UK Politics

kalifire

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

well it does play into it...if the moment of big profits are over then so might be the calls to tax them more...plus wasn't this some tax surcharge thing that went down as corporation tax went up?

Anyway, I am not against taxing banks more because everyone hates fat cat bankers etc..and maybe they will (but I doubt it because profits are down!).

More likely some tweaks to various wealth taxes, maybe reform council taxes..and maybe a change to debt fiscal rule thingy.

There will have to be changes to the debt fiscal rules - like in the USA where they get to the Debt Ceiling and then argue about it before increasing it.................. time and time again. The next one is due soon I think.

Unless current economic models are radically changed and the UK also accepts it needs migrant workers in bulk then in the next 50 years we are lookig at debt to GDP of arpound 200% just to stand still.

I'd be optimistic about prison reform if it happened in 3-8 years. I think Timpson was a great appointment and we vastly need to move away from a system that turns minor offences into people kept on the fringes of society for life. The problem is that overcrowding needs an urgent fix and getting a sensible reform in place will take years.

13 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'd be optimistic about prison reform if it happened in 3-8 years. I think Timpson was a great appointment and we vastly need to move away from a system that turns minor offences into people kept on the fringes of society for life. The problem is that overcrowding needs an urgent fix and getting a sensible reform in place will take years.

To me the UK seems to have been moving to a more USA type system where lock them up and do it for longer seemed to be the way.

It will take a lot to alter society enough to reduce numbers even if Timpson does what you think.

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Council Tax is linked to the value of homes - but just based on something from 1991 I think rather than today's value.

I have no problem with a change as long as those at the top pay an equilvelent amount compared to those in small homes which they do not now.

and double it for those with 2 homes , triple for those with 3 ..... on each house 

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

To me the UK seems to have been moving to a more USA type system where lock them up and do it for longer seemed to be the way.

It will take a lot to alter society enough to reduce numbers even if Timpson does what you think.

also not helped by people on remand having to wait longer for sentencing because of backlog in courts, and people being recalled from parole because probation system broken.

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I listened to his entire live interview earlier. I suggest everyone finds it On I player (BBC News Channel) then perhaps we can all move on and agree that Labour, and everyone, knew..................... and knew very well the financial situation.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

The whole lack of prison places and riots message brings home the mess everything is in.

as long as labour properly pin it on the tories to protect themselves from future claims that they lied about tax rises.

14 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I listened to his entire live interview earlier. I suggest everyone finds it On I player (BBC News Channel) then perhaps we can all move on and agree that Labour, and everyone, knew..................... and knew very well the financial situation.

They didn't know about the black hole unfunded stuff...6bn on hotels for asylum seekers and all reserve used up etc.

But yes whoever won was going to have to put up taxes.

Just now, steviewevie said:

They didn't know about the black hole unfunded stuff...6bn on hotels for asylum seekers and all reserve used up etc.

But yes whoever won was going to have to put up taxes.

Did you listen to it cos if you did you would not have posted that.

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I strongly suggest you listen to the interview today. Things change as new info comes to light.

can't be arsed trawling through bbc news content looking for Paul Johnson, especially when most unavailable.

Sure he wasn't talking about over spending commitments going into the future...not the unfunded stuff from this year?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

can't be arsed trawling through bbc news content looking for Paul Johnson, especially when most unavailable.

Sure he wasn't talking about over spending commitments going into the future...not the unfunded stuff from this year?

He was on for around 12 minutes and talked lots about today's announcment and what Reeves has said vs what was said and known about during the election.
In simple terms there was very little they would not have known about, certainly nothing like £22 billion and that he thought it was about time they were honest about it........................ and how they actually might not need to do anything as the fiscal drag of the theasholds being frozen will sort it all by the end of the next financial year anyway.

but lots more than that.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

But you can be arsed trawling through all sorts of shite to share Elon Musk's thoughts with us?

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

He was on for around 12 minutes and talked lots about today's announcment and what Reeves has said vs what was said and known about during the election.
In simple terms there was very little they would not have known about, certainly nothing like £22 billion and that he thought it was about time they were honest about it........................ and how they actually might not need to do anything as the fiscal drag of the theasholds being frozen will sort it all by the end of the next financial year anyway.

but lots more than that.

it was things like that 6.5bn spending on asylum and the reserve that might have been used for that used up on something else...this is the current spending crisis, not the future spending crisis with a big hole in the finances left by that NI cut.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it was things like that 6.5bn spending on asylum and the reserve that might have been used for that used up on something else...this is the current spending crisis, not the future spending crisis with a big hole in the finances left by that NI cut.

should add that a big part of the 20bn or whatever it was was on the public sector pay award...and they didn't have to do that (but might have gone down badly if they didn't)

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyway, taxes will have to go up...and they ruled out raising taxes on working people so that just leaves pensioners, children and unemployed...and maybe some rich bastards.

Tories probably would have just stuck up income tax.

He defined working people as people that don't have savings so lots of assets to target there. Houses, pension pots , ISA's etc..

I think promising to not reverse those NI cuts will be Labour's biggest mistake (until the next one)...yes it was a trap set by the Tories..but they could have just said so and got experts to back them up and I think/expect/hope that people would have respected their honesty.

Or Tories would have done the Tax Bombshell thing and we ended up with a hung parliament.

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyway, taxes will have to go up...and they ruled out raising taxes on working people so that just leaves pensioners, children and unemployed...and maybe some rich bastards.

Tories probably would have just stuck up income tax.

Yeh, cos they are really sticking to what they said

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think promising to not reverse those NI cuts will be Labour's biggest mistake (until the next one)...yes it was a trap set by the Tories..but they could have just said so and got experts to back them up and I think/expect/hope that people would have respected their honesty.

Or Tories would have done the Tax Bombshell thing and we ended up with a hung parliament.

Which is exactly what I and others said straight away but you argued against LOL