UK Politics

kalifire

19 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

See, I don't smoke and I hate this proposal. I love the ban on indoor smoking, but the phased ban by birth year felt paternalistic, and this feels like the final thing to bring the death knell on hospitality.

The other thing that this'll do, is it'll help the coke dealers. This country already has a HUGE cocaine problem, and by taking away the legal high that people do socially in amidst work drinks/on shift, it'll just perpetuate people doing cocaine instead.

I think this is an incredibly short-sighted policy.

its not cocaine they're taking its mostly the crap it gets mixed with, i'm told there hasn't been any decent coke for 25+ years. people get sent to prison for decades for possession of those mixers.

Edited by Neil

21 minutes ago, Neil said:

its not cocaine they're taking its mostly the crap it gets mixed with, i'm told there hasn't been any decent coke for 25+ years. people get sent to prison for decades for possession of those mixers.

coke..or whatever it is...is just so much more abundant and cheap compared to how it was...was a rich mans drugs when I was a kiddy...everyone was taking speed.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

coke..or whatever it is...is just so much more abundant and cheap compared to how it was...was a rich mans drugs when I was a kiddy...everyone was taking speed.

Yep and those new trade routes out of S.America to Europe are dragging more countries into the crime and violence. Ecuador used to be a tourist haven before the route opened up from there to Belgium/Netherlands.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Apparently Starmer wants to try and change how leader is picked to how it used to be, where just MPs decide.

He'll probably fail, but I actually think both main parties should do this (especially when picking PM).

good idea, member democracy can be braindead as the election of corbyn showed - the members are too stupid to make a good choice.

34 minutes ago, Neil said:

don't fall for this.....

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/aug/31/nhs-queues-mean-most-britons-expect-to-pay-for-healthcare-says-report

my experience is that  when you need it - the NHS is much better than news reports has you thinking.

My experience is when you need it you have to wait months or even years to actually get it.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

My experience is when you need it you have to wait months or even years to actually get it.

yeah, but people do get it, and normally soon enough to not be an issue. its not perfect, but its mostly  better than the paper scare stories.

11 hours ago, Neil said:

don't fall for this.....

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/aug/31/nhs-queues-mean-most-britons-expect-to-pay-for-healthcare-says-report

my experience is that  when you need it - the NHS is much better than news reports has you thinking.

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

My experience is:

1) In England long waits to get an appointment letter that gave an appointment in 9 months or longer.
2) In Wales quick with excellent communication with appointment in 3-4 months after referral then repeat appointments as and when required in under a month.

buit I also know that if I lived in Cardiff or another busy area my Wales experience would likely have been like my England one.

It seems fair to post things that Labour are doing that seem dodgy or are being investigated as when the last lot were in it was all posted - but seems now it is being overlooked!! Hmmmmmmm

Anyway, here is one:

Civil Service regulator launches 'review' into Labour appointments amid 'cronyism' row
https://news.sky.com/story/civil-service-regulator-launches-review-into-labour-appointments-amid-cronyism-row-13206160

and here is another one

A Labour politician has defended himself as a "renters champion" despite flats he rents out reportedly found to be in poor condition.

Jas Athwal, the newly-elected MP for Ilford South, owns 15 rental flats, but some tenants have claimed they regularly have to clean their bathroom ceilings to remove mould.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-mp-defends-himself-as-renters-champion-after-poor-conditions-found-in-his-properties-13206274

I sincerely hope that things like this and the previous post stop and do not become like the last lot with MP's all over simply being corrupt twunts out for money and themselves.

16 hours ago, Neil said:

good idea, member democracy can be braindead as the election of corbyn showed - the members are too stupid to make a good choice.

I think you could argue Liz Truss as well on the other side. I wonder if they would be better off letting members vote on a shortlist to get down to 2 and then MPs decide.

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and here is another one

A Labour politician has defended himself as a "renters champion" despite flats he rents out reportedly found to be in poor condition.

Jas Athwal, the newly-elected MP for Ilford South, owns 15 rental flats, but some tenants have claimed they regularly have to clean their bathroom ceilings to remove mould.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-mp-defends-himself-as-renters-champion-after-poor-conditions-found-in-his-properties-13206274

I sincerely hope that things like this and the previous post stop and do not become like the last lot with MP's all over simply being corrupt twunts out for money and themselves.

Worth mentioning for this guy, that he replaced Sam Tarry, a well-liked local constituency candidate, who got kicked out of the candidacy for joining a picket line - which is obviously far further from how Labour should be than being a slumlord.

3 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Worth mentioning for this guy, that he replaced Sam Tarry, a well-liked local constituency candidate, who got kicked out of the candidacy for joining a picket line - which is obviously far further from how Labour should be than being a slumlord.

I would be interested in his views on changing rental laws that Labour say they will do..................... changes that oif done will cost him a lot of money on his 15 rental properties.
I wonder how many other government MP's have rental properties and so I then wonder how the policies will alter as a result - like they did with the last lot.

22 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I would be interested in his views on changing rental laws that Labour say they will do..................... changes that oif done will cost him a lot of money on his 15 rental properties.
I wonder how many other government MP's have rental properties and so I then wonder how the policies will alter as a result - like they did with the last lot.

From the BBC article on the same topic:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clyg1j0lv1go

Around 60 current MPs receive income from rental properties, according to Parliament's latest register of interests.

Edit: Oh you'd said govt. Then I don't know, although Starmer's a landlord.

Edited by kaosmark2

41 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

From the BBC article on the same topic:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clyg1j0lv1go

Around 60 current MPs receive income from rental properties, according to Parliament's latest register of interests.

Edit: Oh you'd said govt. Then I don't know, although Starmer's a landlord.

44 Labour MP's are Landlords.

MPs must declare if they have a rental property that generates more than £10,000 a year in annual income. There are 85 MPs who declare themselves as landlords under this definition — representing 13 per cent of parliamentarians — and they own 184 rental properties between them. 

https://www.ft.com/content/6a317b97-8f76-46a1-af4a-ee48f5d32224

Edited by Nobody Interesting

23 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Apparently Starmer wants to try and change how leader is picked to how it used to be, where just MPs decide.

He'll probably fail, but I actually think both main parties should do this (especially when picking PM).

At least it wll allow him to say he's actually changed something.

After all, we voted for change, didn't we?

4 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

And astonishingly, standing on a picket line is now something to boast about if you want to be US president but is totally unacceptable in the UK LABOUR party.

Edited by LJS

6 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I’m not sure that’s completely accurate, there are people still Labour MPs who did the same. I think Athwal was the original choice of the Labour constituency members but lost the opportunity over an allegation which he was cleared. The members then had a choice of Athwal and Tarry and chose Athwal.

Thats not to give him a free ride for what he has been accused of which I think is terrible. However I think it’s important context to add.

I've got a fix so that labour can spend big tax the Gallagher's and the gammons who were rich enough to buy tickets at bottomless prices. Who are then think enough to blame the ticket agents for the pricing.

Oh dear, what a daft thing to say!!

The economy could have crashed had the government not found savings by cutting winter fuel payments for pensioners, a minister has said.

https://news.sky.com/story/economy-could-have-crashed-if-winter-fuel-payments-for-pensioners-werent-cut-labour-minister-claims-13207619