UK Politics

kalifire

11 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

There’s been a ‘protest’ at the Potter hotel between Aldershot, Farnborough and Fleet - @Neil will know it - with people vowing to “protect our kids from the immigrants”. Genuinely saw someone blaming the winter fuel allowance…

potter sucking up govt money, who'd have thought it?

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

what time do they need to leave if they live in the highlands, Scottish islands or Northern Ireland?

I do love it how you and others fixate on this rather than actually talking about what sacrifices MP's could make - it's almost like people just accept that they 'deserve' it all and are happy for them to never have to cut back on anything while we all do.

17 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I do love it how you and others fixate on this rather than actually talking about what sacrifices MP's could make - it's almost like people just accept that they 'deserve' it all and are happy for them to never have to cut back on anything while we all do.

I guess they could make them take the bus.

I think they probably do and we don't need the standard of politicans getting any worse than it is. To pick 3 MP's from each party, Chuka Umunna, Nick Clegg and Sadiq Javid are probably all earning considerably more in the private sector. I don't think I'd do the job for the pay it has.

£90k is probably HR manager at a mid-sized company in London and you don't have to put up with threats on twitter.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess they could make them take the bus.

I find it most amusing how from your reply to my original post this entire conversation has been about just one small part of what I wrote, taken in isolation and out of context - because you just quoted that one small part ignoring the rest.

My post was about how and why MP's should set an example - the thing you called stupid and childish not about travelling from Scotland and even in my first reply to that the reference to Zoom that worked well was immediately removed from quoted replies.

It is almost like there is an agenda and manipulating what was said to feed others a different message is what was intended.

That is how social media works I suppose and how the current state of affairs across the UK has come about. Manipulation of a message to set an agenda, something sadly the right wing are really good at it seems given what has happened over the last 2 nights.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I find it most amusing how from your reply to my original post this entire conversation has been about just one small part of what I wrote, taken in isolation and out of context - because you just quoted that one small part ignoring the rest.

My post was about how and why MP's should set an example - the thing you called stupid and childish not about travelling from Scotland and even in my first reply to that the reference to Zoom that worked well was immediately removed from quoted replies.

It is almost like there is an agenda and manipulating what was said to feed others a different message is what was intended.

That is how social media works I suppose and how the current state of affairs across the UK has come about. Manipulation of a message to set an agenda, something sadly the right wing are really good at it seems given what has happened over the last 2 nights.

I don't think people are selectively quoting one bit because of a right wing manipulative agenda. I think it's because that one bit was silly and it's amusing.

5 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I don't think people are selectively quoting one bit because of a right wing manipulative agenda. I think it's because that one bit was silly and it's amusing.

I did not say that was what they were doing, that part was about what has happened over the last 2 nights in Southport etc.

If you cared to look back to my original post you would see how the context was altered by quoting just one small part an thus the conversation bout travel from  Scotland began.

Context matters and I did put context in the post you replied to but you connected the two parts which were not connected.

16 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I did not say that was what they were doing, that part was about what has happened over the last 2 nights in Southport etc.

If you cared to look back to my original post you would see how the context was altered by quoting just one small part an thus the conversation bout travel from  Scotland began.

Context matters and I did put context in the post you replied to but you connected the two parts which were not connected.

We can all see the post lol. What you said was dumb. Just admit it and move on instead of crying about being selectively quoted as per. 

35 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

You were asked if a MP in Glasgow can commute to Westminster every day, and your reply started with "Yes".

That's a bit silly, and people are pointing out that's silly. All the context/nuance doesn't erase the fact that was silly.

being nice, I guess the point was MPs are not facing what those poorer pensioners who lose out on this means tested benefit. Kind of chalk and cheese, and it isn't MPs making these decisions it is the government, and Reeves is trying to juggle with who gets what piece of the pie. So maybe they could increase the credit threshold, and find a way to get those not claiming these credits to do so. I don't like the austerity like language coming from Reeves, but that seems to be what they do in the treasury, and incoming governments always blame the last one for difficult decisions. But still, decisions like this pensioner benefit, social cap, infrastructure project cancellations and public sector pay rise are all her choices, and we'll just have to see how plays out. Budget in autumn could be a biggie.

I think the system of MP's expenses is open to all sorts of abuse and should be reviewed.  That does not mean MP's who live hundreds of miles from London should be required to commute.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It was you who talked about it as an option. My in laws live in Thurso (highlands) and having done the journey I would say it’s impossible to live there and commute to London. We always split in 2 days and we are only doing for leisure. I also disagree zoom is the way to go, hybrid working has its place but I still think that in person contact is vital.

For all the talk about MP being a cushy job, I wouldn’t do it for that salary, seems like a hellish job to me. I’m sure that there are sacrifices they could make, but think the ones you are suggesting are the wrong ones.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

You were asked if a MP in Glasgow can commute to Westminster every day, and your reply started with "Yes".

That's a bit silly, and people are pointing out that's silly. All the context/nuance doesn't erase the fact that was silly.

You did not look back at my post to which that was the reply - that reply quoted just one small part of my original post and took it out of context.

If you are going to call people silly please make sure you look at the whole picture and not just one small part.

I note you ignored the part at the end of my reply about hat I wrote. I shall take this to mean you were wrong in how you read the post.

1 hour ago, LJS said:

I think the system of MP's expenses is open to all sorts of abuse and should be reviewed.  That does not mean MP's who live hundreds of miles from London should be required to commute.

Which is why I said at the start they ought to return to using zoom but that part was left out the quotes used by others and thus my original context was lost.

28 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It was you who talked about it as an option. My in laws live in Thurso (highlands) and having done the journey I would say it’s impossible to live there and commute to London. We always split in 2 days and we are only doing for leisure. I also disagree zoom is the way to go, hybrid working has its place but I still think that in person contact is vital.

For all the talk about MP being a cushy job, I wouldn’t do it for that salary, seems like a hellish job to me. I’m sure that there are sacrifices they could make, but think the ones you are suggesting are the wrong ones.

It was me who also said they ought to return to using zoom in my original post - that part was not quoted and thus as I keep saying the context was lost.

I also note that still only one other poster has suggested that yes expenses etc ought to be looked at.

The rest seem to ignore that part, which is what my first post was all about, and it makes it seem you are all quite happy with how their expenses work at the tax payers expense.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Any way, interest rates have been cut. Good job Sir Keir.

and the value of the pound has been falling all week, down 3%, as a result of this cut coming and so anythi g we deal with in USD will now cost more. Good job capitalism

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

You did not look back at my post to which that was the reply - that reply quoted just one small part of my original post and took it out of context.

If you are going to call people silly please make sure you look at the whole picture and not just one small part.

I note you ignored the part at the end of my reply about hat I wrote. I shall take this to mean you were wrong in how you read the post.

I'm going to call the suggestion that anyone should commute from Glasgow to London silly. Calling what someone says silly is not the same as calling the person silly.

Zoom meetings are not reliable, and a lot of parliamentary business/work gets done in chats and small discussions around/outside the direct debates. While I do think we should look for solutions to modernise parliament, and that MP's expenses often do get into the ridiculous, I don't think MPs whose constituencies are a long distance from Westminster should have to commute.

Also, you keep telling me and others how we're thinking/reading things, that's a lot ruder than taking a suggestion you actually made literally.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

There’s been a ‘protest’ at the Potter hotel between Aldershot, Farnborough and Fleet - @Neil will know it - with people vowing to “protect our kids from the immigrants”. Genuinely saw someone blaming the winter fuel allowance…

according to my googling it wasn't potters it was flats opposite queens hotel!

53 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Any way, interest rates have been cut. Good job Sir Keir.

only thing kier had to do was to not be lizz truss.

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

according to my googling it wasn't potters it was flats opposite queens hotel!

Potter is dead now but not sure if he has family who took over.

The main one was definitely there as people on my estate’s community board were kicking off about not being able to get home (and the police being heavy handed/how disgusting it is we’re looking after “illegals” when we’re being so evil to pensioners etc - I don’t think they know how the world works).

55 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'm going to call the suggestion that anyone should commute from Glasgow to London silly. Calling what someone says silly is not the same as calling the person silly.

Zoom meetings are not reliable, and a lot of parliamentary business/work gets done in chats and small discussions around/outside the direct debates. While I do think we should look for solutions to modernise parliament, and that MP's expenses often do get into the ridiculous, I don't think MPs whose constituencies are a long distance from Westminster should have to commute.

Also, you keep telling me and others how we're thinking/reading things, that's a lot ruder than taking a suggestion you actually made literally.

I keep pointing out that this entire conversation grew from one person quoting what I wrote but then removing 90% of it and thus changing the context.

That is entirely different to what you said above which is in bold.

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I keep pointing out that this entire conversation grew from one person quoting what I wrote but then removing 90% of it and thus changing the context.

It didn't change the context. You directly answered a question. And the answer was dumb.

23 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Politicians get 100% of their fuel bills paid for by the tax payer. An MP's salary is now over £91,000 a year.

Just one example of other peolpe's lives, many more are available:

"

Laura Marcus, 68, lives with her husband John, 73, who has Parkinson's disease.

She could not sleep after hearing about the changes to fuel payments, which she described as "a terrible blow".

"I've been doing my budgeting from now until the end of the year, as [like] a lot of people on very low incomes, we have to juggle every single penny. I assumed this money would be coming in, it's like having it ripped out of your purse," she says.

The couple both worked for 50 years, but for much of that time they were self-employed, so now live on a relatively small pension, plus an attendance allowance because of John's condition.

They live in Leek in the Peak District, which Laura says can be particularly wet and cold, but cannot turn down the heating because of her husband's illness.

"I just don't know what to do. I've been cancelling everything I can think of, every subscription, charity, payment, but I can't make up the shortfall," she says. "The only thing I can cut now is food. We will have to have beans on toast two or three times a week instead of a proper meal."

Morgan Vine, head of policy at Independent Age, says the charity is particularly concerned about pensioners who will narrowly miss out on the payment.

“The chancellor’s announcement to end the winter fuel payment for those not receiving pension credit risks driving hundreds of thousands of older people into further financial hardship," she says.

"That’s hundreds of thousands more older people having to skip meals and not use their heating, living with extreme anxiety about how they will make ends meet.""

Is it not about time that MP's led by example and paid their own way and are not funded by the tax payer as 'we have no money'?

23 hours ago, steviewevie said:

you mean they can claim it on expenses for their accommodation in London if they're not London MPs?

Here is my original and full post alongside the quote of just part of it.

If you look at the last line of what I posted which was deleted from the quote and thus changes the entire context of what then followed as the point was about them paying their own way.

Call me silly, call me dumb (though someone who throws the word Woke around as an insult and also could not care less about pensioners according to one of their recent posts is not someone I take any real notice of) call me anything, I know what I wrote and I know the main point of it was removed on the quote and so lost from all future replies.

Still, who needs context when you can manipulate a situation.

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Here is my original and full post alongside the quote of just part of it.

If you look at the last line of what I posted which was deleted from the quote and thus changes the entire context of what then followed as the point was about them paying their own way.

Call me silly, call me dumb (though someone who throws the word Woke around as an insult and also could not care less about pensioners according to one of their recent posts is not someone I take any real notice of) call me anything, I know what I wrote and I know the main point of it was removed on the quote and so lost from all future replies.

Still, who needs context when you can manipulate a situation.

what the frick are you on about?