Coldplay

smogo

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I didn't watch but I'm curious as to what I missed.

Wheeled the lad out with a Stratocaster on his lap. Barely addressed him.

Briefly shoe horned Go Johnny go go go lyrics into the song they were playing.

Crouched down beside him during fix you of all songs.

The chap looked a bit distressed by the end of it.

The first 2/3rds of the set was flawless and i was starting to think they might be able to top 2016. The Lil Simz and Arabesque section was a really great addition. 

Found the encore a bit of an odd experience though. I love the two Michaels but seeing Eavis blankly staring at the screen and J Fox being wheeled out and holding a guitar made me feel a bit sad. There was also a medical issue in the crowd near us while chris was doing the whole jumbotron skit. Couldn't work out if he was stalling for medical or that was actually part of the set?

But overall another top class headline show from them. 

1 minute ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Wheeled the lad out with a Stratocaster on his lap. Barely addressed him.

Briefly shoe horned Go Johnny go go go lyrics into the song they were playing.

Crouched down beside him during fix you of all songs.

The chap looked a bit distressed by the end of it.

That's all a bit strange.

3 minutes ago, Lubic said:

The first 2/3rds of the set was flawless and i was starting to think they might be able to top 2016. The Lil Simz and Arabesque section was a really great addition. 

Found the encore a bit of an odd experience though. I love the two Michaels but seeing Eavis blankly staring at the screen and J Fox being wheeled out and holding a guitar made me feel a bit sad. There was also a medical issue in the crowd near us while chris was doing the whole jumbotron skit. Couldn't work out if he was stalling for medical or that was actually part of the set?

But overall another top class headline show from them. 

Seeing Eavis and Joe Biden in their respective states of dotage this week was alarming on a personal level.

How fragile our faculties are.

Eye opening.

Some of their previous attempts - 2016 in particular - were basically just the touring show, whereas last night definitely felt the most tailor made for Glastonbury. Whether that qualifies it as the ‘best’, who knows, but for my money it was certainly the most enjoyable to watch. 

23 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Whats the story with the bass player?

Is he just an introverted kind of fella?

He doesnt look interested at all. Such a low profile. 

You wouldnt recognise him if he passed you on the street.

Much like many bands, he’s happy for the singer to hog the spotlight. The others have all become multi-millionaires without ever suffering the side effects of paparazzi outside their houses etc. Must be a dream. 

Was nice to see the three of them get emotional last night though. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

52 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Seeing Eavis and Joe Biden in their respective states of dotage this week was alarming on a personal level.

How fragile our faculties are.

Eye opening.

Anyone who knows Michael will tell you he is certainly not in his dotage. Ok - he's in a wheelchair but he's still as sharp as ever. The comparison to Biden is ridiculous.

I understand he was due to sing again so maybe that bit was changed at the last minute.

Edited by Ommadawn

That was the busiest I’ve seen the Pyramid in the last few years, felt busier and harder to move through than Elton or Macca. 

I thought everybody hated them, and would be elsewhere? I was looking forward to being able to get a good view. 🙈😂

Anyway, that was incredible, loved it! 

the flag thread went to pot, where I was originally going to post this, so I’ll post it here… Is this going too far? 😂😂😂

IMG_4537.thumb.jpeg.81229e10938d56726e22620e04e82532.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

That was the busiest I’ve seen the Pyramid in the last few years, felt busier and harder to move through than Elton or Macca. 

I thought everybody hated them, and would be elsewhere? I was looking forward to being able to get a good view. 🙈😂

the flag thread went to pot, where I was originally going to post this, so I’ll post it here… Is this going too far? 😂😂😂

Blimey. 

Was that up the whole time? 

I don't remember noticing it on TV when they showed the crowd.

6 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Blimey. 

Was that up the whole time? 

I don't remember noticing it on TV when they showed the crowd.

It was up for a long time, and was nowhere near the front (I’m top of the hill, by the highest exit towards Hawkwell / Michael’s Mead!!!

34 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

There is a drone shot of Coldplay & it's very busy, but it is not as busy as Elton. Coldplay on the left hand side thins out & doesnt go right to the back.

Elton is chocker.

Still a massive crowd for Coldplay though. Looks bigger than McCartney IMO

20240630_121624.jpg

the-crowd-for-elton-john-glastonbury-festival-25th-june-2023-v0-2faqsydi588b1.jpg

54 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Some of their previous attempts - 2016 in particular - were basically just the touring show, whereas last night definitely felt the most tailor made for Glastonbury. Whether that qualifies it as the ‘best’, who knows, but for my money it was certainly the most enjoyable to watch. 

2016 had plenty of glasto specific moments - viola, gibb, eavis etc. But yeah they made some great choices adapting the show from the Wembley gig I saw the other year. All killer no filler in terms of the song choices, and Arabesque was probably my surprise highlight.  I think 2016 just edges it for me purely because I preferred the encore. Both brilliant sets, as was 2011. They know how to nail the Pyramid. 

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Jeezo. I'm a fan of flags but that's mental

Please tell me it at least had the world's wittiest statement written on it!!!

I watched most of it from home. A really strong set, but for me 2016 was utterly magical and very hard to top.

There are so many cynical responses to them, and the truth is, Coldplay just are not for cynical people. They make an effort to do something genuine and heartfelt, and they just get accused of being fake. If they just brought the stadium show without any extras to the pyramid, they'd get accused of phoning it in.

I appreciate that it was a bit upsetting to see the two Michaels in wheelchairs, but maybe the issue is that we are still not comfortable with people with disabilities. We don't know the backstory behind the MJF appearance, but the idea that they 'wheeled him out' just for 'virtue signalling' is really gross and robs MJF of any agency.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even the Chainsmokers and BTS ones d@bbed up in the context.

Yep. The last song was the only moment that fell a bit flat but that was probably as much to do with it being a brand new song nobody knew, coming straight off the emotional high of Fix You, than anything else. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy