Shambala 2024

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Have you got a copy of the rules or been shown in writing what Oxam's Policy & Procedures Documents specifically say in this area?

I’m now going to check this out 

16 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Have you got a copy of the rules or been shown in writing what Oxam's Policy & Procedures Documents specifically say in this area?

Tbh it's a pretty standard rule across most festivals that staff are expected to camp / park in staff areas, with licencing usually given as the reason. Though usually with a blind eye turned as long as people aren't being too blatant about it.

Of the festivals I've worked at, the only one that didn't have this rule was End Of The Road.

One other potential logistical issue is that the public Campervan/Caravan fields won't open until Thursday, with staff arrival being Wednesday.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Tbh it's a pretty standard rule across most festivals that staff are expected to camp / park in staff areas, with licencing usually given as the reason. Though usually with a blind eye turned as long as people aren't being too blatant about it.

Of the festivals I've worked at, the only one that didn't have this rule was End Of The Road.

One other potential logistical issue is that the public Campervan/Caravan fields won't open until Thursday, with staff arrival being Wednesday.

Yes, but some rules 'aren't rules - in that they are not written down in Policies & Procedures Documents. They are just what people (owners of companies, managers etc) say are the rules. I was pointing out to @Skip997that if he were (in my mind's eye) kind of 'rabidly' wanting / needing to go to Shambala, then this might be an area that he may like to pursue. If he is able to email a request asking to see the 'rules' in this particular area, and if they would be so kind as to point out the specific rule(es) that negate him being able to achieve what he wants, then he will know that all is 'above board'. Oxfam does have an Open Information Policy after all. 

Oxfam could say that they don't make policy in this area, but just conform to the festivals policies. In that case they will have a copy of that policy in order to have adhered to it in the first place, so could give him access to that information (with the festivals approval)

It may be that Oxfam / Shambala have it sewn up and are watertight etc. However, it may also be that they (like many) just don't want the hassle, and an amicable agreement is made before they have to go tearing their hair out trying to conform fully to their own states rules etc

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

@Yoghurt on a Stick

They could be a little more flexible on this.

There have been Oxfam stewarding vacancies for Shambala for quite some time. They may not even meet their quota.

I’ve emailed them several times, so they know I’m keen.

Good luck.

And, as I suggested to another efester recently, it can (I am convinced of it) help, if you use 'The Force'

image.png

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Have you had any luck with the campervan situation?

Waiting on a reply from Shambala. 
Hopefully they’ll step in.

Have temporarily given up on Oxfam sorting it out.

Edited by Skip997

On 7/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, but some rules 'aren't rules - in that they are not written down in Policies & Procedures Documents. They are just what people (owners of companies, managers etc) say are the rules. I was pointing out to @Skip997that if he were (in my mind's eye) kind of 'rabidly' wanting / needing to go to Shambala, then this might be an area that he may like to pursue. If he is able to email a request asking to see the 'rules' in this particular area, and if they would be so kind as to point out the specific rule(es) that negate him being able to achieve what he wants, then he will know that all is 'above board'. Oxfam does have an Open Information Policy after all. 

Oxfam could say that they don't make policy in this area, but just conform to the festivals policies. In that case they will have a copy of that policy in order to have adhered to it in the first place, so could give him access to that information (with the festivals approval)

It may be that Oxfam / Shambala have it sewn up and are watertight etc. However, it may also be that they (like many) just don't want the hassle, and an amicable agreement is made before they have to go tearing their hair out trying to conform fully to their own states rules etc

Yeah you'll likely only get the standard "computer says no" response from Oxfam.

If you turn up to site with a public camper pass though I would bet that 99% of the time you'll get let in. There might be a difference between what someone in an office says and what someone on sight dealing with it there and then says. 

I'd let him on, but I probably won't get the early shift unfortunately!

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

If you turn up to site with a public camper pass though I would bet that 99% of the time you'll get let in.

Once gates are open, yes.

The biggest issue as I see it would be needing to arrive for registration by Wednesday evening, but those campervan fields being left sterile before noon Thursday.

13 hours ago, incident said:

Once gates are open, yes.

The biggest issue as I see it would be needing to arrive for registration by Wednesday evening, but those campervan fields being left sterile before noon Thursday.

I meant in the Oxfam field itself. If you physically turn up, no pass, then I reckon at somewhere like Shambala there's a good chance you'd be able to talk your way in.

21 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I meant in the Oxfam field itself. If you physically turn up, no pass, then I reckon at somewhere like Shambala there's a good chance you'd be able to talk your way in.

Possibly, but I’m not willing to risk a 5 hour drive, £200+ in diesel to have to park in the car park and stay in a tiny tent 

21 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Possibly, but I’m not willing to risk a 5 hour drive, £200+ in diesel to have to park in the car park and stay in a tiny tent 

I could take a spare tent you can stand up in if you like. Embrace the nylon...

On 7/26/2024 at 4:07 PM, Skip997 said:

Why don’t you tent camp Wednesday night then Thursday you can move your camper van around to the public campervan area where the gates open.

48 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Why don’t you tent camp Wednesday night then Thursday you can move your camper van around to the public campervan area where the gates open.

Thought about that, but chance of camper van ticket has gone 

On 3/21/2024 at 2:53 PM, Old_Johno said:

There’s a few decent things on there, unfortunately (much like every festival) not many big names, even compared to the last few years. 

‘but we dont go for the music’ I hear you cry, which is fine, but last year all the micro venues were rammed you used to be able to pitch up at the start time but now its get there an hour in advance much harder to bumble around, house party had crushes to get in on the Friday which is where I guess Hot Cakes Takeover will be, huge queues to get into the enchanted woodlands after dark. You need big names because you need the majority of punters to be at the main stage where the room is.  I couldn’t even pick the obvious headliners out of the lineup. Maybe Henge for Friday night? Bob Vylann Sunday evening after closing ceremony. 

I love shambala but this year there’s a lot of changes without Kaleida coming in, and the new site layouts, although maybe its just me I’ve been enjoying it less and less the last few years. Might be a good thing and attract fewer people who just wanna get High as possible and dont appreciate the vibe.

I don't understand why people equate decent things with big names or the obsession with headliners. Music is music with or without 6 figure stream count on Spotify/Apple Music. There is nothing wrong with going to a fest and not knowing any of the bands. If you want to watch a specific artist, you go to a gig. That's what they are for. Festivals are not gigs though. But I see your point about the overcrowding. Enforcing capacity limits would easily solve this

On 7/24/2024 at 8:42 PM, Skip997 said:

FFS, still Oxfam places left 

No news on getting a camper van spot sorted, so looks like I’ll have to miss out this year 

I wonder why are there so many vacancies. Last year, it was super hard to come by one. I was checking regularly