Glastonbury lineup poster 2024

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Both BST headliners?

Albeit Lana did sell it out immediately 

Lana also has 9 albums I think many of which reached UK number one. SZA has two albums which did little over here. Anyway you cut it Lana is bigger. Her Reading Leeds announcement seemed to go down well too on social media.

That said , can you imagine she was headling the full thing and came on late cause of her hair lol

Just now, gooner1990 said:

When the Reading Festival line up started to consistently pull away from acts I liked I stopped going. 

"When the Reading Festival line up started to consistently book acts for people younger than me I stopped going." 

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Other stage headliners look fairly weak (National excluded) as do Pyramid Subs. Third down last time had Capaldi (mega star) and Foos (obv playing well below their billing).

I think this year has objectively smaller artists looking at it

TBF 2023 wasn't stellar either, take Elton out and it suffers a lot.

For comparison the 2022 poster in terms of "drop everything to see"

Kendrick, Macca, Diana Ross, Wet Leg, Little Simz, Lorde, Confidence Man, Sam Fender...

Just now, FloopFiller said:

Yeah you’re definitely right about that. Emily argued that Lizzo was a fourth headliner last year - really think she’d struggle to do that with one of the subs this time. 

Yeah if SZA can headline, Lizzo or Lana could and should have. Especially when they clearly struggled last year too to get the third name.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Kendrick, Macca, Diana Ross, Wet Leg, Little Simz, Lorde, Confidence Man, Sam Fender...

22 was ok. Only Macca above had me tickled. Friday afternoon was great and the rest of the weekend was very patchy.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Yeah it had O Rod too I think. 2022 was vintage but there were a lot of artists around post covid. 

I think it's the legacy acts that get the most hype. Elton was a last chance type thing too same with Macca. They obv tried for Madonna and didn't get her. Switching her for SZA and people would be saying it's iconic. Small margins between it being great and average. The bookers can only do so much.

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"When the Reading Festival line up started to consistently book acts for people younger than me I stopped going." 

Well if that's how you want to frame it then fine. 

Either way I stopped going rather than to continuing to buy a ticket and then complain about the line up.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

And Elbow... I can see some TBA on the horizon... 

Has to be ! Thought Suede would be there, always time I suppose. Fontaines, Idles, the National, these shows will all be epic. Add in some Americana on the acoustic and secret sets etc, it'll be brilliant. The rest of the lineup is extremely underwhelming tbh. I'm getting older, but 2 of the 3 headliners, I couldn't name a single tune from either, SZA, hadn't actually heard of this artist until the chatter on here last week.

In April we trust !!

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Who the f**k was the american act emily mentioned in the podcast? Obv it fits in with SZA but timelines suggest it isn't her. Won't be Stevie W cause of the 2 women thing and Coldplay clearly being on the agenda for ages. 

Must have been Stevie Wonder.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Mate, people have been saying SZA will be as good as Kendrick, Simz and Confidence Man are there, LDP are this year's Wet Leg. Avril will have as many as Lorde. The undercard is as strong. 

I reckon this is a "one big name to bump SZA to sub" away from being a stunner lineup. 

Dua - Coldplay - Madonna

Dua - Coldplay - Bruce

Dua - Coldplay - Stevie Wonder 

even

Dua - Coldplay - Stevie Nicks

...with that undercard, would be an all-timer. Not dissing SZA, but Dua was already the "bump up".

47 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Although me and the 3 other people who were at St Vincent a couple of years ago would probably be happy to see her back, I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't a big fan.

Anyway, there's still loads to be announced.

I assume she'll announce stuff soon with a new album coming up, but that crowd at her Glasto set was surprisingly shallow.

4 hours ago, kugglaw said:

Very boring line ip. Lots of stuff I either don’t know or am just not interested in. Why is the lineup so mid?

Treat it as an opportunity to listen to stuff that you don't know and expand your musical worldview 🙂

• Upvote 2

I'm struggling to see where the money has been spent personally. 

Coldplay - Said to not get paid very much whenever they play as they are friends of the festival. Their tours make fortunes also so not like they need the extra money at their age. One of a few acts who still make a lot of money from their music too given how many records they sell. 

SZA - Somebody I wasn't aware even existed a few weeks ago. Even if she's popular with the youth I can't imagine she's asking for huge fees given she's hardly a big name outside of the US. 

Dua Lipa - I'd hazard a guess at her being the most expensive of the 3 headliners given her universal popularity. It's not music I listen to but I appreciate that anyone who listens to mainstream stuff she's about as big as anyone around right now. 

A

re we seeing the knock on effect of bands and artists now demanding more money to play? Festivals, not just Glasto, as a whole this year look weaker than usual and I have my suspicions that's because the budgets aren't stretching as far as they once did. You only have to look at how much gig tickets have increased over the last 3 years. 

I think the stellar line ups of the past are going to be very hard to replicate again now sadly. 

3 hours ago, PolygonWindow said:

Missed out on a ticket this year, was absolutely devastated at the time and been dreading this day for months.

Glasto know they can throw their weight around to justify the £360. They could have Basel Brush headline and people would still go. Whether that’s right or wrong I don’t know but it’s just the way it is. 

First time lurkers/ people going for the first time, do not let it bother you if you hate the line up. It’s still an unbelievable experience.. the weather is 10 x more important imo. They’ll always be something to do. Have a toffee apple cider on my behalf and get stuck in! Enjoy all!!

I saw Basil Brush last year and he put in a good performance I thought. Most of crowd didn't know who he was, my 3 and 5 year olds didn't

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aj6658 said:

Real Talk - Is SZA the weakest Sunday headliner in the last 2 decades? Think Moby in 2003 was the last time 

We had Kasabian and The Who back to back in the last decade. A third or fourth round draft pick headliner is a risk associated with a strategy of booking monster legacy headline acts and the largest current acts around.

I'd argue given the hits they've had, it's still a good strategy. And SZA will be excellent.

3 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

I think the stellar line ups of the past are going to be very hard to replicate again now sadly. 

I’ve parroted this a few times now but yeah, Emily literally said post-2022 that there was never gonna be another lineup as strong as that one again. I thought she might’ve just been hyping up how good that lineup was, but seems like she could see the struggles that were gonna have henceforth what with their limited budget and acts suddenly demanding more post-Covid along with Brexit f**king everything up, and it’s quite apparent with a lot of the lineup with certain acts looking one or two places too high and certain big names of old no longer being booked.