International Politics

kalifire

7 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Sometimes, anyway. Brazil and Argentina also use the two election version and some of their recent choices haven't exactly worked.

Saying that, I still think Brexit should've been two referendums with a "This deal or cancel Brexit and stay in the EU" question instead of a 2019 election. But that's obviously a different mess handled differently by a different system.

Best of 3 maybe 

10 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

"The rise of the far right" is a favourite media talking point.

well...the polls were indicating that RN or whatever they're called would win most seats, and maybe even a majority...this result was a surprise. And far right have seen a big increase in support in lots of places. Yes the media may sensationalise or even exaggerate, but isn't as if they're making it all up.

On 7/7/2024 at 9:07 AM, Nobody Interesting said:

My friends in France are really really worried. Some sensible people they know are changing and voting for the Right wing nutters for the first time and that seems to be true all over the country from what they see and hear.

I have an awful feeling the right are going to win.

Wowzah - a downvote on this for being worried the right might win!!

Perhaps says a lot about the person who downvoted me rather than my comment.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Just becomes background noise after a while...

and the response from the IDF is just one of zero care about any innocents being killed. US and the West have long since forgotten they wanted Israel to be more careful.