Coldplay

smogo

On 7/5/2024 at 6:46 AM, Long Drop said:

They seem to be one of these bands that only plays 90mins.

They always seem to lean heavily on their new album (with is fair enough, looking forward rather than backwards) but if they played for 2h it would free up a lots of space for some old favourites.

Their solo shows are 2 hours and change. And on this tour they dont have a section where its deep cuts/old songs. They had that on the head full of dreams tour, but not this one.  The one thing was they totally couldve thrown in more old songs for the glasto set but they chose not to do that. 

17 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

First hour or so was good. Soon as they put those masks on and had a security guard dancing they lost me

Thats when it started to get good/weird imo. 

Watched some of it back over the weekend. Just as weird.

There's a lot of hits in there, and I do appreciate the whole mid-show swerve into unusual territory.

The encore was a bit of a weird twist - kept feeling like it was cresting, and then they went again, but by then, I was swept up in the emotion. Martin knows how to work a crowd - namely his crowd.

I ended up going along, wearing my wristband of shame. Got a spec about halfway back to take in the spectacle. And I guess that is what it was, a spectacle but it sort of didn't feel like a real gig.

Kicking off with Yellow was a good move and raised my hopes, but then going straight into the crime against music that is Higher Power, my expectations were back to where they had started. 

I liked the Arabesque bit, the security guard bit looked staged, Sparks and Viva La Vida were great, but ultimately I left the field feeling they could have replicated it by sending up a load of drones to spell out MEH.

27 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I ended up going along, wearing my wristband of shame. Got a spec about halfway back to take in the spectacle. And I guess that is what it was, a spectacle but it sort of didn't feel like a real gig.

Kicking off with Yellow was a good move and raised my hopes, but then going straight into the crime against music that is Higher Power, my expectations were back to where they had started. 

I liked the Arabesque bit, the security guard bit looked staged, Sparks and Viva La Vida were great, but ultimately I left the field feeling they could have replicated it by sending up a load of drones to spell out MEH.

haha i woulda been scratching the loaf at 70% of it.

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Wasnt there but the 2nd half of the show was wild. Did the gig ever really "flow"? Whole encore in particular disjointed and weird.

3 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

First hour or so was good. Soon as they put those masks on and had a security guard dancing they lost me

Yeah I loved up to Viva La Vida, but after that, very disjointed. Found myself cringing watching some of it back. 

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

If U2 had done what Coldplay did this forum would melt down. They get a pass from Glasters tho, as they play for free, so its fine.

U2 came to Glastonbury and just played a load of hits, mainly older ones, with a massive singalong and very little preaching. People still hated it for some reason. Chris Martin was more Bono at this Glastonbury than Bono was when they played!

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

U2 came to Glastonbury and just played a load of hits, mainly older ones, with a massive singalong and very little preaching. People still hated it for some reason. Chris Martin was more Bono at this Glastonbury than Bono was when they played!

Yeh I don't get this at all. If you play for free and have loadsa gadgets you get away with loads it seems.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Yeh I don't get this at all. If you play for free and have loadsa gadgets you get away with loads it seems.

Coldplay in 2016 remains one of my favourite ever gigs, and the writstbands etc helped with that as it was new to Glastonbury, but the only musical gimmicks were bringing Barry Gibb on (which was great) and Michael Eavis (which wasn't but I understood why). This time it was all just cringeworthy on the music side

Edited by efcfanwirral

Argh, to be fair, U2 had a bloke floating in f**king space at their Glasto gig. Hardly immune to gimmicks here and there.

As Clapton once said: "Right now, the power of music sits with Simon Cowell and Coldplay and U2, who are really people who just attend awards shows. From just listening I can't tell the difference between Coldplay and U2. The one in Coldplay even dances like Bono."

Edited by The Nal

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Coldplay in 2016 remains one of my favourite ever gigs, and the writstbands etc helped with that as it was new to Glastonbury, but the only musical gimmicks were bringing Barry Gibb on (which was great) and Michael Eavis (which wasn't but I understood why). This time it was all just cringeworthy on the music side

Yeh. Can't say I couldve lasted the full show. Grim.

4 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Cleanup would have had a hell of a job finding every shard of the sunglasses.

hahaha UK to decare war on Ireland like the Day Today.

33 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

They made the mistake of bringing their own gear in and it sounded awful (made even worse by the weather). They had an equipment failure as well so loads of things backstage wouldn’t work. Bono seemed very tentative on the soaked and slippery stage (understandably). Encore was a damp squib, as were all of us after a night of being unmercifully soaked. On paper, set list looks good (and BBC recording actually sounds great), but just didn’t work out for them in the field. Seen them countless times and it was easily the worst U2 gig I can remember…was also a pretty short set. They definitely have unfinished business and of the many that I would class as one and done that top the pyramid, I reckon they could actually do with another crack at it. Coldplay the following night blew them away (while playing 5 or 6 songs most hadn’t even heard yet). 

Edited by Toilet Duck
Typo!

9 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

They made the mistake of bringing their own gear in and it sounded awful (made even worse by the weather). They had an equipment failure as well so loads of things backstage wouldn’t work. Bono seemed very tentative on the soaked and slippery stage (understandably). Encore was a damp squib, as were all of us after a night of being unmercifully soaked. On paper, set list looks good (and BBC recording actually sounds great), but just didn’t work out for them in the field. Seen them countless times and it was easily the worst U2 gig I can remember…was also a pretty short set. They definitely have unfinished business and of the many that I would class as one and done that top the pyramid, I reckon they could actually do with another crack at it. Coldplay the following night blew them away (while playing 5 or 6 songs most hadn’t even heard yet). 

Coldplay 2011 was indeed amazing, especially as they delved into the back catalogue in a way we haven't really seen since. 

I really enjoyed U2 as it was my first time seeing them (best was Singapore 2019 though) , but what you're saying may be a similar reason why I didn't like Coldplay this year, I've seen them loads of times and judged it against the other gigs. And yes I really want U2 to come back! Same with Springsteen, I think the time is right now for both

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Coldplay 2011 was indeed amazing, especially as they delved into the back catalogue in a way we haven't really seen since. 

I really enjoyed U2 as it was my first time seeing them (best was Singapore 2019 though) , but this may be a similar reason why I didn't like Coldplay this year, I've seen them loads of times and judged it against the other gigs. 

Yeah, possibly. I hadn’t seen Coldplay since that 2011 gig, so it was almost all new for me and I loved it. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Argh, to be fair, U2 had a bloke floating in f**king space at their Glasto gig. Hardly immune to gimmicks here and there.

As Clapton once said: "Right now, the power of music sits with Simon Cowell and Coldplay and U2, who are really people who just attend awards shows. From just listening I can't tell the difference between Coldplay and U2. The one in Coldplay even dances like Bono."

Clapton once said a LOT of things

• Upvote 1