UK Politics

kalifire

Labour, the party of business......................... so they said..................................

Oh dear.

Labour is facing a drop off in confidence among business leaders amid plans for tax rises and improvements to workers' rights, according to a survey.

The Institute of Directors (IoD) had noted a leap in optimism in July among its membership as the new government came to power.

But its latest economic confidence index showed a slump from a three-year high, falling into negative territory in August.

5 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Oh dear, what a daft thing to say!!

The economy could have crashed had the government not found savings by cutting winter fuel payments for pensioners, a minister has said.

https://news.sky.com/story/economy-could-have-crashed-if-winter-fuel-payments-for-pensioners-werent-cut-labour-minister-claims-13207619

Does anyone actually believe this shite?

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Almost pointlessly limited.

Not pointless.

Labour conference coming up.

4 minutes ago, LJS said:

Not pointless.

Labour conference coming up.

I forgot about that................ cos they keep telling me how urgent everything is to get sorted cos it is so dire out there...............

So I forgot they would return from 6 weeks off to then have another 3 weeks off.

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I forgot about that................ cos they keep telling me how urgent everything is to get sorted cos it is so dire out there...............

So I forgot they would return from 6 weeks off to then have another 3 weeks off.

they should ban summer holidays and ban conference to get on with the hard graft of government?

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I imagine they probably are talking to different audiences. The diversity of MPs and constituencies they represent is very different between the 2 groupings.

ok...fair amount of crossover though...but yes Greens have that nimby anglia lot who probably think the two child limit is fair enough and that Gaza is awful but wouldn't go anywhere near a pro palestine march.

I guess by forming this alliance corbyn and co get more parliamentary time and maybe some more cash?

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok...fair amount of crossover though...but yes Greens have that nimby anglia lot who probably think the two child limit is fair enough and that Gaza is awful but wouldn't go anywhere near a pro palestine march.

I guess by forming this alliance corbyn and co get more parliamentary time and maybe some more cash?

It is understood the new alliance do not expect to receive Short money, which is the funding opposition parties can receive for parliamentary work.

In a joint statement, the five MPs said they expected Hoyle would give them a similar number of speaking slots as other small parties such as Nigel Farage’s Reform, including being added to the rota for PMQs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/sep/02/jeremy-corbyn-alliance-independent-pro-gaza-mps

Parliamentary time yes, cash no.

54 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they should ban summer holidays and ban conference to get on with the hard graft of government?

They get, normally, 8/9 weeks off.

Summer holiday 2 weeks
Conference 1 week

The still get 5/6 weeks off for the rest so do conferences in summer recess not just after they come back.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

They get, normally, 8/9 weeks off.

Summer holiday 2 weeks
Conference 1 week

The still get 5/6 weeks off for the rest so do conferences in summer recess not just after they come back.

You know those weeks off from parliament aren't spent on the beach?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

You know those weeks off from parliament aren't spent on the beach?

I am saying just to use one of them for the conference, not all of them.

They have heaps of time and as I have said, and shown, before many do not even do constituency surgeries in the summer recess.

I thought Labour wanted to change people perception of politics and make the politicians 'serve' again. How is coming back off a break and then having another break to blow your own trumpet serving?

If they really want change then they could give lots of change with ease but I guarantee little or nothing in Parliamentary procedure will even get suggest for change after their review is finished.

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I am saying just to use one of them for the conference, not all of them.

They have heaps of time and as I have said, and shown, before many do not even do constituency surgeries in the summer recess.

I thought Labour wanted to change people perception of politics and make the politicians 'serve' again. How is coming back off a break and then having another break to blow your own trumpet serving?

If they really want change then they could give lots of change with ease but I guarantee little or nothing in Parliamentary procedure will even get suggest for change after their review is finished.

everything you suggest is a terrible idea imo.