UK Politics

kalifire

32 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Still, who needs context when you can manipulate a situation.

Just to be completely clear, I'm not saying this as a moderator, I'm just saying this as a human being posting here:

I think you're getting overly aggravated by this forum and reading worse intentions from people than they're actually trying. Maybe it's not affecting you, but I think you could probably use a break from here. If you're assuming the worst of everyone around you in a space, it's probably good to take a break from that space.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Potter is dead now but not sure if he has family who took over.

The main one was definitely there as people on my estate’s community board were kicking off about not being able to get home (and the police being heavy handed/how disgusting it is we’re looking after “illegals” when we’re being so evil to pensioners etc - I don’t think they know how the world works).

Been trying to remember what was on that site before potter. Was it the inter services cricket club? I remember it being something quite posh.

5 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It was me who also said they ought to return to using zoom in my original post - that part was not quoted and thus as I keep saying the context was lost.

I also note that still only one other poster has suggested that yes expenses etc ought to be looked at.

The rest seem to ignore that part, which is what my first post was all about, and it makes it seem you are all quite happy with how their expenses work at the tax payers expense.

I think moving to zoom would be a big mistake. It had its place in the pandemic, but I think those informal conversation that don’t happen in virtual meetings would be damaging.

15 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think moving to zoom would be a big mistake. It had its place in the pandemic, but I think those informal conversation that don’t happen in virtual meetings would be damaging.

especially if it's just to save a few quid.

19 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

though someone who throws the word Woke around as an insult and also could not care less about pensioners according to one of their recent posts is not someone I take any real notice of

presumably this is aimed at me. Tbh I don't remember using the word woke but re the pensioners thing: 

just cause I don't believe everything needs to be universal (especially for pensioners who are often very wealthy) does not mean I do not care about poorer pensioners 

Pensioner does not equal poor. It isn't the 70s anymore

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Its interesting at the end where ha talks about how much extra people would pay. The people happy to pay more tax for the NHS say an extra £100 a year - £2 per week -  is their limit.

Today's Times reports on Labour analysis of their  election win.  These are the people they want to keep on side.

Ministers were presented with the data that defines their mandate and party strategists introduced them to the people who put them in government. They heard that Starmer’s Britons are Leave voters in marginal seats, more often than not young families whose middle incomes are spent on mortgages. In 2019 this sort of person tended to vote Tory. In 2024 they didn’t, so Starmer won.

Nationally, one in nine Tory voters switched to Labour, and in marginal seats that number rose to one in four. It might have been higher still had it not been for a late drop in the polls, which Starmer’s inner circle put down to Tory switchers backing Reform over Labour, a late surge for the Greens and millions of tactical votes for the Liberal Democrats.

Ministers were also told that the best predictor of whether a 2019 Tory was willing to vote Labour was whether they said Starmer had changed the Labour Party and shared their values, not least patriotism and prudence. They trusted that the Labour leader would not tank the economy or jeopardise national security, and now want him to focus on the NHS and improving living standards.

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

Today's Times reports on Labour analysis of their  election win.  These are the people they want to keep on side.

Ministers were presented with the data that defines their mandate and party strategists introduced them to the people who put them in government. They heard that Starmer’s Britons are Leave voters in marginal seats, more often than not young families whose middle incomes are spent on mortgages. In 2019 this sort of person tended to vote Tory. In 2024 they didn’t, so Starmer won.

Nationally, one in nine Tory voters switched to Labour, and in marginal seats that number rose to one in four. It might have been higher still had it not been for a late drop in the polls, which Starmer’s inner circle put down to Tory switchers backing Reform over Labour, a late surge for the Greens and millions of tactical votes for the Liberal Democrats.

Ministers were also told that the best predictor of whether a 2019 Tory was willing to vote Labour was whether they said Starmer had changed the Labour Party and shared their values, not least patriotism and prudence. They trusted that the Labour leader would not tank the economy or jeopardise national security, and now want him to focus on the NHS and improving living standards.

patriotism and prudence.

🤮

2 hours ago, lazyred said:

...and if Labour fail...what then?

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

This has been a week that just makes me think Twitter is f**king finished.

I hope not the Glastonbury accounts on there are great , how on earth they manage to clean it up again who knows ? musk is surely out to break it completely .... Id suggest Tim Davie might be doing the same with the BBC also 

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

lets hoper fake tommy is the first arrested, i wonder if mr Irish immigrant family was asking for the Irish to be sent home in the 70s.

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Just talking to my mum about Southport. She had nothing but contempt for the rioters. f**king hell, when your far right f**kwits attacking a mosque have managed to alienate my mum then they've really f**ked up.

talking of f**king up, they plan a demo in bristol tomorrow, bristol will stand up. 🙂 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

he has f**ked off to another country...kind of ironic. He is a major prick and needs locking up.

he needs "sending home', particularly as he doesn't like immigrants with a geographic link to terrorism.

Apparently up to 35 far right demonstrations are planned for tomorrow, across the UK. It's a shame there's nothing on TV to distract them from attending, like Teletubbies, or The Jim Davidson Show.