UK Politics

kalifire

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Don't f**k with pensioners 

Well it's hardly been a honeymoon period, no election for years, as Deborah Meaden says - plenty of pensioners (as she is one) don't need it. 

Where I live many pensioners are pretty well off, but they certainly handled it badly. 

more bad numbers for labour...Reeves especially unpopular which is hardly surprising..

Favourability ratings for Rachel Reeves

Need a parallel universe where in her statement thing she says things are much worse than we thought so we're sorry but we're going to break our election pledge and reverse those NI cuts so we don't need to make damaging and painful spending cuts and see how bad her ratings would be.

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Well it's hardly been a honeymoon period, no election for years, as Deborah Meaden says - plenty of pensioners (as she is one) don't need it. 

Where I live many pensioners are pretty well off, but they certainly handled it badly. 

yes no election for years...but sometimes these things stick...see Scholz.

Things will need to be noticeably improving in 5 years or they're going to lose and Starmer will just be another Attlee instead of another Blair. 🙂

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes no election for years...but sometimes these things stick...see Scholz.

Things will need to be noticeably improving in 5 years or they're going to lose and Starmer will just be another Attlee instead of another Blair. 🙂

Cheer up, some stuff more important than a poll that had an obvious outcome 

BBC News - Coal mine plan quashed by High Court

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cdrlrkz5k2ro

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I'm not doing the doom and gloom, it's Starmer and Reeves.

I've lived through the last 14 years with the highest tax burden for seventy years, pork barrel politics (one of the constituencies he gave money to was his own N Yorkshire which is very far from the poorest), the endless stoking of the culture wars, direct pressure on the broadcasting organisation that we own to be less critical of the government's perspective, 425bn wiped off pensions by Truss. 

Personally I'm happy to give any fecker (other than Tommy Robinson in a cravat obviously) more than two months to at least try and do anything different, but it will take time. 

They are getting rid of quite a lot of crap … not keen on austerity 2 which takes the gloss off it a fair bit 😞 and the single person council tax discount removal will be sh*t for me . Hope that doesn’t happen and is a leak to test the waters ? Not quite sure why I’d be penalised for not having a partner . Would prefer them to go harder at second homes 

19 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

They are getting rid of quite a lot of crap … not keen on austerity 2 which takes the gloss off it a fair bit 😞 and the single person council tax discount removal will be sh*t for me . Hope that doesn’t happen and is a leak to test the waters ? Not quite sure why I’d be penalised for not having a partner . Would prefer them to go harder at second homes 

I'm really hoping the single person council tax discount is part of a wider reform of council tax, and not just being sh*tty to people who live alone. Council tax is probably the most regressive and least proportionate tax we have in society.

On 9/13/2024 at 10:35 AM, steviewevie said:

Don't f**k with pensioners 

tolky's are  trying to recast themselves as the party for the oldies, its where they can gain a difference over farrage.

Edited by Neil

On 9/13/2024 at 10:59 AM, clarkete said:

would have been better if they'd combined the announcement  of the  removal of the WFA with the pension increase of £420.

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

would have been better if they'd combined the announcement  of the  removal of the WFA with the pension increase of £420.

Yes.  Was surprised that the size of this figure.

"The issue of who needs the support is at the heart of the change to the WFP. Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures show that the proportion of wealthy over-65s has grown.

In 2010, 9% of this group lived in a household that had a total wealth – including assets like their home and pensions – above £1 million. Ten years later, this rose to 27%."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4gegy4r9ndo

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yes.  Was surprised that the size of this figure.

"The issue of who needs the support is at the heart of the change to the WFP. Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures show that the proportion of wealthy over-65s has grown.

In 2010, 9% of this group lived in a household that had a total wealth – including assets like their home and pensions – above £1 million. Ten years later, this rose to 27%."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4gegy4r9ndo

in the distant past pensioners genuinely Struggled - Blair changed that and now pensioners always have a tenner for their grandchildren..

I don't think many could argue against means testing this benefit to save some money when a lot of pensioners are doing ok, but many aren't and either are just above the threshold and still in relative poverty, or are below the threshold but not getting pension credits for whatever reason. And with bringing out this policy pretty much on its own it looks like they're singling out oaps for cuts, when they could have brought it out after pension increase news and along with all the other stuff that is going to piss everyone off in the budget.

So, they've probably lost the oap vote now, and pensioners vote, and I know there's lots of resentment against the oldies particularly from the left, but still will look bad with heat or eat stories this winter. Maybe Reeves will tweak or offer something in the budget, it isn't about saving money now but about politics, but then again she wants to look all tough so mr market likes her and interest rates come down and investment goes up or something like that.

I guess this is why just having a universal benefit is easier, and actually maybe cheaper.

Reversing this would probably be much more popular than reversing the two child benefit cap.

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I guess this is why just having a universal benefit is easier, and actually maybe cheaper.

Because this doesn't have its own means testing, it's one of the very few times that changing to means testing from universal will actually save the full amount.

this country FFS,  just had a bag stolen off the back of my mobility scooter when it was parked outside sainsbury's -  what sort of scumbag  steals from the disabled, and possibly causes them all sorts of problems, luckily wasn't a big issue for me, just a shame to lose the coat that was in the bag. 😞 

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

this country FFS,  just had a bag stolen off the back of my mobility scooter when it was parked outside sainsbury's -  what sort of scumbag  steals from the disabled, and possibly causes them all sorts of problems, luckily wasn't a big issue for me, just a shame to lose the coat that was in the bag. 😞 

jeez man that is sh*t. 

31 minutes ago, Neil said:

No big issue or not, Sainsburys should have security cameras. You should pursue this or it's going to happen again to somebody for whom it is a big deal.

1 hour ago, MilkyJoe said:

No big issue or not, Sainsburys should have security cameras. You should pursue this or it's going to happen again to somebody for whom it is a big deal.

They might have cameras but didn't have security staff working today so the CCTV footage wasn't available.

• Upvote 1