International Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, doogie said:

1967 was absolutely preemptive, but yes, noone in this conflict is blame free.

But I maintain the key to resolving this for the long term is the Arabs' recognition of the state of Israel, so Israel is no longer threatened. Exact borders can all be negotiated at that point. Israel has removed settlements before (e.g. from Gaza in 2005) and probably would again if there was a realistic chance of peace as a result.

It shouldn't be that much to ask really, considering Israel is tiny in comparison to the rest of the region (it's about the size of Wales) and it is the historic Jewish homeland.

On that you and I (with the UN on my side) will have to disagree.

The history books on that do not lie and parts of land occupied that were never posed any threat are still occupied today.

And it is also the historic homeland of others.

PS A few years ago I was in Africa with a group of people and one was an Israeli. What they get taught at school about such events is quite amazing. History re-written entirely saying that Egypt invaded Israel in 1967 seizing the Sinai Peninsula from them.
With that being taught no wonder the region is in the state it is in.

Edited by Nobody Interesting

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Already has been at length on this and the old thread and I am sure you are well aware of the history already given you took part in those discussions.

ok, no not sure I remember any of that...but ok....both jews and palestinians feel they have some historic ties to that part of the world, and they are both legitimate?

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, no not sure I remember any of that...but ok....both jews and palestinians feel they have some historic ties to that part of the world, and they are both legitimate?

In simplistic terms yes. Sadly due to what people outside the area tried to do any simplicity died alongside countless innocents on both sides.

But again, you know that already.

I'm off, have  a nice evening.

Edited by Nobody Interesting

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

General strike started in Israel...could be the beginning of the end for Netanyahu.

Netanyahu's toast next time there's an election, assuming the coalition doesn't collapse before then, which it well might.

The more interesting question is whether the Israeli protestors/strikers are right to push for a hostage release deal that would inevitably provide fuel for future Hamas atrocities.

45 minutes ago, doogie said:

Netanyahu's toast next time there's an election, assuming the coalition doesn't collapse before then, which it well might.

The more interesting question is whether the Israeli protestors/strikers are right to push for a hostage release deal that would inevitably provide fuel for future Hamas atrocities.

yeah no doubt it is tricky...but ultimately he is meant to be keeping Israeli's alive...no one left behind etc., and they failed with that on Oct 7th, and have failed with getting the hostages back alive. Any compromise to get a deal with Hamas would likely have led to the collapse of the government, and then who knows what would happen to Bibi...so there is that. 

Meanwhile the situation in Gaza is an ongoing humanitarian disaster.

58 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Greedy liberals always prefer to compromise on their principles of democracy and morality than their bank balance. 

does that apply to the Swedish anti-immigrant violent gangs.

Edited by Neil

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

what about greedy illiberals?

they become bankers or join stop the war coalition. or get to be a millionaire by being the useless mp for Islington.

Edited by Neil

54 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

"considering"

Like Starmer will be in a few years due to Reform breathing down his neck...

Germany has national elections next year and given that Scholz seems pretty unpopular, it does just seem like throwing things at a wall to see what'll stick even after it looks pretty apparent it's too late.

Though as it's Germany it'll probably just be another several months of coalition negotiations after that ballot to figure out what it actually means.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Looks like Scholz putting up borders...RIP Schengen and free movement?

and again the kippers will say that's why it was right to brexit.