UK Politics

kalifire

15 hours ago, zahidf said:

"NEW: The governing body of the doctors’ union - the BMA - will vote tomorrow on a motion to ‘disavow’ the Cass Review into the care provided to gender-questioning children and young people.

Report here

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2024/07/why-are-british-doctors-voting-to-reject-the-cass-report

The Cass Review was accepted by the Royal Colleges of GPs and of Psychiatrists and the Association of Clinical Phycologists. The BMA consultants conference welcomed the interim report. 

King's speech today...expect there will be a few surprises, arms embargo and sanctions on Israel and the recognition of Palestinian state, scrapping the 2 child benefit cap, stop all oil and gas extraction, Proportional representation, abolish house of lords, abolish the monarchy. Stuff like that.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

King's speech today...expect there will be a few surprises, arms embargo and sanctions on Israel and the recognition of Palestinian state, scrapping the 2 child benefit cap, stop all oil and gas extraction, Proportional representation, abolish house of lords, abolish the monarchy. Stuff like that.

This place so needs a laughing reaction thingy

The crown the King will wear today is estimated to be worth around £400 million.

While he wears it we will hear announcements to help children out of poverty that will be funded by far less than that but will need 'difficult choices' to be able to fund.

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Despite being a Green voter I have to say I am disappointed in this cos we have to build things somewhere but he really could come out and make  afar noisier arguement for the alternative of setting up offshore grid stations which is a good idea (cheaper than the pylons etc) but rarely mentioned. Burying the cables is vastly expensive and wrecks the landscape more than erecting pylons.

Still, given we need the grid sorted to carry all the electricity to meet Labour's pledge for 100% green elec by 2030 this and other naysayer campaigns will give them a good excuse for failing to meet that pledge - which they will fail to meet.

Still, the UK will not be alone in failing to meet targets, pretty much the whole of the 'rich world' will fail whilst China succeeds and makes us all look more stupid.

I said that while I was voting Green locally I distrusted the party nationally as I suspected they'd be pro-NIMBY in a lot of places - even though they haven't really been so in Bristol for a while. It's also why that for all my disillusionment with Labour, I can't ever envisage myself joining/campaigning for the Greens.

I'm very glad Ed Miliband has taken "vital infrastructure" out of local planning control as the biggest anti-NIMBY move since before the green belt was introduced.

56 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I said that while I was voting Green locally I distrusted the party nationally as I suspected they'd be pro-NIMBY in a lot of places - even though they haven't really been so in Bristol for a while. It's also why that for all my disillusionment with Labour, I can't ever envisage myself joining/campaigning for the Greens.

I'm very glad Ed Miliband has taken "vital infrastructure" out of local planning control as the biggest anti-NIMBY move since before the green belt was introduced.

In Wales Bute Energy want to put in pylons and turbines. The former Tory joined the anti campaign despite her national party backing it. The Lib Dem to won avoided all discussion on the subject and Labour opposed it too. The Greens supported it and Reform were, well, Reform.

I wish Labour all the best with their plans but what will they do once the first Uxbridge style by-election comes along and they lose a safeish seat?

The way I look at it all is that if the telephone was just invented people would protest against telegraph poles going up everywhere, if cars were new they would protest against roads being built - basically those who do not like new stuff being built will always campaign against it mostly without offering any sensible alternative - at least the Green MP says he backs offshore grid structures as an alternative and some energy companies do too - as they re quicker an cheaper to build.

But Labour won't succeed in their 2030 pledge regardless of what bills they put through cos they just won't due to so so many reasons and NIMBYism is just one

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Nothing in King's speech about lowering voting age to 16...maybe they've cottoned on that they're actually nasty little fascists until they get to 18 and become all liberal and woke..

Not really an urgent thing to do so can easily be stuck in a KS in 3 years time.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

In Wales Bute Energy want to put in pylons and turbines. The former Tory joined the anti campaign despite her national party backing it. The Lib Dem to won avoided all discussion on the subject and Labour opposed it too. The Greens supported it and Reform were, well, Reform.

I wish Labour all the best with their plans but what will they do once the first Uxbridge style by-election comes along and they lose a safeish seat?

The way I look at it all is that if the telephone was just invented people would protest against telegraph poles going up everywhere, if cars were new they would protest against roads being built - basically those who do not like new stuff being built will always campaign against it mostly without offering any sensible alternative - at least the Green MP says he backs offshore grid structures as an alternative and some energy companies do too - as they re quicker an cheaper to build.

But Labour won't succeed in their 2030 pledge regardless of what bills they put through cos they just won't due to so so many reasons and NIMBYism is just one

This is my concern really, when progressive Green policies are stopped by local "Green" NIMBYism. The issue is priorities, and like with other politicians, Greens' priority is their own seat/career. It shouldn't come as a surprise, just another reminder that it's naive to hope for anything better.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

This is my concern really, when progressive Green policies are stopped by local "Green" NIMBYism. The issue is priorities, and like with other politicians, Greens' priority is their own seat/career. It shouldn't come as a surprise, just another reminder that it's naive to hope for anything better.

that's why they've got to build like f**king mad bastards all over that green and pleasant land asap 

12 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Which is one reason why I do not think the cinstiuancy system we have works as local selfish things override the national good.

16 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Which is one reason why I do not think the cinstiuancy system we have works as local selfish things override the national good.

I don't know, it's a balance. Need MPs to listen and fight for their constituencies in parliament, that's how it works...but in this case it just shows the contradictions within the Green party.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know, it's a balance. Need MPs to listen and fight for their constituencies in parliament, that's how it works...but in this case it just shows the contradictions within the Green party.

How about those whose constituency MP is:

The PM
The Chancellor
The Speaker
The Home Secretary

etc etc

All of whom do not do constituency work?

48 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Cos it is widely known they don't. They have allownaces to hire extra staff to cover their constituency work and the speaker does not do anything outside of being speaker.

they still do the surgery things, but just not as often...