UK Politics

kalifire

Dear Lib Dems

There are far more important things to deal with than giving someone who just made thousands of millions of USD in proifit some award cos you think she helped the UK economy a bit.

It may surprise you to learn that the young people would have spent the money on something else anyway - cos young people like spending money.

"The Lib Dems are set to table a motion in the House of Commons, welcoming the contribution of the Eras Tour to the UK economy."

10 hours ago, LJS said:

anyone else think this Labour Government is turning out to be a bit Tory?

In all honesty, I'm going to wait for the Budget before making any sweeping statements. I think it's pretty early doors to pass real judgement.

I do think that rhetorically, they're to the right of Blair, which... is not where I want my Labour government (or any govt) to be. However the country was in a much better state in '97 even despite the huge hospital waiting lists.

We do have our government actually governing more in the summer recess, than the last one did in 18m prior to the election, which is a good thing, but it's not exactly inspiring positivity and a sense of refreshing change, just... less corruption and sitting on hands. Still an annoying amount of culture war BS though.

38 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I do think that rhetorically, they're to the right of Blair, which... is not where I want my Labour government (or any govt) to be. However the country was in a much better state in '97 even despite the huge hospital waiting lists.

to left of Blair in terms on economic policy, to right of Blair on social policy.

(but yeah way too early...could end up like Callaghan's govt...winter of discontent etc...)

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

looks like under 30s could get a bit more free movement within the EU...a positive step...

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It's a start but as someone who is 59 I would quite like my Freedom of Movement back.

I'm 44 and I'd like my free movement back. 

Last time I checked, age was a protected characteristic and you couldn't discriminate against people because of their age. What happened? 

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

I'm 44 and I'd like my free movement back. 

Last time I checked, age was a protected characteristic and you couldn't discriminate against people because of their age. What happened? 

We left the EU after being lied to and now are trying to find ways to make the thing work bit by bit as politicians are even to scared to talk about the mess let alone be honest about how to sort it.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Quite like to go sit on a Spanish beach enjoying 50C temps in my retirement.

I think you can anyway. You can get a retirement visa with an income of €28.800. No healthcare costs either with an S1.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well...looks like govt isn't doing that EU youth mobility scheme after all...not sure wtf they're doing with all that...gets leaked to the press and then they say it isn't happening...twice that's happened now.

Cos despite winning big they are still scared of stuff like this in the media which is what would have happened, and still might.

They need to grow some balls.

2 hours ago, lost said:

I think you can anyway. You can get a retirement visa with an income of €28.800. No healthcare costs either with an S1.

1. You must show a steady income from passive income sources (like pensions, annuities, or investments).
    • Primary Applicant > €28,800 annual income (4 x IPREM)
    • Each Dependent > €7,200 annual income (1 x IPREM)
  2. You can’t work either in Spain or abroad.
  3. You can include direct family members under your application.
  4. You’ll need qualifying private health insurance in Spain; you won’t qualify for public healthcare in Spain.
  5. You must apply for a non-lucrative visa in your home country before you move to Spain.
  6. The non-lucrative visa is a pathway to permanent residency (P.R.), Spanish citizenship, and an E.U. passport.

https://movingtospain.com/retire-in-spain/

I've got neighbours who I think were all set to retire there but haven't since 2016, but don't know if their combined incomes won't meet that or if they wanted the option to ever work again?