Coldplay

smogo

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Definitely quieter than Reg. You could see green at the top of the field in the drone shots.

I was at the top 🙈😂

it was so tight at one point that we had to get out as missus was needing to use her inhalers and get some air. 

It quieted down a hell of a lot 20-30 mins in though as 1000s left. 

we were much closer for 2022 and 2023, and had more space. Especially 2022.

50 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

Jeezo. I'm a fan of flags but that's mental

Please tell me it at least had the world's wittiest statement written on it!!!

I think it was just plain white… Clearly the intention was just to have the biggest flag imaginable so that the beeb would notice it. “Look mum I’m on the telly!”

It actually looked quite good in the way it flew and flowed with the wind though to be fair. 

On 6/30/2024 at 1:16 PM, Detective McNulty said:

First half amazing second half absolutely ridiculous drivel. Boring, weird wheeling out some lads in wheelchairs to sing Fix you at. Talking more than singing. Just very f**king annoying and cringey. People by me were leaving in their droves 

Exactly this. I don’t really like post XYZ stuff but thought they were really delivering the goods first half an hour when they just let the songs do the talking. Then the last hour or so was one of the worst things I have ever seen on the Pyramid, the area where I was stood (diagonally behind left mixer) people were pissing themselves laughing. It reminded me of the Michael Jackson Earth Song Brit Awards performative nonsense, except people seem to have lapped it up. And the stuff with poor Michael E and Michael J Fox was so awkward it was borderline unbearable. 

18 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Exactly this. I don’t really like post XYZ stuff but thought they were really delivering the goods first half an hour when they just let the songs do the talking. Then the last hour or so was one of the worst things I have ever seen on the Pyramid, the area where I was stood (diagonally behind left mixer) people were pissing themselves laughing. It reminded me of the Michael Jackson Earth Song Brit Awards performative nonsense, except people seem to have lapped it up. And the stuff with poor Michael E and Michael J Fox was so awkward it was borderline unbearable. 

MJF described the experience as “f*cking mind blowing”…so I guess he didn’t feel awkward about it! Maybe stop pitying him eh? 🙂

fwiw, I though the 2nd half had some of the highlights of the set (liked the new song, Arabesque was immense, Laura Mvula’s Violet Hill was gorgeous, SFOS was great (though I’ll give you the false start nonsense), Something just like this, Sparks, and a big singalong)…not too shabby.

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

MJF described the experience as “f*cking mind blowing”…so I guess he didn’t feel awkward about it! Maybe stop pitying him eh? 🙂

fwiw, I though the 2nd half had some of the highlights of the set (liked the new song, Arabesque was immense, Laura Mvula’s Violet Hill was gorgeous, SFOS was great (though I’ll give you the false start nonsense), Something just like this, Sparks, and a big singalong)…not too shabby.

My Universe got a huge reaction around me. Agreed on Arabesque too that was immense. At least they tried something a bit different to pasting in the usual tour setlist.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MEGABOWL said:

My Universe got a huge reaction around me. Agreed on Arabesque too that was immense. At least they tried something a bit different to pasting in the usual tour setlist.

Forgot My Universe!! That was great too! Yeah, I’ve seen them do their first 4 album set before, this was all new for me and I loved it!

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

I’m glad the majority enjoyed it, each to their own, not trying to piss on anyone’s chips. Was pleased they played Sparks (but even that got stopped for endless chat). 

Just a personal opinion, but to me the whole thing felt forced and insincere. Like if you asked a marketing agency to design a ‘Glastonbury moment’ and no one had ever been before but just watched it in the telly. 

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can't really accuse Coldplay of all bands of not really getting Glastonbury tbf

Exactly. Second time I’ve seen them doing it (was there in ‘11 but skipped ‘16) and they’re either really good actors or they genuinely absolutely love being up there. 

We were torn between Coldplay and Disclosure, so decided to do half of each, not a tactic I’m usually on board with but it panned out perfectly. 

The hour we saw of Coldplay was A tier stuff, front loaded with heavy hitters, flashing lights, fireworks and all round immaculate vibes. 

The 2nd half of Disclosure also slapped, with the Faithless cover being the biggest Glasto moment of 2024. Scenes. 

On 6/16/2024 at 9:18 PM, Pinhead said:

Don't believe a word of it. Basically the house band now aren't they. And 2016 wasn't really the last time either - he basically headlined the COVID set.

And Coldplay as I recall, were the only ones who "got" that too.  For the first time, we were allowed to gather together inside.  I invited friends round for a festival feeling.  And so many of the other acts played sombre sets, Damon even talking about death I think.  Coldplay were the only ones who got us on our feet singing.

On 6/30/2024 at 11:17 AM, Drums Please Fab said:

Whats the story with the bass player?

Is he just an introverted kind of fella?

He doesnt look interested at all. Such a low profile. 

You wouldnt recognise him if he passed you on the street.

Bass players are often like that.  See John Entwhistle, 

We decided to split our time between Coldplay and Jessie Ware.

We were pretty cynical

about Coldplay before Saturday, but decided to go for a bit to see the wristband lights in effect, watched most of the first half from halfway up in the middle of the crowd just off the metal trackway and really enjoyed it.  The crowd was singing every word and loving it, fireworks, lasers, confetti, they had it all going on and it looked great.

When we left for Jessie Ware we got a great view of the crowd and the projections on the pyramid as we were walking down the road on the side.. and got up on shoulders to see the crowd from the bottom of the hill for sky full of stars and I don’t think I’ve seen a more magical sight at the pyramid.. it was pretty special.

Small crowd at Jessie Ware but she was pretty good fun. Sweary and hilarious with some great tunes.. in hindsight I would’ve liked to have stayed for the rest of the Coldplay set.

On 6/30/2024 at 10:13 AM, VCF said:

Coldplay performing Arabesque live at Glastonbury. Unreal.

And another reminder that Everyday Life is one of their best records, if not their best.

Yeah, I was well pleased to hear it live.  I really enjoyed that album, and the Jordan live videos they did rather than touring have been much watched at my house.

On 6/30/2024 at 12:54 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even the Chainsmokers and BTS ones d@bbed up in the context.

They've done this to me every time they've headlined.  You go there thinking they've done nothing worth listening to in years and then they feed in some newer tracks that absolutely work in the context of the night.  It was an absolutely phenomenal crowd to be amongst, just a sea of happy singing people all around me.  That Simz track was the business, particularly after she'd just walloped it so hard out of the park it's currently leaving lunar orbit.

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

And Coldplay as I recall, were the only ones who "got" that too.  For the first time, we were allowed to gather together inside.  I invited friends round for a festival feeling.  And so many of the other acts played sombre sets, Damon even talking about death I think.  Coldplay were the only ones who got us on our feet singing.

Maybe. Or they 'got that' though their slick PR / Marketing people who read the situation and said, "Chris, like you're massive friends with Emily and I hear GFL are interested in putting on a TV based Glasto this year - shall we call them up as this is a great promotional opportunity for the band", etcetera.

Five times they've been a headliner at Glasto since their career started, excluding other stage appearances at the festival. Who else has that figure in the time since Yellow? Neapotism is as rife here as it is globally I think.

Edited by Pinhead
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Maybe. Or they 'got that' though their slick PR / Marketing people who read the situation and said, "Chris, like you're massive friends with Emily and I hear GFL are interested in putting on a TV based Glasto this year - shall we call them up as this is a great promotional opportunity for the band", etcetera.

Five times they've been a headliner at Glasto since their career started, excluding other stage appearances at the festival. Who else has that figure in the time since Yellow? Neapotism is as rife here as it is globally I think.

By all accounts it’s the festival reaching out to them (rather than them pestering Emily to play). Ain’t many bands that sell out multiple nights in stadiums all over the world that answer the call every time they get it (especially for what Glasto lays out for a pyramid headliner). 

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

By all accounts it’s the festival reaching out to them (rather than them pestering Emily to play). Ain’t many bands that sell out multiple nights in stadiums all over the world that answer the call every time they get it (especially for what Glasto lays out for a pyramid headliner). 

Yes I heard that - this year specifically it was said Emily looked to them to fill. It's reciprocal though isn't it - they help each other out and I doubt if the fee matters anymore to CP as the publicity more than compensates.

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Yes I heard that - this year specifically it was said Emily looked to them to fill. It's reciprocal though isn't it - they help each other out and I doubt if the fee matters anymore to CP as the publicity more than compensates.

Not entirely sure they need the publicity either! Still and all, it was top tier Saturday night entertainment, just a joyous experience from start to finish (I timed myself well this year and was peaking for my headliners each night. Have overdone it earlier in the day before, so paced myself better and held back til later this year and that might have had something to do with it!). 

7 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Not sure how nepotism affected the Covid gig as I think it was clear that was I was saying was that however they got the gig, they got the tone right.  Others didn't.  We wanted to party after lockdown not sit quietly listening to sombre stuff.  So they got it.

54 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Not sure how nepotism affected the Covid gig as I think it was clear that was I was saying was that however they got the gig, they got the tone right.  Others didn't.  We wanted to party after lockdown not sit quietly listening to sombre stuff.  So they got it.

I see what you mean, but I think what you constitute as 'got it' here about the covid tone is very subjective. I also felt that the sombre material from others was just as relevant given the death toll that had been wrought on people by covid at that point. Probably not everyone felt in a party mood.