UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

first he has to become a tory MP, then he has to be voted for by tory MPs.

I still can't see it happening. I think bigger chance of Johnson coming back in a few years.

You would think it would be hard for him to get Tory membership. Why would those in influence let him in. Also I would assume if there is a vacancy it will mean most of his allies in the Tory party are gone.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

You would think it would be hard for him to get Tory membership. Why would those in influence let him in. Also I would assume if there is a vacancy it will mean most of his allies in the Tory party are gone.

I mean, it is difficult for them...their vote is split. They could go further to right, but then lose more of the centristy liberal tories...and visa versa. They need PR.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...who knows. The populist right is doing well in lots of places...look at France, Italy and Germany (actually AfD aren't really populist, they're just hard right). Look at Trump in US. So it isn't impossible that we will end up with Farage as leader of the Tories, and then in 2029 when things are sh*t and everyone hates Starmer...suddenly we could be looking at the prospect of him becoming PM.

Personally I think it is a lot more unlikely than likely. He'll probably win his seat but will just end up being ignored on the back seats along with Galloway and Corbyn. Problem is though the media love Farage...so he could end up being in the news a lot. I just don't think moderate Tories will let him in. I can imagine a move to Bring Back Boris.

Have you seen this media in the last few days? Zero love on show.

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The Tories are not daft and they see how Farage is oddly popular and all they care about is being in power and see him as that chance of it being sooner rather than later. Truss and Braverman have already been courting him in public so likely even more so behind the scenes.

Braverman is not popular at all and the party knows she would likely not win an election - and for all too many members she is the wrong colour anyway whereas Farage is the right colour for them.

Puce?

45 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Have you seen this media in the last few days? Zero love on show.

The daily mail is really megative about farage at the moment. I saw a report that if reform drops from 15% to 5% then the labour majority drops to 18

Just now, lazyred said:

The daily mail is really megative about farage at the moment. I saw a report that if reform drops from 15% to 5% then the labour majority drops to 18

I have seen reports like that but most are from right wing places making up numbers to try and scare Tories.

The whole media seems to be starting/is doing a Corbyn style take down on Farage at the moment............... which tells me they are scared of him. Not sure why cos he really is one of them!

53 minutes ago, lazyred said:

and the report 'presumes' 95% of Reform voters will vote Tory - which they won't.

56 minutes ago, lazyred said:

I don't know...the labour lead has been about 20 for ages no matter what is going on with reform. Plus, 18 is still a pretty healthy lead.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer has finally answered the corbyn question.

He liked him then because it suited him and now he doesn't because it suits him.

and if that question is the best the right has then no wonder they are toast. 

Quite frankly, who cares what he said during an election campaign then. Maybe he should have had a bet on Labour losing then and that would have been OK.

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

first he has to become a tory MP, then he has to be voted for by tory MPs.

I still can't see it happening. I think bigger chance of Johnson coming back in a few years.

He'll become an MP and then join the Tory party.

The revolution Will not be televised because there will be no revolution.

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...who knows. The populist right is doing well in lots of places...look at France, Italy and Germany (actually AfD aren't really populist, they're just hard right). Look at Trump in US. So it isn't impossible that we will end up with Farage as leader of the Tories, and then in 2029 when things are sh*t and everyone hates Starmer...suddenly we could be looking at the prospect of him becoming PM.

Personally I think it is a lot more unlikely than likely. He'll probably win his seat but will just end up being ignored on the back seats along with Galloway and Corbyn. Problem is though the media love Farage...so he could end up being in the news a lot. I just don't think moderate Tories will let him in. I can imagine a move to Bring Back Boris.

Is Galloway still predicted to win in a GE then?  TBH I'd assumed that was a by election blip.

22 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Is Galloway still predicted to win in a GE then?  TBH I'd assumed that was a by election blip.

actually...no idea. Is Corbyn? There isn't much polling done at a local level so who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if Galloway won, I think Labour has lost a lot of the muslim vote.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

actually...no idea. Is Corbyn? There isn't much polling done at a local level so who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if Galloway won, I think Labour has lost a lot of the muslim vote.

Last time I checked the odds the bookies basically had it as a toss up. I think the labour left would paint a Corbyn victory as getting one over Starmer. I honestly don’t think Starmer would care, his calculation is it’s worth losing the seat to distance himself from Jez.