Shambala 2024

Got a question for regulars.

How big is the site/how much walking can there be? (I do appreciate the service question is hard to answer cos everyone is different)

I'm asking because I have a problem with my feet. My left foot specifically. I had to drop out of Glastonbury because of it. It's not that I can't walk, it's just that I shouldn't walk too much. Essentially I have neuropathy in my feet caused by diabetes. I developed a bad ulcer on my left foot which has taken an age to heal. It is now healed but the skin around it is still very delicate and too much walking could aggravate it causing more problems. The situation is much much better than it was in June (plus obviously Glastonbury is so huge). Just to complicate matters further I'm stewarding for Oxfam (I am going to contact Oxfam about this).

56 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

How big is the site/how much walking can there be? (I do appreciate the service question is hard to answer cos everyone is different)

I'm asking because I have a problem with my feet. My left foot specifically. I had to drop out of Glastonbury because of it. It's not that I can't walk, it's just that I shouldn't walk too much. Essentially I have neuropathy in my feet caused by diabetes. I developed a bad ulcer on my left foot which has taken an age to heal. It is now healed but the skin around it is still very delicate and too much walking could aggravate it causing more problems. The situation is much much better than it was in June (plus obviously Glastonbury is so huge). Just to complicate matters further I'm stewarding for Oxfam (I am going to contact Oxfam about this).

Including all the car parks and camping, the entire site is probably about the size of the pyramid stage field. 

Generally flat, tracks on the main walkways. 

8 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Including all the car parks and camping, the entire site is probably about the size of the pyramid stage field. 

Generally flat, tracks on the main walkways. 

Thank you, that gives me something to work with

13 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Assuming Oxfam come through with suitable Reasonable Adjustments, you should be fine.

While it's not an "arena" festival, 90% of what you're going to be interested in is located in a reasonably concentrated and flat area that's pretty close to the Oxfam campsite - relative to the map, the Oxfam campsite would usually be located at approximately Q25 (it hasn't changed for years, I'm assuming it won't this time). Blue and Pink campsites are also flat, the only (still fairly gentle) incline is on the Orange and Green campsites.

image.thumb.png.8ae2b87f60a634b4186ad546fe6419b0.png

13 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

And people who have stewarded ( @Skip997 @incident possibly?), what sort of positions do Oxfam cover normally? Understanding this can change.

Oxfam have Campsites (including fire towers), Venues, Internal Gates, etc. Basically everything except Entrance Gates.

There's a lot of stewards, far more than you'd usually get at similar sized festivals and for the most part Shambala are pretty good at not skimping on positions or numbers (though of course inevitably there can be gaps).

Thank you, that's all useful. 

Flat or not isn't the issue, it's literally just the act of walking (and the pressure that puts on the sole of my foot) that's the problem so a compact site is good. And as much as I normally hate them, a fire tower would be a good option for my situation.

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Thank you, that's all useful. 

Flat or not isn't the issue, it's literally just the act of walking (and the pressure that puts on the sole of my foot) that's the problem so a compact site is good. And as much as I normally hate them, a fire tower would be a good option for my situation.

It’s not a very big site 

A number of general entry tickets and camper van passes have become available if anyone is interested.

Personally I’m not prepared to send about £650 (inc diesel), plus my van is currently out of action. 

All Oxfam places have been taken 

Just now, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Ben,

Long time, no talk. Hope you and yours are all happy and well.

Hope you have a ball at Shambala.

xxx

Hi Yog!

Ditto - and my bad. I keep meaning to get in touch!

I shall do so soon. I have news.

Ben
x

• Upvote 1

The app is out. 

I like it. 

Seems to work quite well, nicely designed. 

Simple thing, but the fact the stage name stays on screen as you scroll across. Not all apps think of this.

I like the list of vendors including menus with prices. 

Other info, there's a price freeze on the bars, prices ATM very reasonable for festivals. Pints and spirits/mixers between £5.60 and £5.90.

Of interest to me there are two draft alcohol free beers. Clear Head IPA which is very tasty, and Wish You Were Beer which I've never had before.

On 8/1/2024 at 6:56 PM, philipsteak said:

The app is out. 

I like it. 

Seems to work quite well, nicely designed. 

Simple thing, but the fact the stage name stays on screen as you scroll across. Not all apps think of this.

I like the list of vendors including menus with prices. 

Other info, there's a price freeze on the bars, prices ATM very reasonable for festivals. Pints and spirits/mixers between £5.60 and £5.90.

Of interest to me there are two draft alcohol free beers. Clear Head IPA which is very tasty, and Wish You Were Beer which I've never had before.

Is it a new app or just an update?

I'm still getting last year’s map and lineup on mine 

On 8/1/2024 at 5:02 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Great news, Skip.

Sooooo looking forward to it. Three weeks today!

Ben

@bennyhana22 We are also going to Shambala, I will be with the family, but don't know anyone else attending. Would be good to meet over the weekend. Any top recommendations appreciated too!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Skip997 said:

You need to delete the old app before installing the new one 

The old one has now updated itself. Must have been due to lack of signal at Wilderness. 
See you in a couple of weeks 

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2024 at 9:42 AM, Adam75 said:

@bennyhana22 We are also going to Shambala, I will be with the family, but don't know anyone else attending. Would be good to meet over the weekend. Any top recommendations appreciated too!

Great news, Adam!

Likewise, would love to meet up anytime.

I'm going with Mrs Benny and three of her friends, though they are in a rather nice clamping tent, whilst I will, naturally, remain with the great unwashed! I do, of course, see the ladies over the course of the festival, but am mostly flying solo, set-wise.

Recs for dance stuff:

Friday (Data Mine is mostly electro and DnB. Friday seems to be the electro night)

Ekata - Data Mine 2300-0000 (tho' I will likely be watching Scaler on Solasta)

Plant43 - Data Mine 0000-0100

DMX Krew - Data Mine 0100-0200

KKTA - Rebel Soul 0200-0400 (her set in 2022 was excellent)

Saturday

Sunden (Live) - Amniothèque 2300-0000

ADJ - Data Mine 0000-0100

Radioactive Man - Data Mine 0100-0200

Annx b2b Wednesday - Amniothèque 0130-0500 - set of the weekend; could be glorious

Acidfairy & Sprocket - Squatter's Tights 0300-0500 (this will be hard acid techno)

Sunday (Sunday night is a little bit thin for me...might be a case of following my ears)

Possibles:

babyschön - Amniothèque 0000-0130

Gallegos - Reflex 0200-0330

That's It - Reflex (0300-0500)

Hope to hook up sometime.

Ben

x

Edited by bennyhana22

23 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Great news, Adam!

Likewise, would love to meet up anytime.

I'm going with Mrs Benny and three of her friends, though they are in a rather nice clamping tent, whilst I will, naturally, remain with the great unwashed! I do, of course, see the ladies over the course of the festival, but am mostly flying solo, set-wise.

Recs for dance stuff:

Friday (Data Mine is mostly electro and DnB. Friday seems to be the electro night)

Ekata - Data Mine 2300-0000 (tho' I will likely be watching Scaler on Solasta)

Plant43 - Data Mine 0000-0100

DMX Krew - Data Mine 0100-0200

KKTA - Rebel Soul 0200-0400 (her set in 2022 was excellent)

Saturday

Sunden (Live) - Amniothèque 2300-0000

ADJ - Data Mine 0000-0100

Radioactive Man - Data Mine 0100-0200

Anne b2b Wednesday - Amniothèque 0130-0500 - set of the weekend; could be glorious

Acidfairy & Sprocket - Squatter's Tights 0300-0500 (this will be hard acid techno)

Sunday (Sunday night is a little bit thin for me...might be a case of following my ears)

Possibles:

babyschön - Amniothèque 0000-0130

Gallegos - Reflex 0200-0330

That's It - Reflex (0300-0500)

Hope to hook up sometime.

Ben

x

Flying solo too, be nice to meet for a drink or two 🙂 

• Like 1