bear in mind that he's publicly clashed with Dan Norris, who is the region's Labour metro mayor, and has now taken a cushy honorary professor role at Bristol Uni, where they're literally said they're giving it to him for his contact/connections list made on his "climate conferences".

The Greens may well f**k up, I'm not feeling particularly partisan here, but Labour f**ked up enough that it's right for someone else to get a chance, and I'd much prefer the Greens get said chance than someone else. I'm aware of how much they messed up in Brighton with the Green-led council and Caroline Lucas having public arguments, failings on the bins/recycling, etc. If they do screw up in Bristol (with a minority in a committee btw, they're just the largest party), then it'll be hard for them to shake an incompetency tag for at least a generation, but I'm fine giving them that chance right now.

One thing is certain though, the Greens did not make anyone homeless which is why I responded in the first place as that is what was said they had done by the person who started the ball rolling.

Just now, steviewevie said:

Farage is going to get us out of the world economic forum. 🤔

It scares me to say this but - good.....................

The WEF is just a rich boys club where rich people influence governments and policy. It, from what I can see, serves no purpose for the common good and to help the less fortunate apart from pretty words that are never followed by actions.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It scares me to say this but - good.....................

The WEF is just a rich boys club where rich people influence governments and policy. It, from what I can see, serves no purpose for the common good and to help the less fortunate apart from pretty words that are never followed by actions.

yes, except we're not a member.

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Well colour me learned - I never knew that and thought we were cos we attend every year.

Well in that case Farage is a numpty cos he should know................. shouldn't he?

tbf most political leaders are signed up to it, I'm sure they do have some influence, but britain isn't a member.