Oya festival 2024

Specta

Pretty decent replacement. And the obvious one since they play all other scandinavian festivals the other days.

Honestly if WOW scoop Idles i’ll be pretty jelaous since this was one of the main reasons to choose Oya over WOW.

Specially since WOW have a much better undercard in my opinion (Nation of Language, Fever Ray, Susanne Sundfor and so much more). Man, just looking at the WOW line up again makes me feel the fomo creeping in.

4 hours ago, Specta said:

Pretty decent replacement. And the obvious one since they play all other scandinavian festivals the other days.

Honestly if WOW scoop Idles i’ll be pretty jelaous since this was one of the main reasons to choose Oya over WOW.

Specially since WOW have a much better undercard in my opinion (Nation of Language, Fever Ray, Susanne Sundfor and so much more). Man, just looking at the WOW line up again makes me feel the fomo creeping in.

I'm sure we'll both have a great time, regardless of the replacements. Was gutted to find out The Smile weren't playing as I specifically booked this trip to see them, but still a lot of my favourite acts are around and it's my first time to Sweden, so also excited about that.

• Like 2

Jack White coming for QOTSA. I guess they already had him in mind since the july announcement.

Overall pretty good work from the scandy festivals on this short notice.

33 minutes ago, xxialac said:

To anyone who has been before:

- can you take in food

- can you leave and come back

thanks!

You can only take with you snacks and fruit, so no normal food.

Yes. Latest entry is 22:00.

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Anything else worth knowing ahead of next week?

Insider tips?

If you are getting the metro, don't try to chance it without a ticket - when we went there were ticket checkers on the way out of the station.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, WFD said:

If you are getting the metro, don't try to chance it without a ticket - when we went there were ticket checkers on the way out of the station.

On this one. Not sure how long are you staying in Oslo and where, but for us (staying from 6th till 12th of August) the 7 day travel pass seemed like a pretty good value. Specially if you want to check more places around the city. I think with it you can also hop on on some ferries to nearby islands and fjords.

Edited by Specta

11 minutes ago, Specta said:

On this one. Not sure how long are you staying in Oslo and where, but for us (staying from 6th till 12th of August) the 7 day travel pass seemed like a pretty good value. Specially if you want to check more places around the city. I think with it you can also hop on on some ferries to nearby islands and fjords.

Brilliant tips so far, thank you both.

• 2 weeks later...

some post-festival observations from a first timer at oya.

- this was by far the best organized festival i've ever been to. waiting time for wc or bars or food was no more than 5-10 min in the busy time between acts on the bigger stages. no overcrowding on the festival area or on the stages. probably the best sound i've experienced on a festival no matter which stage big or small. never before seen so many people involved in getting the venue cleaned (even inbetween sets on stages people collecting trash) or getting sure people know how to get to the exits after the shows finished. just perfect.

- the location was beautiful and very easy to get to. lots of public transport avaivable and even after the last concert never felt there was an overcrowding on the metro or other transport. this for me is a huge plus. also inside you can basically walk for 10 min from one side of the fest to the other. very compact with lots of places to rest for a while.

- the crowds were very polite and some might say a bit dull at some concerts but honestly i think it's just the overall chill vibe of the festival that is really the feeling that can sums it up. some of the the more guitar acts still had some crowdsurfing and even moshpits, so on that point also pretty satisfying.

- the city is great. easy to navigate, lots of great green spaces, some nice museums and just an overall very chill cool vibe. that the festival is four days long really gives you a chance to check enough sights and just get the whole vibe of the city.

- the only thing i might suggest needs some kind of improvement is the club stage witch seems too small for the number of interested people. and on this point maybe a bit more electronic music on other bigger stages would also be nice. some more mellow sounding electronic acts would sound great on amfiet or vindfruen and will get the spirits high, especially when the sun is shining on the those greeny hills.

- and lastly, artists also seemed to enjoy the festival. basically all of the acts i was looking forward to didn't disappoint and brought their a game. special shouts to Idles, Slowdive, Pulp, English Teacher and Yard Act.

yes, it's a bit expensive compared to other festivals but in the end i don't think anyone can leave this place disappointed.

• Upvote 1