International Politics

kalifire

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

All eyes on France

My friends in France are really really worried. Some sensible people they know are changing and voting for the Right wing nutters for the first time and that seems to be true all over the country from what they see and hear.

I have an awful feeling the right are going to win.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

My friends in France are really really worried. Some sensible people they know are changing and voting for the Right wing nutters for the first time and that seems to be true all over the country from what they see and hear.

I have an awful feeling the right are going to win.

Suggestion in final poll was largest party but not enough to be a majority.

I guess we'll find out in due course.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

still, centrist/left split still f**ks things. More chaos ahead, but shows a limit to what Le Pen can achieve.

Let's hope that Reform are close to their peak in the UK and we have more sense than to allow them to grow.

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

this must be down to Sir Keir.

non, Jordan Pickford has saved France, bien sur.

45 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Let's hope that Reform are close to their peak in the UK and we have more sense than to allow them to grow.

UKIP got 3.8m votes in 2015. Reform got 4.0m this time round. They haven't really grown in 9 years despite all the media coverage.

22 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

UKIP got 3.8m votes in 2015. Reform got 4.0m this time round. They haven't really grown in 9 years despite all the media coverage.

Huh I thought UKIP got more like 5 million in 2015, not 3.8m. Must've had dodgy intel to have received that impression.

Well, this is a genuine surprise. I thought the far-right would still be largest party so the exit polls are hinting they've really lost something in the final execution.

Although granted news that the Prime Minister has resigned and some in Macron's Renaissance party don't sound fond of working with some parties in the left alliance isn't a sign it's about to get any less incoherent.

13 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Well, this is a genuine surprise. I thought the far-right would still be largest party so the exit polls are hinting they've really lost something in the final execution.

Although granted news that the Prime Minister has resigned and some in Macron's Renaissance party don't sound fond of working with some parties in the left alliance isn't a sign it's about to get any less incoherent.

It's a transferable vote system. Who's going to have the far-right 2nd place?

Just now, kaosmark2 said:

It's a transferable vote system. Who's going to have the far-right 2nd place?

It could be that I fell for hype and having seen so many people say that they were set to clean up that this was the taboo breaking election were enough people fell for their spell to get them into power. But apparently not.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

It could be that I fell for hype and having seen so many people say that they were set to clean up that this was the taboo breaking election were enough people fell for their spell to get them into power. But apparently not.

"The rise of the far right" is a favourite media talking point.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

"The rise of the far right" is a favourite media talking point.

I think it's a nation-by-nation thing. I can imagine French voters were vulnerable to this due to Macron being a bit of an arse since winning re-election in 2022 but maybe there is a case that far right governments aren't quite as popular as they claim they are.

Guess with France, we'll have to see if there's any similar tension around their next Presidential election. Though 2027 is quite a while off and one suspects Macron will be stubborn enough to stick around until then.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Good idea that two elections thing.

Sometimes, anyway. Brazil and Argentina also use the two election version and some of their recent choices haven't exactly worked.

Saying that, I still think Brexit should've been two referendums with a "This deal or cancel Brexit and stay in the EU" question instead of a 2019 election. But that's obviously a different mess handled differently by a different system.